Miata Appreciation

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
Jesda

I'm shopping around for a second car. The Q is racking them up fast since the Mazda MPV was sold, so I'm pondering something light, nimble, and topless. 240s are overpriced thanks to drifters, so the Miata becomes a top choice.

I've been drooling over them since I was a kid, perusing miata.net every day with wanton lust, but something always comes up that keeps me from buying one. Finally, I think I'm prepared to take the plunge, especially with resale values dropping nicely for 90s models.

This one caught my eye:M-Edition Miata: british racing or mica green, headrest speakers, seat vibration bass effect, tan leather, wood shifter. Unf!

I wouldnt buy a car on eBay, but I think with some looking around I could have one, perhaps not a later M-edition, for 2-3k.

After years of driving wonderful luxury cars, I feel like getting back to basics and becoming one with nature and the road.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Damn dude, that's a nice Miata.

They're incredible little cars with plenty of potential. I would definitely try to get one with the 1.8 vs the 1.6 litre engine, although both are bulletproof.

If you're really getting back to basics, get one without the power options and such. And if you get an auto, I will have to send Wes out there to smack you in the mouth...

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

fun little suckers they are...

you've driven one right?

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Mr1der wrote:fun little suckers they are...

you've driven one right?
Me or Jesda? I have, both on the street and auto-x.

base9se
Car: '95 240sx

Man that looks nice. I always liked Miata, especially the 10th edition

Rex
Car: None

Oky, ya knew I was gonna do this ...

Rex

Rex

Rex

Rex

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I LOVE the Miata, especially the first gen. Nothing like a Japanese made Euro-coupe! I want a first gen with the hardtop, red or black. Mmmmm...50/50 weight distribution.

I was talking about that with some dudes at the Nissan dealership the other day when I was getting my oil/filter changed (this dealership is also a Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Cadillac, and VW dealership...the waiting room for all of them is in one central builting). The one dude had a Miata in for some minor repairs and I commented about how I'd love to have one as a second car. We were talking about how fun they are to drive and this dude comes in and starts saying how gay they are. "Man...I've never seen a car that girly in my life." or something...

So I asked him: "Well then, smart guy, what the hell do you drive?"

"Man...I've got a badass VW Golf and a 2002 Eclipse."

I looked at the Miata owner and burst out in a fit of uncontrolled laughter, which he quickly joined.

EDIT:I don't know why, but this pic just SCREAMS FC:

Rex

Jesda, the lines of the upcoming coupe seem to resemble the last iteration of the 929.

But why would anyone want a Miata coupe?? Isn't the purpose of the Miata, a fun little open air 2 seater.

Rex

Jesda

:shudder the wing

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

I duno, I really like the Hard top s2k's that I see. The Miata is a really cool car that has a pretty good power to weight. IMO they need some more power for my taste, I know of a few here in Louisville with turbo kits that really kick a**!

Rex

jEzTeR wrote:I duno, I really like the Hard top s2k's that I see. The Miata is a really cool car that has a pretty good power to weight. IMO they need some more power for my taste, I know of a few here in Louisville with turbo kits that really kick a**!
Are you referring to S2k's with the removable hardtop or do they offer a "fixed" hardtop??

Also, the one with the wing is from L'ville, I think.

jEzTeR

yeah the removable hardtop's. The s2k's look better than the Miata's but both look pretty good.

jEzTeR

This one is pretty damn fast.

Rex

Did you learn that the hard way?

And can you put a "-med" just before the .jpg in that file name .

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Rex wrote:But why would anyone want a Miata coupe?? Isn't the purpose of the Miata, a fun little open air 2 seater.
I want the removable hardtop so I can still drive the thing when it's cold. I like the looks of the coupe, I'd love one, but I'd prefer a removable hardtop.

jEzTeR

Rex wrote:Did you learn that the hard way?

And can you put a "-med" just before the .jpg in that file name .
No I knew I was going to get raped because I know that guy. He used to auto x it as well but then he sold it a few months ago. Now he has a BMW.

would the "-med" make it show up smaller?

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

I like the Miata, but its a little too low. A few weeks ago some woman in a newer Miata was tailgating me while I was driving my Jeep. So to warn her I decreased the speed with out warning. Lucky her brakes bit in on time, because my rear bumper would have decapitated her easily. After that she stayed 3 or 4 car lengths behind me.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Anyone that calls a miata a girly car is insecure about their manhood, especially the guy with the golf.....

A little turbo here, a little urethene bushing there, and your good to go! Id probably drive one more than a 240, unless of course it had an LT1 in it

Rex

jEzTeR wrote:... would the "-med" make it show up smaller?
Yep. I'm using Firefox and it autosizes the image for my window, but the IE guys probably have the scroll bar at the bottom.

Photopost, usually offers 3 images - thumbnail preview, full size and (if the full size is above ~600 wide) a "med" size, that contains a -med just before the .jpg in the file name.

Alot of times I'll make the -med version a clickable image to the full size/high res version.

Did you see the ones I put in the Z car timeline?

Rex

MinisterofDOOM wrote:I want the removable hardtop so I can still drive the thing when it's cold. I like the looks of the coupe, I'd love one, but I'd prefer a removable hardtop.
I agree, 'vert with a removable hard top for the "worser" weather conditions, but ... I guess it's just we've always known the Miata as a 'vert, so making it in a hard top seems illogical, had it originally been introduced as a coupe, then become a 'vert it would be different.

Mr1der

rigidity maybe?

hell...if I could fit in one to drive...I'd so get a coupe...that thing look really good..better then just a car with a hardtop...reminds me of a high dollar sports car...only about half the size and about a 5th of the price.

I <3 Aston Martin...

Rex

I think it looks alot like the Tiburon.

Mr1der

I think I'm scared for people that buy glasses from you.

Rex

You don't see any similarities??

Jesda

I dont see the similarities.

When I do buy a Miata (because I think its my manifest destiny) I'll have to drop some weight. A fat man in a little convertible just looks odd. And I wont be able to pick my nose in the car or dance to Rick James' "Superfreak" -- well I could, I just might draw the wrong kind of attention.

Rex

They're both silver and have doors, wheels, windows, etc??

Maybe I'm thinking of another car, dang this getting old and not being able to remember for crap.

Return to “Others”