Minecraft 1.8 Leaked, now official Pre-Release!

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

You can get it here. Just go to your .minecraft folder in /appdata and paste the .jar over your current one.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/611 ... e-release/

This is the first incentive to start a new map in a long time. I'm having quite a bit of fun with it. Experience blobs are win.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

Damn. Now I have to decide between Deus Ex and Minecraft tonight....
I love having to make these choices! :)

RCA

POKEMOBS!
Encryptshun wrote:Damn. Now I have to decide between Deus Ex and Minecraft tonight....
I love having to make these choices! :)
Deus Ex is a single player game with 20hours of game play.

Dead Island is a single/ co op game with 60 hours game play. I would go Dead island.

Encryptshun

Um, I meant I had to decide between playing Minecraft and Deus Ex. Where did Dead Island come into this?

RCA

Ah I thought you were trying to figure out which one you would buy. I suggested Dead Island instead of Deus Ex if you went that route.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

So I started up the game, dug myself a nice home, got a chest full of useful stuff, and had to go wander off to find sheep. OF COURSE while chasing down a sheep amongst trees I got turned around, and lost my way. I tried heading north, south, and was giving west a try when I found a village. Abandoned. Screw my little hovel in the ground, I moved into one of the two adjacent large building in the village, knocked out the walls between them, joined them together, and crapped out some tools and a bed (with the wool from the sheep I was killing when I got lost). Goodbye old spawn point, hello new. Next up: security upgrades and double-thick walls.

RCA

Makes sure to put a water source block in between the each layer of the wall.

Encryptshun

Apparently I've found my sources for all things Minecraft!

MoD, can you move your spawn point in 1.8? Why double-thick walls? Creepers don't explode unless they are less than one block from you, so what's the advantage?

RCA, what's the function of placing the water source block?

I am very excited -- when I upgraded my PC and re-installed MC on the new drive, I thought I'd lost my old worlds. I found them last night and copied my saves over. So happy days are here again. My primary world I started over a year ago and has probably 200+ hours invested.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Encryptshun wrote:Apparently I've found my sources for all things Minecraft!

MoD, can you move your spawn point in 1.8? Why double-thick walls? Creepers don't explode unless they are less than one block from you, so what's the advantage?

RCA, what's the function of placing the water source block?

I am very excited -- when I upgraded my PC and re-installed MC on the new drive, I thought I'd lost my old worlds. I found them last night and copied my saves over. So happy days are here again. My primary world I started over a year ago and has probably 200+ hours invested.
You can move your spawn point with a bed, which has been possible for a few versions now.

The bed is also one reason for the double-thick walls. It's due to the way the game handles mob spawns while sleeping. If you sleep within 2 blocks of a spot where a monster could spawn, there's a chance your sleep will be interrupted and you'll be awoken and attacked. The problem is that the mob will always spawn next to you, so what ends up happening is a rude awakening to a monster IN YOUR HOUSE, next to your bed. Double thick walls prevent this. You can also simply place the bed away from any walls, but double-thick walls also help reduce explosion damage, so you're killing two birds with one stone.

Water stops explosion damage to blocks. So lining your walls with water means you're creeper-proofed. I don't like that approach, though. It's clunky and impedes visibility. The double-thick wall should prevent explosions and combined with a 2+ layer foundation should prevent any breaches to the home.

The problem with old worlds is that you miss out on lots of update features. You need to generate a new world to benefit from the update. This one in particular.

Encryptshun

Thanks for the info! I did not know the effects of beds, though I've used them in my last two worlds. As for generating a new world to take advantage of the update, I fully intend to. But I like the option of having my old worlds in case I want to go back to a simpler time or look at my old designs to see if I want to improve on them. :)

RCA

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Water stops explosion damage to blocks. So lining your walls with water means you're creeper-proofed. I don't like that approach, though. It's clunky and impedes visibility. The double-thick wall should prevent explosions and combined with a 2+ layer foundation should prevent any breaches to the home.
Well this is true, the water source block in my idea is so if/when an "Enderman" takes a piece of your wall, it gets blasted by water.

Encryptshun

So I got to spend some quality time with 1.8 over the weekend. I didn't even bother building an initial dugout shelter -- there was an abandoned village about half a click, so I just started there right off. I pretty much turned the whole village into a keep and merged four buildings into one massive castle.

Thoughts: Endermen are a pain in the a**. They are insanely easy to defeat, but they kept reaching through my solid walls and carrying off my workbench. I relocated it to an interior wall but it was like they always knew where it was initially.

Also, THERE ARE NO CHICKENS. Is it possible that I somehow got dropped in a biome where chickens just don't happen? There are pigs, sheep, and cows. This obviously makes arrows impossible to make, since zombies now drop rotten flesh. Weird.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Weird...I'm practically wading through chickens regardless of biome (desert aside).

As for Endermen, my solution is fence. Now that gates are available (two stacked rows of stick/plank/stick) you can 100% enclose your home in fence. Enderman can't pick up fences.

Encryptshun

Thanks for the tip about the fences, MoD! I'll try that.

Also, how exactly do you change your spawn point from the default to where your bed is? I have a bed, but I still spawn in my original location. Does it not happen until you actually use it to sleep?

Oh, and what if you have beds in more than one location? Can you pick which one?

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Yeah, you have to actually sleep in the bed for it to change your spawnpoint. If you have multiple beds, the spawn point will always be the most recently slept-in bed. There's no way to choose between multiple beds, even if you've slept in all of them at some point.

Encryptshun

Gotcha!

I never really use the bed, because I like to work outside during the day and mine at night. No time for sleep!

I'll use it tonight. Thanks for the tip!

Maybe if I sleep, a wandering chicken will appear...

RCA

Do you guys know if the Enderman grab blocks on the "x & y" axis? If not, why not build under ground so there are no walls to destroy.

Return to “Gaming”