Meet my little arsenal.

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Well, I spent quite a bit of coin on a couple of scary guns. The LWRC M6A2 in 6.8 SPC.

And a Sig 556 pistol

I had a chance to take them to the range to shoot them. Lots of trouble with both. The LWRC was doublefeeding and more often failing to feed at all. I would have to hand cycle almost every round. I blame the 90 grain ammo I was using. The bolt wasn't getting enough gas to cycle fully. Other than that the rifle kicked nice and shot well. People stopped shooting and peeked around the divider to see what all the booms were from my new toy. Well, actually, BOOM!, f***! click click, BOOM! The Sig was also doublefeeding. I was using the 55 grain ball 5.56 ammo so I was a bit surprised. Much like the LWRC I wasn't really pissed as they were both brand new and I expected trouble as they wore in. The Sig has a feature, though, that the LWRC doesn't, an adjustable gas valve. I cranked it to the "adverse setting" which ports more gas to the piston and it started shooting a bit better. The cases were showing something weird though. The extractor on the Sig is no bulls***! It was ripping up the case rims and throwing them really hard. The D-shape of the case mouths suggests it was flipping them backwards really hard and bending the mouths of the cases against the receiver. The brass scarring on the receiver seems to back up this idea. When I got home and cleaned the gun I found the piston was corroded. I didn't want to do it but I figured if I didn't clean up the piston I would need one anyway so I had nothing to lose. I took a scotchbrite pad to it and got it in a much better state. The second trip to the range seems to suggest I did the right thing. I had only a few doublefeeds and I didn't have to open the valve up again.

VIDEO http://s119.photobucket.com/al...1.flv

The Sig mag is as its looks suggest, s***. The Magpul P-MAGS performed well. The Lancer mags functioned for the most part except when I slammed them home on an open chamber, the top round would pop out. I don't recommend these mags to the AR guys. They look cool as hell and if you can work around the glitch described, they feed fine, but a mag IMO should work flawlessly so the tip of the hat to the P-MAGS.

My wife's birthday is coming up and I am the romantic type so I got her a gift. Handguns are a girls best friend, right?

She has never shot a real gun so I was looking for something chambered in .22 to avoid scaring the hell out of her with recoil. If she isn't freaked out by the gun's kick she can concentrate on fundamentals of handling and shooting it. Most .22 pistols are inexplicably goofy-looking though. I'm not sure why this is but I don't like it. My wife had said she liked the look of the Walther P99 so I checked their lineup and found a gun that chambered .22 and looked great. Additionally if she really enjoyed shooting and wanted to step up to a 9mm or something the P99 has similar ergos so she would be confident with the gun's controls. I went to a gun show and found this sweet little Walther P22. I almost bought the pink one but my wife would hate that silly s*** so I got the black one instead.

I sighted it in and I burned through 100 rounds quick. The lil fella kicks with the magnums and I have heard it really wants magnums to cycle reliably. It did so for me and I had a lot of fun shooting it. Not one malfunction and my fellow shooters could likely hear my laughter as I shot the gun; seriously fun as hell. This made me happy. Just in case my wife didn't like shooting, I would be proud to call this little pistol mine!

Unfortunately, she loved the gun, so if I want one I will have to buy my own, in pink of course. I gave her a brief on the controls, proper handling and safety of a weapon, how to obtain sight picture and trigger control with some snap caps before loading it with live rounds. The grip fits her little hand perfectly and the recoil sping is easy to overcome to rack the slide. The recoil, even being a blowback gun is more fun than formidable. The safety is goofy, though, and she had trouble thumbing it up and off just like I had and I had to bark "finger off the trigger dear," a few times but other than that I was very impressed. With a target set up at 3 yards, having never shot anything but my softair 1911, she put 99 of 100 in the black and the flier was only because she tried that shot with her other eye to check her eye dominance. She grips it righty but sights with her left eye. She was rewarded for her efforts with a ragged hole in the center of the target so I see no reason to change what apparently works very well for her. I better not piss her off.

She really enjoyed shooting the little gun so I finally told her it was really hers and not "borrowed from a friend" like I had told her.

I had to come back to Japan though so after a final cleaning I packed all the guns in rust preventative bags and put them away. I will miss be able to shoot them in the coming years as I work to move my job and us back to the states.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Man, I can't believe you had that much of a problem with the either one of those misfeeding! Nice purchases though.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

for realzdouble feeding would suggest issues with the mags usually.

did the P Mags do it too?

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

Nice! I am in love with the Sig 556. Unfortunately I am not quite as strapped as you. I read that both those guns tend to have problems cycling rounds and whatnot until they are broken in, so don't worry about it. Just run 500 rounds through them and you should never have another problem with either one.

P22 is a great little gun, but it does not fit my paw. Of course the wife would love it though, and its a great way to get away with large gun purchases and ownership, because what kind of hypocrite would she be if she gave you s*** and she owned a gun herself! Flawless logic right there.

Well anyway, happy shooting!

themadscientist

the grip is bit small in my hand too, but there are extra backstraps with it. When she want's to step up I can move her to a PK380.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/we...arm=Y

Or a P99.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/we...arm=Y

I share her like for the Walthers, even with the goofy controls.

Mr1der

eh..the only thing a little goofy is the mag release...it's more like what HK uses on their pistols.

Blame the Germans.

themadscientist

I can understand why many hate it. It's very intuitive for me though; I drop the mag with my trigger finger. The classic mag button many people are used to actually doesn't work for me. I can only drop the 1911 mag with my support hand's thumb. I would like to be able to hit the button with my stong hand thumb without repositioning my grip.

The P22 and PK380 safety switches are my only complaint. They have to be flipped up rather than down like a 1911 and they are to small to easily manipulate so again, the support hand comes into play. It takes some getting used to.

Mr1der

try being a southpaw, s*** just gets silly.

I like my XD though...the mag release is ambi, even though I'll use my trigger finger because that's what I learned back when it was hard to get an ambi release on anything.

I wish it had an AMBI slide release...but that's what slingshotting is for I guess.

themadscientist

I really love the XD subcompact.

The ambi mag release is great, the loaded chamber and cocked striker indicators are a great feature. The weight and balance is great and it's a visually pleaseing weapon. The only concern I have is the grip safety. It may not be a problem, I have never fired one, so I may grip it well and not really have a problem. i am used to the 1911 grip safety and I can't recall ever having a failure to go bang because of a weak grip, but every 1911 I have shot has the raised tail on the safety making positive engagement easier. The XD's safety is rather small. I was surprised to discover that if it's not depressed, not only will the gun not fire but the slide won't rack either. That is a big problem for me. I'd like to see one in .45 too. I won't be in the market for a carry pistol for another couple of years though so I hold out hope that they add a .45 compact to the lineup and lose the grip safety.

Mr1der

if you know how to grip a pistol, the grip safety is nothing.

some of the guys on xdtalk will use Hogue slipons to just keep it constantly depressed...I've never had an issue with mine...it's less onstrusive than the safety on a 1911.

I wanna get a bitone in the near future to match my service .45

there IS an XD45 compact. You however can't get a 3" barrel on it.

it's kinda goofy looking, especially if you get the 5" version.

it's basically an XD service that's had the grip chopped down. comes with one flush fit mag and a normal 13 rounder with a grip sleeve on it.

themadscientist

Sounds goofy as hell. I have time for SA to get their Croatian friends to build my pistol.

Mr1der

nope.

we've been waiting for one for 3 years.

I don't think it's gonna happen.

it's a b**** to make a small reliable .45

I wish they would though...hell, Glock has a 10mm.

themadscientist

I don't want a glock, they are so ugly and toy-like. I had a chance to shoot a buddies .40, Glock 23? I immediately started murdering the bullseye with it. Even with that snappy .40 it was on target every time. I don't like Glocks but they seem to like me. I would hate to buy one but if the guns I am attracted to can't point as naturally for me as the accursed Glock, I will have to suck it up and go with the Austrian monstrosity. It's about reliability and accuracy in a carry gun, not aesthetics.

Mr1der

the XD compact isn't a bad choice though..hiding the 4" barrel isn't that hard.

it's the big freakin' grip on the normal pistol that made it difficult.

GAU-8
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 sedan

I carry an XD .40 when I do carry. Saving money right now for a Nevada CCW.

panda22
Car: nissan 240 sx 13

thats bad a**.!

Urabus GodofTraction
Car: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2004 SV650, 1988 Land Cruiser, 1994 XR600R

GAU-8 wrote:I carry an XD .40 when I do carry. Saving money right now for a Nevada CCW.
Something's amiss with this post...

Also, I loves me some SIGs. The S&W Walthers, not so much, but I'd buy a pre S&W one in a heartbeat.

Mr1der

I wanna get an older West German P229 with the stamped slide.

Suppose to be one of the finest pistols they ever rolled out.

I'm thinking I'm gonna grab one of SIG's upcoming 516 pistol AR rifles though...reviews look damn good especially when you read the part about the 1300 dollar MSRP

MaximA32

I have 9 more days until I can pick up my Smith and Wesson Sigma .40. I'm excited. Can't wait to take it out and break it in some. :D

ctrucks

Hey themadscientist. What are we doing tonight?

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to start WW3." ;)

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

Mr1der wrote:I wanna get an older West German P229 with the stamped slide.

Suppose to be one of the finest pistols they ever rolled out.

I'm thinking I'm gonna grab one of SIG's upcoming 516 pistol AR rifles though...reviews look damn good especially when you read the part about the 1300 dollar MSRP
:yesnod

716 looks nice too

Mr1der

yeah..I don't think they're ever gonna hit the market though.

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

Too bad, i might be picking up my friends m&p 15 from him we will see

Mr1der

they're nice

I think I'm just gonna wind up piecing my own AR together and stop waiting on the damn 516 to show up at anything close to it's MSRP

MaximA32

My stance is awful but here it is..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_V-aBCPBEc[/youtube]

Mr1der

you're putting all your weight on the back leg, that's gonna make it difficult to control recoil.

gotta get you doing some rapid fire with a 12ga, it'll get ya right quick.

MaximA32

Yeah. A stiff breeze woulda knocked me over. I've since changed it and am experimenting with different pistol stances until I find one that's comfortable for me.

themadscientist

Ten round mags and "bullet buttons" you poor bastards. Get rid of Feinstein please, for all our sakes.

Feel free to fap.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAXEis5t ... re=related[/youtube]

Mr1der

that' the beauty of .223

the M16 is a very easy rifle to control. run through 5 cmags like that though and you're gonna have some issues

MaximA32

themadscientist wrote:Ten round mags and "bullet buttons" you poor bastards. Get rid of Feinstein please, for all our sakes.

Feel free to fap.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAXEis5t ... re=related[/youtube]
Yes please!

Return to “The Great Outdoors”