Melted wiring harness.

Covering the 2003-2015 first-gen and 2016+ Titan and Titan XD lineup
qwazi
Car: 1998 Nissan Maxima SE

Hi,
I have a 2004 Titan XE. (This is my sons truck) Long story short, exhaust gases blew onto the A/T Connector Harness and melted the connector and about 6 inches of harness. I located an 08 junkyard truck and took the connector out of the trans and cut the wiring harness that connects to it.

It was very melted so I wasn't sure of the order of the wires. The 08 harness had quite a few different color wires so I located the manuals on this site for both trucks. I matched up the wire colors and was able to determine which were different. However, it won't start now and I'm not getting voltage where I should. I assume that something has shorted out but I'm not sure where to look. I've checked fuses.

There are 10 wires total, 5 should get 12V depending on key position and gear selector. I'm getting voltage on Power supply & Backup lights. I'm also getting 12V on the K-line CONSULT II. The manual says I shouldn't get any voltage there. On this 04 harness that is a violet wire in the #4 position.

My questions are:
Why do I get voltage on the K-line wire #4?
Why don't I get voltage on the Starter Relay #9?
Why don't I get voltage on either of the power supply (memory backup) #1 & #2?

If anyone can help me, you'll achieve God status in my book. Thanks!

qwazi
Car: 1998 Nissan Maxima SE

I just thought I'd let everyone know I figured out my own answers.

Kline does indeed get 12V all the time. Pinout for testing doesn't show that it should have voltage but the wiring diagram does.
The starter relay line gets voltage only during cranking. Not just when key is on.
The last one was the kicker. The fuse for this line #1 & 2 is next to the glove box, not under the hood. A/T Cont. I asked my son to look at all those fuses and test anything that looks like it might be it. I assumed he knew that A/T stood for automatic transmission. So I farted around for another 24 hours reading through wiring diagrams and scratching my head. What's weird is that pink wire (#1&2 above) comes out in the fuse box under the hood. Why it's fused in the dash I don't understand. But hey, it starts.
A couple other weird notes if you're working on one of these. The Yellow wire with red stripe (power supply # 6) may not exist on your harness as shown in the manual. Mine was brown. We had a friend with an 04 that sent us pics of his and it was yellow/red. So it's not a year thing. Also, the manual shows a green/white which is the Kline CONSULT II I mentioned above. This wire is Green/White but ends up changing to violet at the connector. The manual shows it only G/W in some places and others it shows it changing to violet.
I hope this helps someone.

Return to “Nissan Titan Forum”