Military is bad

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
confedup
Car: 240sx

Quote »Evict the military recruitment station, cage the recruiters!On Wednesday, March 19, POG (Pittsburgh Organizing Group) will be holding a torch-lit march to a modern day castle of abominations—our local military recruiting station. If the station remains open, we intend to evict it and everything inside of it, occupy the location, and transform it into something useful for the community. We'll also be bringing a movable cage in which to confine military recruiters until they no longer pose a danger to our friends and neighbors. Of course, the station may be closed and recruiters may flee or hide behind the police apparatus that enables the war to continue. That is often the case, and we've seen in the past the overwhelming resources the state directs against these anniversary events because of their importance as a symbol of dissent. We believe in acting effectively, in confronting the war, at times and places of our choosing. When the state brings the resources necessary to suppress direct action against the war, it makes sense to hold a symbolic protest, and we still consider that a success, as it exposes the reality that it is ultimately on the local level that our countries war policy will be decided.[/quote]Guess they are trying to follow in the footsteps of Code Pink?

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

FYI,CONFEDUP is probably just posting up something that someone else wrote. They are probably not his own opinions.bud

Cold_Zero

My view on Code Pink and these types of groups is that if they dont want the military in their state, the Great State of Indiana would gladly take their bases, jobs and the money that the Military contributes to the local economy, off their state's hands. We would gladly take them. We lost most of our bases.bud

Sil40_Mayhem
Car: 1995 240SX 5spd/1992 Integra LS

I'm not understanding the point of your post. Perhaps you can clear things up for me...

Quote »On Wednesday, March 19, POG (Pittsburgh Organizing Group) will be holding a torch-lit march to a modern day castle of abominations—our local military recruiting station. If the station remains open, we intend to evict it and everything inside of it, occupy the location, and transform it into something useful for the community.[/quote]Let me make this clear: I am not in support of our country's current war efforts, though I adamantly support our men and women answering the call of duty. That said, our current wartime predicament, while being carried out by the military, is being run by... wait for it... our elected political leaders. Wanna protest something? Start on Capitol Hill, and work your way to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. I doubt our military would have much latitude to invade other countries or to engage in any manner of armed conflict without permission (or orders) from our government.

Quote »We'll also be bringing a movable cage in which to confine military recruiters until they no longer pose a danger to our friends and neighbors. Of course, the station may be closed and recruiters may flee or hide behind the police apparatus that enables the war to continue.[/quote]Umm, last time I checked, the draft hasn't been instituted since around the time of the Vietnam War. Unless I'm missing something, people are walking into recruiting stations of their own volition. Sure, recruiters may employ deceptive, subversive tactics to get someone to sign up (not unlike your average salesman), but it's still a free choice for the potential recruit to make. Again, these guys are just doing their job. How would you like it if someone tried to run you and your colleagues from your place of business because they disproved of what you/your company did?

Quote »We believe in acting effectively, in confronting the war, at times and places of our choosing. When the state brings the resources necessary to suppress direct action against the war, it makes sense to hold a symbolic protest, and we still consider that a success, as it exposes the reality that it is ultimately on the local level that our countries war policy will be decided.[/quote]Okay, you lost me here. Are you trying to provoke the state into using force against you? Are we in some third world country where 'peaceful' protest would be suppressed by force? Also, concerning our nation's war policy, I think it would take a bit more that one small protest at a recruiting station to alter anything. However, getting many people to get in the ears of their state's representatives and making their voices heard by way of voting would have a much greater impact on the way business gets done.

So again, am I missing something?

confedup

Just posting up something for discussion. This was a new article linked on freerepublic.

No, I'm not anti-military in the least and think we probably need more recruiting stations

Sil40_Mayhem

Ah, and so CZ was right. Anyhoo, that's my opinion on the matter. I tend to think that left wing/right wing doesn't matter so much... until either is followed by the word 'extremist.' Regardless of whether it's right field or left field, if you go out too far, then you're out of touch with reality as far as I'm concerned.

Cold_Zero

Con,I tried to save you from the flame_fest...

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

confedup wrote:Just posting up something for discussion. This was a new article linked on freerepublic.

No, I'm not anti-military in the least and think we probably need more recruiting stations
I think I was supporting their right to protest until I read the part about imprisoning the recruiters. Typically, they may find that they have bit off more than they can chew. I hope they start at the Marine Corps office, where I imagine they might be surprised who ends up in the cage.

Sil40_Mayhem, It is a circle. When you get too far to the right, you aren't that far from the left. It is but a circle.

confedup

Sil40_Mayhem wrote:Ah, and so CZ was right. Anyhoo, that's my opinion on the matter. I tend to think that left wing/right wing doesn't matter so much... until either is followed by the word 'extremist.' Regardless of whether it's right field or left field, if you go out too far, then you're out of touch with reality as far as I'm concerned.
Extremist = fringe, which means they are the most vocal of everyone and most forceful for you to follow their determination of truth. Right nor Left wing extremists should have a say in anything. I am so sick and tired of organizations like Code Pink, PETA-extremists, the one mentioned in the article, the group that protests at soldiers funerals, etc. getting so much press. They need to be ignored and do what the rest of us do: Complain to your elected officials.

confedup

Cold_Zero wrote:Con,I tried to save you from the flame_fest...
I can "hang" with the best of'em. Thanks tho.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Last time I checked we had a volunteer military. Maybe those people should live in a country that requires graduating students to serve a year in the military. Recruiters are essentially the salesmen that make it happen.

confedup

rn79870 wrote:
I think I was supporting their right to protest until I read the part about imprisoning the recruiters. Typically, they may find that they have bit off more than they can chew. I hope they start at the Marine Corps office, where I imagine they might be surprised who ends up in the cage.
Yes and no. When places like Berkley intentionally put Code Pink parking in front of a recruitment office then it's gone too far. Gov't should NOT be used to press forth the politics of the left nor right fringe.
rn79870 wrote:Sil40_Mayhem, It is a circle. When you get too far to the right, you aren't that far from the left. It is but a circle.
You can't pidgeon-hole people like that. Not everything is black nor white to people in general. Personally I am a conservative and support a wide-range of right-wing policy that is disliked via the left. I'm also pro-choice......and that's about all I can think of that the left want that I support....

confedup

joe603 wrote:Last time I checked we had a volunteer military. Maybe those people should live in a country that requires graduating students to serve a year in the military. Recruiters are essentially the salesmen that make it happen.
This is directed to whom?

Anyway, even the military has standards. The 40%-ish dropout rate kinda screws the pooch. Recruiters have a job to do and you can always say "no thanks".

mtcookson
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

Fixed your post for you, now there will be no confusion.

Rick Damone Jr

Words cannot describe my hatred for these code pink traitors..

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

confedup wrote:
This is directed to whom?

Anyway, even the military has standards. The 40%-ish dropout rate kinda screws the pooch. Recruiters have a job to do and you can always say "no thanks".
To POG and code pink...

_dk
Car: 1991 RB20DET coupe

words fail me.

if you oppose the war, how 'bout talking to the politicians who put us there?

just a thought.

Sil40_Mayhem

_dk wrote:words fail me.

just a thought.
I made the same mistake. He's actually quoting another source, and posted it here to open a dialog about it.

_dk
Car: 1991 RB20DET coupe

Sil40_Mayhem wrote:I made the same mistake. He's actually quoting another source, and posted it here to open a dialog about it.
oh i understood that; i was responding to the ideas of the protestors, not the OP. sorry if that wasn't clear.

Sil40_Mayhem

^ Gotcha.

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

Even my most very left-leaning friends recognize the need for a military.

We live in an imperfect world and we need the means with which to defend ourselves.

That said, it's oddly a conservative who probably supports the smallest military. Ron Paul almost certainly supports the smallest military of any 08 candidate past or present as he is an ardent isolationist.

I'm not talking smack on the guy, I'm just pointing out that it's funny as while the left seems to get hit with this stereotype an ultra-conservative has it as part of his primary agenda.

I think the decision to go into Iraq was absolutely bonehead from a strategic standpoint, but that doesn't mean that it makes a simple cut-and-run a viable alternative. Lots of people get killed in rushed retreats.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

HashiriyaS14 wrote:I think the decision to go into Iraq was absolutely bonehead from a strategic standpoint, but that doesn't mean that it makes a simple cut-and-run a viable alternative. Lots of people get killed in rushed retreats.
Look at the video footage of our pullout from Vietnam. The SV's were begging to have their children taken away for they knew what was coming their way. Very bad thing to see and they were correct to be afraid.

Rick Damone Jr

_dk wrote:words fail me.

just a thought.
Liberals just lack basic logic. They oppose the war so they blame it on the troops, then turn around and act like they support you guys. Its just pathetic.

If you dont support the war you dont support the troops anyways.
audtatious wrote:
Look at the video footage of our pullout from Vietnam. The SV's were begging to have their children taken away for they knew what was coming their way. Very bad thing to see and they were correct to be afraid.
Thats democrats for ya, the party of defeat ( and mass failure )

rn79870

Rick Damone Jr wrote:
Liberals just lack basic logic. They oppose the war so they blame it on the troops, then turn around and act like they support you guys. Its just pathetic.

If you dont support the war you dont support the troops anyways.
If by blame it on the troops you are referring to their Commander in Chief, then I agree.

Can't you be against the war and for the troops? I'm pretty sure most of the troops would rather not be at war.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Even Republicans would rather not be in war. Regardless of what is suggested, Republicans in general are not "War Mongers".

Rick Damone Jr

rn79870 wrote:
If by blame it on the troops you are referring to their Commander in Chief, then I agree.

Can't you be against the war and for the troops? I'm pretty sure most of the troops would rather not be at war.
Most troops would agree that if you dont support the war, you dont SUPPORT THEM. Its like not supporting guns but supporting bullets, just doesnt make sense. People who dont support the war want it to end now, and that means all the brave souls who died defending YOUR freedom wouldve been for nothing.

99.9999% of the troops hate liberals and all leftys. And they should.

rn79870

Okay, I'm a little confused. How will we know when we have won the war? Can you give me a few simple signs to tell when the war has been won?

Thanks.

audtatious

Big parking lot in Irag?

Rick Damone Jr

rn79870 wrote:Okay, I'm a little confused. How will we know when we have won the war? Can you give me a few simple signs to tell when the war has been won?

Thanks.
When violence is at a minimum and we set a stable democracy in Iraq. Its pretty simple actually, liberals are making this harder than it actually is.

rn79870

Rick Damone Jr wrote:
When violence is at a minimum and we set a stable democracy in Iraq. Its pretty simple actually, liberals are making this harder than it actually is.
On May 1, 2003, GW landed on the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln.A few hours later, he gave a speech, under a banner stating "Mission Accomplished, announcing the end of major combat operations in the Iraq ."

Since then, things have gotten far worse in the terms of the costs (monetary and otherwise) of the war. Violence was "at a minimum" when GW gave that speech.

Who are these liberals you speak of?

Return to “Politics Etc.”