Megasquirt pnp

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
BabaGenushe13
Car: 1992 fastback KA bout time T

hello all
so i recently did a complete build on my 92 ka24de, i got it in the car everything hooked up as per the diy autotune instructions and im have nothing but trouble. when i turn the key to on my iacv valve is constantly humming, fuel pump stays on,injectors fire and spark shoot to the dizzy :wtf2: . when i unplug the iac everything stops, fuel pump will prime but when i crank the motor im not getting spark and injectors wont fire dizzy doesnt even read rpm on tunerstudio i even took it out and spun it ...nothing.(checked all fuses and relays). now i thought it was my wiring cus i took out the swirl control valve and egr solenoid plugs which tee off of the iacv brown wire. and i converted the maf (pin 16 and 17) to iat sensor. so after ALOT of wire chasing and diagram reading i decided to throw in my stock ecu. (i have 550cc injectors so it wont start up im getting o rings for my stockers to get it to start) when i turned the key to on the fuel pump primed as it should and no crazy clicking or anything. so i tried to start ( i know its way to rich) in half a crank i got a sputter like it wanted to start but had to much fuel, i couldnt even get close with the megasquirt pnp. so now that the back story is complete. do you guys think it could still be my wiring or is the megasquirt bad? ive spoken to DIY and they think the wiring is bad. i just dont see that being the case if the stock ecu is responding the way it should. timing is dead on. distributor is good and so is the coil. has anybody had any issues with this?

i have the worst luck with ecu s...... :facepalm:

Seishuku
Car: 1987 Nissan S12, 5-speed, SR20DE+T 50trim T3@15PSI, Megasquirt 1 029y4

I doubt anyone else on here will help, everyone is afraid to try MegaSquirt...

Anyway, the guys at DIY would know best, it is their product after all.
Sounds to me like the MS isn't getting any power though (fuel pump always on, coil getting power, injectors on, etc etc).

When the MS isn't powered, all outputs are active (grounded), so if devices connected to the MS have power and MS doesn't... Everything will be active (IAC valve, ignition coil, injectors, etc).

BabaGenushe13

well just an update i got the car running last night im still not sure what the issue was but i know i really tightened down the main harness plug and the iac is still humming but im assuming thats what its supposed to do when the key is on. im just happy to have it up and running thanks alot :dblthumb:

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Seishuku wrote:I doubt anyone else on here will help, everyone is afraid to try MegaSquirt...
Because it's full or problems. I don't know of anyone running MS on their KAT successfully. There are many options available that are plug and play and 100% functional. Why would I want to use MS when I have other, better, options?

BabaGenushe13

im not so sure its full of problems. ill admit most of the trouble i had was due to my own fault (late nights, wife getting mad about the car kids taking up time, not thinking 100% about it) and is probably the problem with most people having issues. megasquirt has a lot of neat features and is decently priced. yea im sure aem and others are amazing stand alones with HUGE aftermarket support,but the diy feel for someone who isnt afraid of quirks is well worth it. lets face it no matter what way you go if your doing everything your self in your garage your gunna run into some kind of trouble. its a car/money pit it always will be, the more you can save(not cheesing out on ebay parts, although some are good) the more its a car not a money pit.

WDRacing

I'm all about the DIY. Point is, I've been a Mod in the KAT forum since 02. To date I don't know of anyone using the MS and having great success with it, ON the KAT. I know it works well on some other makes/models, but until I see several members running really well, I'll keep my opinion. I have, however, seen many members have nothing but trouble with MS.

I'm replying to the "afraid to use it" line btw. It's not fear, it's choosing the better option. $350 gets you a ECU that's matched to your specific components. I'll take that route over pioneering something unproven every day all day.

Just my .02

Everyone has to make their own decisions. I'm just stating things I've personally witnessed.

BabaGenushe13

ten years is a long time, ive seen you in a lot of different topics and im not arguing your point at all, ive seen people with a lot of trouble too. one of the reasons i went the megasquirt route is cause he made a plug and play unit that plugs into the stock harness comes with startup map and will run the car with all stock stuff, the rest is up to the user. he came out with one for the ka24de about 6 months ago i think? i will definatly keep nicoclub up to date with progress/failures (hopefully no failures! lol)

WDRacing

IIRC, most of the issues were ignition related. Something about the 240 dizzy not jiving with the MS.

Matt Cramer
Car: 1966 Dodge Dart

Correct that the MegaSquirt PNP came out pretty recently - we released it this January.

I believe the potential issue WDRacing is referring to is the way the stock trigger wheel has a bit of distance between the inner slots and where the ignition fires, and MegaSquirt (except the MS3) does not use the 360 slot ring to fill things in. On some cars, this hasn't been much of an issue. On others, this can make starting difficult or have the engine kick back when starting. We came up with a trigger wheel about a year ago that bolts in with a more MS-friendly tooth pattern for cars that have this issue (or owners who want to do a coil on plug conversion or sequential injection using the stock distributor). It's similar to the approach AEM took.

BabaGenushe13

ive read about this issue till my eyes where bleeding the past couple of days. i have the trigger disc DIY makes because i thought my stock one was an issue, its not for me. so far the stock trigger wheel has been reading with the ms pnp for startup and idle. i am going to convert to the ms made one just to make it more ms friendly and eventually i will be goin to coil on plug. plus here in ny 2 packs of cigarettes are almost as much as the trigger wheel so i figured why the heck not. :dblthumb:

Seishuku
Car: 1987 Nissan S12, 5-speed, SR20DE+T 50trim T3@15PSI, Megasquirt 1 029y4

Hm, funny I've been running MegaSquirt on my SR for quite a number of years now, and never a problem here... And at least two of those "number of years" were on the stock cam sensor wheel (slightly modded).
I've only recently moved on to a full crank wheel with a hall sensor and ditched the stock sensor.

I'll keep my fully functional $350 ECU, thankyouverymuch.

WDRacing

Matt Cramer wrote:Correct that the MegaSquirt PNP came out pretty recently - we released it this January.

I believe the potential issue WDRacing is referring to is the way the stock trigger wheel has a bit of distance between the inner slots and where the ignition fires, and MegaSquirt (except the MS3) does not use the 360 slot ring to fill things in. On some cars, this hasn't been much of an issue. On others, this can make starting difficult or have the engine kick back when starting. We came up with a trigger wheel about a year ago that bolts in with a more MS-friendly tooth pattern for cars that have this issue (or owners who want to do a coil on plug conversion or sequential injection using the stock distributor). It's similar to the approach AEM took.
That's really good to hear. Cheap and functional is always excellent news. Got a link I can use to refresh my outdated opinion?

BabaGenushe13

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... p-504.html

This is the link for the ms pnp,he has pre built ecu's and unassembled units that you can assemble your self . Definatly a cool setup and if you can soder then building an unassembled unit and save a couple of greenbacks. :naughty:

WDRacing

@ 800 bucks, it's not the good deal I thought it was. If you solder your own boards etc to make it affordable then it doesn't qualify for a plugnplay title. It may be "cheaper" then the other standalones, but 800 is not cheap compared to other options currently available.

Also, WTF where's the love for the S14?

BabaGenushe13

Hahahahah the one you solder on your own is still a plug and play you solder in a nissan plug which is supplied in the kit. They are working on one for the s14 if you convert the s14 dizzy to an external coil or cop i think you can run the s13 version. And yea its not 350 cheap but compared to aem which is almost 1500 bucks by the time you get map and iat sensors plus more with a boost controller. Ms pnp runs gm sensors so there cheap to replace when they go. I dunno i think its worth it for half the price that i was expecting to spend.

FoundSoul9
Car: S13 Bonneville Land Speed Racer!
http://www.diyautotune.com/cars/project ... _240sx.htm

The ~$800 MSPNP unit is not a DIY kit at all, it's fully ready to rock, plug it in instead of your stock ECU, run a single MAP/vacuum tube, and fire it up.

Ditch your AFM easily and gain a couple of ponies there, and have full tuneability for any mods you'll ever throw at the car.

We have DIY kit based units too, called a DIYPNP. The DIYPNP is a kit you build yourself, and when you're finished you have a PNP ECU. The MegaSquirtPNP / MSPNP fully assembled, dead sexy, and is a ready to rock PNP ECU with base map and everything you need to install the unit and fire it up in about an hour max for most people. There's not a bigger bang for the buck anywhere.

As for S14 love... we've got two S14's at the shop now being used for development. It won't be long.

For S13's with KA Motors-- http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... p-504.html

For S13 SR20DET swaps : http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... p-511.html

WDRacing

FoundSoul9 wrote: As for S14 love... we've got two S14's at the shop now being used for development. It won't be long.

Patiently waiting...

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”