metal shavings in my oil pan after water pump replaced

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
babshill16
Car: 2008 Infiniti ex

metal shavings in my oil pan after water pump replaced

Postby babshill16 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:36 am

32 days ago I bought a 2008 Infinity EX — it had just over 67k miles on it and I thought … this is GREAT! I traveled 300 miles to see my mom and one day I noticed the car started running hot. I got it home (it did not overheat) and I put water int he radiator. About a week later, it happened again. I figured there was a problem. I took it to a mechanic and they said the water pump needed to be replaced. $1100 later, the car was back on the road and I noticed a check engine light. They had me bring it back in. They were stymied and after 2 days, the owner of the shop asked me to come in and he showed me that there are metal flakes in the oil pan. He is unsure where it is coming from or why. I know enough about cars to know this is not good at all.

What is going onnnnn???? It’s only got 67k miles on it! Does anyone have any advice for me???

I’m ready to gouge out my eyes with a fork!!!!
Barbara

macgiver

Re: metal shavings in my oil pan after water pump replaced

Postby macgiver » Wed May 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Something weird , shop not communicating from the time "check engine light means what? " ALL THE WAY to removing oil pan to find the metal debris ? Or is this shop savvy enough to use a pipe cleaner/ wire to dredge the pan through drain hole(like I do) for these particles ? But the fact of fairly quickly and with NO communications/diagnostic trail in between of "finding metal in pan" ?? So you were shown your car , with pan off , and then shown pan , WITH shavings in it ? Cause coolant problems , I don't believe can destroy a motor that quickly - unless you severely overheated , under severe load/stress , with extremely old oil , low or no oil etc. ,etc.. For these questions would've come up during the pump situation . Right?
What did that shop just plant that there ? And pull a connector giving SES light. :rotfl Cause they got good $$$$$ for the water pump. :tisk:
Sorry for a very possible explanation for "what's going on " as you asked , some shops just want you back for
MORE ! Billy Idol - MORE MORE MORE :laugh:

macgiver

Postby macgiver » Thu May 23, 2019 4:37 am

One more thing , now I remember , I believe a VQ35HR motor in there ? That's the one with w/pump INSIDE FRONT timing cover, driven by timing chain .Mechanic drop something in there , force chain onto pump causing distortion , bad re-assembly - ANY of that can tear up a motor = "chainsaw effect".
You hear doing a timing set and w/pump at same time ? This motor looks like it allows you R&R the
pump through a small cover plate - very cramped working chain + mounting pump , and if they ever thought to offer the typical chain , guide , tensioner ,plus w/pump - cost = $$$$$$$$ 4800 + ? Ya know.

p.s. a "Magnetic Drain-plug" is a good visual indicator of metallic contaminant/ wear buildup in an engine . It's job not to be confused with PRIMARILY CLEANNG a motor , although you obviously get a little of that benefit too :yesnod Small amount of extremely fine "metallic mud" = normal , but start getting big as grains of sand/chunks = ACCELERATED DESTRUCTION :lolling:

macgiver

Postby macgiver » Thu May 23, 2019 4:37 am

One more thing , now I remember , I believe a VQ35HR motor in there ? That's the one with w/pump INSIDE FRONT timing cover, driven by timing chain .Mechanic drop something in there , force chain onto pump causing distortion , bad re-assembly - ANY of that can tear up a motor = "chainsaw effect".
You hear doing a timing set and w/pump at same time ? This motor looks like it allows you R&R the
pump through a small cover plate - very cramped working chain + mounting pump , and if they ever thought to offer the typical chain , guide , tensioner ,plus w/pump - cost = $$$$$$$$ 4800 + ? Ya know.

p.s. a "Magnetic Drain-plug" is a good visual indicator of metallic contaminant/ wear buildup in an engine . It's job not to be confused with PRIMARILY CLEANNG a motor , although you obviously get a little of that benefit too :yesnod Small amount of extremely fine "metallic mud" = normal , but start getting big as grains of sand/chunks = ACCELERATED DESTRUCTION :lolling:

telcoman
Car: 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796mi. 2013 Altima 2.5SV

Postby telcoman » Thu May 23, 2019 5:22 am

babshill16 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:36 am
32 days ago I bought a 2008 Infinity EX — it had just over 67k miles on it and I thought … this is GREAT!

What is going onnnnn???? It’s only got 67k miles on it! Does anyone have any advice for me???

I’m ready to gouge out my eyes with a fork!!!!
Barbara
Sorry Barbara but when a deal sounds too good to be true it usually is.
32 days ago you should have insisted to the seller that the deal required a through inspection by an Infiniti dealer.
Was this a one owner vehicle?
If not how many owners?
Why such low mileage for an eleven year old vehicle?
Was the original purchase made in your state?
Was this vehicle ever involved in a flood or accident?
Perhaps selling it is a better option than pouring money into this vehicle?

Telcoman

tjrob2000
Car: 2007 G35 sedan (journey)

Postby tjrob2000 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:34 am

Barbara, What did you end up doing with this? If you still have the car what were the codes that turned on the check engine light?

If they did the water pump replacement right then that would not cause metal shavings in the oil pan. Also, I'd be very curious what lead them to even look in the oil pan. I've done the water pump on my '07 Journey and it is a pretty involved job. If they aren't careful then the variable valve timing can be screwed up, the timing can get thrown off, a myriad of bad things can happen. Should any of them cause metal shavings? Likely not, but......

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”