Might be getting a CA18DET

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
RiceNWater
Car: CARS

Okay, as (bad)luck may have it, I may be getting a CA18DET. I've spent most of my time having the intention of getting an SR that now this may be the best alternative. Could you guys please let me know what to look for when puchasing a CA motor? Is the swap similar to an SR's?

Daunttless

The swap is similar, just look for a high quality engine. That's the biggest concern.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

The CA is a bulletproof mill, you should consider it good luck to be getting one. SRs are overrated.

RiceNWater
Car: CARS

Is there any places I can find specs and more info on CA's? How about completeness? Can I use some U.S. Pulsar parts in place of a missing pieces? what about weaknesses and strength's? Like I said, I had no interest in the CA until I decided I needed to save some money.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

The only consistent failure is the #1 con rod bearing spins, pay attention to your oil system.To a lesser degree they can melt pistons but that is any motor pushed to hard on old cast pistons. being an iron block this is not catastrophic like it sometimes is in the alloy SR block.

Other than that keep in mind it is a timing belt type engine and it has no sense of humor if it breaks in operation. If you get a used motor and put it in without rebuilding it be sure to check for sludge in the oil pan and get rid of any you find, change the timing belt and the slew of little hoses under the intake before putting it in.

paul_s13

I would plan to change the oil pump and all the conrod/main bearings when you get the engine, it would be worth it.

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

CA18DE pulsair oil pump and bearings all fit :)

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”