Michigan: Great Lakes Z Club BBQ: 4/30/11 - Open Invite

Including IL, IN, KY, TN, MI, and OH
Phreakdout
Car: 2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster

Great Lakes Z Club???

Yes! Established in February 2011, the GLZC is growing quickly. Check out Great Lakes Z Club | News and events for the Great Lakes Z car club for more information. Be sure to check out the forums link to see more of what's going on!

The Z Club is open to Nissan enthusiasts who drive any generation Nissan Z, Infiniti G, Nissan Skyline or 240SX (S13-15 chassis). All of these platforms are RWD based and are part of Nissan's long racing heritage.

On to this weekend's event! The GLZC Spring BBQ at Kensington Metro Park in Milford, Michigan. We will secure LOT F - Orchard Park (Sledding area) This area has a good parking lot for us to gather, a nice picnic shelter should there be a few drops of rain and public bathrooms. We should be located away from the typical jogger and fisherman traffic. See the map below.

Who: Pretty much anybody with a Z/G/240 or Nissan/Infiniti is invited as long as you are mature, responsible, and cool to hangout with. We will not tolerate burnouts, revving, etc. You do not have to be a member to come, so feel free to come, bring the family, and meet the group to see what we're all about.

How: The picnic will be potluck style. Attendees can either bring a food/drink/utensil or chip in a couple bucks (maybe $5? depending on how much you eat lol). I will update this post with a list of who's bringing what so we don't have a 20 packs of soda or something. We will ask folks to bring something to share. (Hot Dogs w/ Buns and/or frozen burgers & buns are appreciated as usually we get flooded with chips and cokes. ) We will have a couple gas grills going to keep feeding everyone.

Please help us plan the attendance. Please register on our forum and post up if you are going, especially if you plan to bring food. The park does have a grill that is first come first serve so we will be BBQ'ing, I will probably arrive pretty darn early to scope out the spot for us.

Forum: greatlakeszclub.com - View topic - Spring BBQ - Saturday, April 30th

If you'd rather just send a note saying what you'll bring and how many guests, send an email to: [email protected]

BTW: The Metro Park has a general $5 entry fee at the gate. If you buy the $20 year long pass, you can return as often as you like. We may do a Fall BBQ so just keep that in mind.

Those who wish to donate, the suggested donation to this event is $5 / person. We will use this money to pick up more food if necessary. If you bring something, there is no requirement to donate.

Donors and those who bring something will get an event wrist band. Everyone that brings something to the BBQ, or brings $5 toward the BBQ also gets a raffle ticket to win a custom, personalized 18"x24" full color, high quality, glossy poster of their choice (preferably, their car!). If your guest/significant other wants a chance to win, they too must donate $5 or a food contribution to the club BBQ. Only one ticket per person.

So, don't forget to ask a GLZC staff member for your raffle ticket. We will draw the winner at the BBQ. If you do not already have a high-resolution photo that you would like to use, we can take a picture of your car at the park.

Here is an example of one rolled up - they do flatten out..

The park is one of the nicest metro parks I've been to, with a big lake in the center, you can rent canoes, ride bikes etc. We'll have a football, frisbee and anything other activity (maybe cornhole for you midwesterners).

Bring some lawn chairs and come meet your local Z-Nuts. For anyone who wishes to join the Great Lakes Z Club, I will have applications on site and if you pay on site, you can immediately receive your window stickers.

We will have folks there from 11am to about 4pm. (Maybe longer if the event is still hopping and we have food left to eat.)

After the BBQ ....

Several members want to head out to see the latest Fast and Furious Movie at the Novi Theater off I-96 and Novi Road. Our target show time to be posted later this week. The film premiers this Friday so times are not listed yet.

For the ladies, Vin Diesel and "The Rock" are in the film so you will have something to look at too! See the Preview Below:

YouTube - Universal Pictures - Fast Five

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Hmmm...

So, Brian, it's a paid membership?

And you're here, on a FREE site that's been in operation for nearly 10 years, for the sole purpose to recruit people?

In fact, I see a thread called, "Posting on other forums."

How about no.

Phreakdout

Hey there AZ:

:blush: No, I think you misread our intentions. We are not trying to take members from NICO. We are a local Z Club just like the other 33 clubs spread around the country. (Windy City Z Club, ZROC, Florida Z Club, etc...) We are a club with a website. Our website is not the club itself. The website is only to communicate with other local members. We will never turn it into a national club as large as NICO. I posted this invite on NICO only to invite fellow Nissan enthusiasts to a local meet and have a good time.

Regarding Paid Membership: Um, every Z Club has a membership fee. (The Great Lakes Z Club just applied to the ZCCA to be a charter club so a portion of every member's dues go to the ZCCA to help pay for ZCON. In addition, we also sponsor ZdayZ and other events.)

After looking at the posting, I can appreciate your reaction. I felt it important to make sure you knew we had no malintentions here. I recognize that you personally have been an anchor for many of these Z websites for a very, very long time. Your comments will heavily influence other member's opinions. If you still have some concerns or feel we are still out of line, please contact me via email. [email protected] . We look forward to working with NICO to bring all Z/G members together.

Respectfully,
Brian May
President - Great Lakes Z Club

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Phreakdout wrote: Regarding Paid Membership: Um, every Z Club has a membership fee.
Ahem, http://www.centralvalleyz.org/ is my local Z crew and we have zero membership fees. We're not "registered" or anything, but I'm just saying that not all Z clubs have membership fees. It's about the love of the car, not the recognition you get from being in a club. Your statement is misleading.

Phreakdout

I stand corrected. Your website and roster are quite impressive for a free club. Nice job!

Again, this BBQ in Michigan is open anyone who wants to attend. Member or not.
We're not after anyone's money. We keep completely open books at our monthly meetings so everyone knows how we are to budget and what is spent. We realize, especially in Michigan, that money is tight. We bend over backwards to make sure each and every person feels they got their money's worth.

If at the end of the year, we have a surplus, then we can trim the dues to match the services that our members value. Will that ever get to zero? It would completely change how we are doing things and what we can offer. Perhaps it's possible. We will keep an open mind and perhaps with some occasional tips from your club, we might steer that way. We'll let the members decide.

So with that behind us, let's focus on having a good time at a BBQ and making new friends. All the other stuff is pretty insignificant in comparison.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

You're more than welcome to use the regional forum here for organization and coordination.

Hell, I think it's silly to have a separate forum when we'd GIVE you webspace, bandwidth, and a home for your members - It's paid for, and you'd even be welcome to moderate / manage it yourself. You could put the $ you save towards events and goodies. :)

Regardless, I hope the event is a hit. Let me know if we can assist.

p.s. ZCON is in my backyard next year. Can't wait.

Phreakdout

^^ Thanks AZ! It turned out to be a really good time.

The turnout was great! We had nearly 20 cars attending and enough food for 50! Special thanks to Andy (the grillmaster), Rob (GLZC Vice President) Amar (Club Treasurer) and Steve (Club Secretary). We had a 78 280Z, a few Z32's, many 350Z's and a couple 370Z's including a Nismo 370Z.

We had such a good time that we will do this again this season. Keep watching for future events.

Pics from the event.

Phreakdout

Phreakdout

Return to “Central Region”