Mikuni PHH 44 expectations?

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
Thunderlane
Car: Datsun 260Z w/ L28 Swap (Poorly done)

Okay!

So, I've had my Z for almost a year now, and It is time to start upgrading! Now, it is important to me that I get all of my bases covered before I begin to go for power upgrades, so I have to make sure the engine can inhale and exhale properly, the car can walk, jog, run, pirouette and stop properly, and then I can address things like turbochargers and such. BUT, I digress!

I am presently looking into an exhaust system (I'm reading mixed reviews about MSA exhausts, but that is a topic for another day) but after that, I am going to be addressing the carbs OR the suspension depending on what I read here.

The question of the day is: In the current market, what is the word on finding some genuine Mikuni PHH 44s, and all the bits required to install them? I know that several companies offer rebuild kits and some of the smaller parts, but I am struggling to find the ACTUAL carburetors. I am going to begin posting want ads on several Datsun/Nissan forums, but what kind of price should I be expecting to pay for these carbs and an intake manifold/throttle linkage to match?

The reason I want to go with the Mikunis is so that, if the opportunity presents itself, I can use an HKS surge tank (or a custom fabbed replica) for a turbo set-up, but I also have read that Mikunis are easy to tune and dial in properly. The other reasons are that I am a bit of a blue-blood addict and like the idea of building a car with "the right parts" to be accurate. Oh, and I'm an anime nerd, and I understand that the Devil Z runs Triple Mikunis and a Surge Tank modified for twin-turbos (but that's all in pretend land).

So, if y'all can help me with my query of the day, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

(Oh, and the reason I posted this as a new thread, is because I wanted to ask in the current market, and I didn't know if information in old threads and classifieds was still accurate!)

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

There is nothing easy about tuning triple 2 barrel carbs no matter the brand. patience and a wideband O2 and a pile of spare jets, bleeds etc will be required no matter than band. Mikuni/Solex are far more difficult to come by than Webbers which are still available.

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

Since you are just starting out and are not insisting on some kind of authenticity, you may want to consider converting to a modern fuel injection. I offer the following link for your consideration:

http://www.pattonmachine.com/index.htm

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”