melting coil packs!

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
pigeontooth
Car: R33 1995 Skyline GTR V-spec

I have a 1995 r33 gtr v-spec. And it was parked for 6 months in a garage while I put new turbos in and replaced misc parts. Everything was good to go and all of a sudden cylinder 1 coil pack starts over heating and actually smoking and shooting out melted plastic. This happened with the key set to ON without engine running. I replaced coil harness twice! with oem harness. Replaced ignitor with a used one. The ground for the harness connects to the coil tray and has continuity. When I replaced the ignitor with a used one now coil pack 6 melts, I've burnt up 5 coil packs!! Is the ecu fried I left the battery plugged in when it sat for 6 months but I replaced it with a brand new one once I was ready to start it up. When it is running it runs like complete crap then within 5 minutes of idling I hear a crack and coil packs 6 starts getting really hot and starts melting. The spark plugs are brand new. Plz any help is appreciated.

tyndago

The ECU turns on the coils, since its the only thing you haven't replaced yet, you want to look at it. Here are some troubleshooting flowcharts, and information on my blog.

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2013/08/rb26d ... oting.html

pigeontooth
Car: R33 1995 Skyline GTR V-spec

I just got the manual and will be checking everything this week. I did happen to run the diagnostic test on the ecu and got code 55... which is no malfunction. But I'm still suspecting the ecu is at fault. Thanx for your reply, I'll check your blog.

supersayianjim
Car: 89 240sx(s13)

got any pics of the aftermath??

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”