Mechanical Key

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

Greetings Everyone. We just purchased a 2017 Quest SV. Great van. Seems solid. Same engine and CVT as the Murano I believe. This is our first vehicle with push to start.

Question: I read that you can enter the vehicle with the mechanical key, but is there any way to start it if the fob is dead? Ours are not, I'm just curious what the options are in an emergency...

Thanks for any input.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Thinking not, door entry only. Keyless drops the RFI chipped physical key thing, the chip then being in the fob.

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

amc49 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:23 am
Thinking not, door entry only. Keyless drops the RFI chipped physical key thing, the chip then being in the fob.
Makes sense. Thanks for responding. Maybe I'll keep a CR2025 battery in my wallet... ;)

macgiver

mac, those CR2025, whatever Lithium cells are a "nominal" 3 Volt. New they'll "meter-out" as high as 3.25V.
BUT , if you want to check , and it is below 3V , then just get a new batt. Holding a battery,"on hand",could end up being very low by that time you get to use it. :tisk: The newer systems , especially pushbutton , has more "pings" to cars system , and an all around HIGHER energy draw than just a few years prior FOB's. NOW they definately will NOT LAST the same as what we're used to expecting from a FOB :lolling: Our Juke's got replaced in just under 3 years , was an inexplicable "Glitch" , when I measured it was 2.97 Volt ,we replaced BOTH FOB batteries(got the 2-Pac), NO problems now- I believe that's the way to go, as suggestion . :)

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

I found when I was in parts and changing batteries often for customers that dropping the fobs was a common issue that eventually cracked the battery terminal 'cage' typically used there to bring them down a LOT. The solder points used there are too small. Very common to pop a fob cover and one of the battery contacts falls right out. It quickly got to the point that before opening one up we had to tell the customer that if it was broken we had no liability there after a couple claimed I and others had broken them. They were setting up traps to try to get the parts company to pay for new fobs they knew ahead of time were broken. We ran into the same issue with headlight bulb changing, I found one to be broken as soon as I looked at it, of course the customer immediately claimed I had broken it even though I had simply bent over it to look at how it came apart first. I pretty much rarely break things and own up to it if I do. Well, that $350 claim had us quit changing bulbs for others too. Whaddaya gonna do there.................

PoMansVan
Car: 2016 Nissan Quest SV

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but even with a near dead battery, you can hold the FOB right up against the start button to satisfy the system and start the engine. Like said, no physical FOB in hand and you are no go. Your door lock key will be a no go if you loose the FOB anyway.

I've found the CR2025 batteries in these to last an annoyingly short period of time, no matter which brand you buy. I've been buying packs of them on eBay for cheap to keep on hand. Like said, it's not a bad idea to keep a spare in the glove box.

How do you like your 2017? Was it a previous rental?

Aside from some paint issues, our 2016 SV (previous rental) has been awesome.

far raf
Car: 2005 Nissan Quest SE (standard? simple? edition - i.e. nothing special)

I am dreading the day I'll have the only option to buy a push-to-start car.

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

PoMansVan wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:37 am
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but even with a near dead battery, you can hold the FOB right up against the start button to satisfy the system and start the engine. Like said, no physical FOB in hand and you are no go. Your door lock key will be a no go if you loose the FOB anyway.

I've found the CR2025 batteries in these to last an annoyingly short period of time, no matter which brand you buy. I've been buying packs of them on eBay for cheap to keep on hand. Like said, it's not a bad idea to keep a spare in the glove box.

How do you like your 2017? Was it a previous rental?

Aside from some paint issues, our 2016 SV (previous rental) has been awesome.
Right, ours was a year old rental from Enterprise. 37k miles when we bought it. This is the 2nd time we purchased a fleet vehicle and I'm not disappointed. I bought a 2013 Rogue from Hertz in 2014 with 27k on it and now have 117k with no issues. We have other relatives and friends who bought Nissan's from Hertz and no one has any complaints. I like this Quest van and my wife loves it. We had a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan before this and just plain wore it out.

What paint issues have you had with your Quest?

Thanks for the reply...

PoMansVan

My paint issue thread is here: 2016-nissan-quest-rust-on-rear-hatch-t619486.html

The other thing you may want to consider on your 2017 is doing a few drain/fills on the CVT trans. There's threads on that here as well. Super easy to do.

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

PoMansVan wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:25 am
My paint issue thread is here: 2016-nissan-quest-rust-on-rear-hatch-t619486.html

The other thing you may want to consider on your 2017 is doing a few drain/fills on the CVT trans. There's threads on that here as well. Super easy to do.
Your paint thread is great (except for the actual problem you had :frown: ) and is very detailed. Thanks for that. I'll look mine over. The vehicle was in the Enterprise fleet in Illinois then moved to Oregon so it's been through a winter already.

I've done CVT service on my Rogue and if the Quest is the same configuration it's easy. Do you know what the Quest CVT fluid capacity is? The Owners Manual doesn't say (of course). I understand that the Quest uses the Murano Eng/Trans setup. My Rogue takes exactly 6 quarts for a drain/refill with 9 qt total capacity, so every 60k I do the D/R twice.

PoMansVan

Yes, the Quest powertrain is essentially the same as the Murano and Pathfinder. I got 4qts out per drain on mine. I drain them cold, measure the amount that came out, then refill with the same amount.

nerys
Car: 2012 Leaf SV

PoMansVan should be right (not 100% sure on this) but on my leaf its RFID even with NO battery if you hold the remote upto the ring around the push to start the car itself should emit a small EMF field that will energize the circuit id system in the kefob. so it "should" work but you WILL need the fob.

for the older cars such as my 2004 I just ripped the chip out of the key and embedded it in the dash in the right spot (take the ring around the ignoring socket out it pulls right out and stick the chip into the FOAM of the dash between the leather and the backing test it position is "finicky" sometimes so is orientation of the chip. once you got it solid little dab of hot glue and done. no more chip key programming :-)

dleach4512
Car: 2012 Nissan Quest LE

FWIW, my 2012 Quest (and I suspect all the NISMO's with Intelligent key) has an indicator in the Driver Center that alerts you to a low battery.
I had that come up a week ago, waited a few days to get around to it, and changed the battery in the fob out. Never had an issue, but I only had the low battery warning light for a few days.

Return to “Quest Forum”