Mice in 2000 Maxima

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
JimBonz
Car: 2000 Maxima

Does anyone know how mice can get into a 2000 Maxima? Recently purchased a new vehicle so the Maxima was evicted from the garage and sits in the driveway with a cover. Now, mice are setting up house inside the car. I have killed at least 2 dozen with traps in less than a year. Some from engine bay, interior, and inside trunk. I have searched but cannot find how they are getting in. Anyone?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The most common ways they reach the interior are by chewing through the cowl cover and HVAC grilles, or chewing through the big grommets where the Engine Room Harness pierces the firewall.

world-s-most-industrious-rodent-or-how- ... 30157.html

JimBonz
Car: 2000 Maxima

Thanks for the input. As I stated, I have searched everywhere, including the obvious you suggested. Everything is intact and no chewed holes. Wherever they are getting in is hidden from view. I have looked from inside the engine bay and underneath the car but still cannot find how they are getting in. I was hoping someone may have specific knowledge of this body style and a suggestion where to look I am not aware of. Thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Keep in mind that a full grown mouse can squeeze through a hole smaller than a dime. Like a cat, they can wiggle through any opening that their head will fit through. That means they can chew openings in unlikely places, such as the corner caulking where the A-pillar support, firewall, fender, and floorboard all meet. The only way to locate those sorts of ingresses is to pull the seats and lift the carpets, and if necessary remove the dash.

If you don't mind the smell of peppermint, pep oil is the sovereign chaser for rodentia of all sorts, even raccoons and some non-rodents like opossums. It's cheap at Walmart and a little bit goes a long way. Treating the interior periodically will keep them out without needing to find their ingress.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”