Mechanical Fan on S13, still have yours on?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

I was just curious as to who all has removed their mechanical fan. For those of you that have, did you put in an electric fan to compensate, or does it run ok without one?

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

If you re-wire the Electric fan to click on via a controller of some kind then often people in cooler climates can get away with it and it works just as good. I would suggest that you get a dual Electric fan set-up for insurance though, they arent that expensive. Removing the Mech. fan is about the same gain as the lightweight crank pulley, should be a little less actually.

SPIRO

I plan on installing an underdrive pulley, removing my a/c, and replacing my mechanical fan with 2 elctrical ones. I hope to gain a decent anount power back from all of this, but would having this done cause any other problems or is it a 100% good idea? Thanks in advance.

dankar
Car: racing, grandkids

why not use the a/c fan, just disconnect the power to the a/c compressor and turn on the ac when you need a fan or leave it on all the time. I guess this would work more for the people who use there car at the track more than street use

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

A note on the dual electric fans and the crank pulley. You will be underdriving your alternator and it wont be making as much juice. The 2 fans pull a good amount of power so always keep aware of when they are on so that you dont end up with a dead battery.

Julio Bro!
Car: 1993 240SX SE, manual tranny, Stillen intake & strut bar, Magnaflow cat + custom cat-back, NISMO sus

dankar wrote:why not use the a/c fan, just disconnect the power to the a/c compressor and turn on the ac when you need a fan or leave it on all the time. I guess this would work more for the people who use there car at the track more than street use
That sounds like a genuine alternative. Has anybody just leave the small A/C electric fan as the principal cooling fan?

What about changing the "propeller" of the A/C fan to a bigger one and eliminate the mechanical? I suppose that system already measures temperature and turns on when needed, so it would be a mater of leaving the system active, with or without the A/C running.

WAbernethy

Oh hell yeah it's a great mod. Your car won't sound so much like a pickup truck with that whirrrr every time you hit the gas and the motor feels like it is more free to rev. But don't think for a minute that the little ac fan will move enough air to cool your engine unless you live in antarctica or something. I'm running 2 fans one 12" and one 10" with an adjustable thermostat controlling both. Use a heavy duty relay and 10 or 12 gauge wire. I found out a couple of weeks ago that 16 dosen't cut it. Car was running a little hot and when I popped the hood to check out the fans I was greeted by a flaming wire! :flamer :firedevil

JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

I've had my mechanical fan off for about a month now. I have yet to experience any cooling problems yet. (this being in GA heat where the heat index somedays was well in excess of 100degrees) I simply removed the shroud and mechanical fan.

flip240

If you go the dual electric fan way, whats a good cheap type that will mount easily??

numatik
Car: cars

My temps have been ok after removing the mechanical fan. I did keep the electric fan though, and wired it so it can be left on , or so it kicks in when the car gets too hot. cool free mod.

PabloHoney

Granted, I own an S14, but results still count =) I took my mech. fan out when I first bought the car a few months ago. I wired the electrical fan to a switch on the inside (fills those useless blanks in the center console) so I can turn it on and off if needed. Most of the time I just leave it running. The only time I have been turning it off is when I am driving on the highway. I've turned off the fan and let it idle for 10 minutes to see what the temperature would do, but the temp. gauge never moved (which is really only a Cold-Warm-Hot gauge if you haven't noticed). I don't know about power gains, but it sure sounds more like a car now.

WAbernethy

Maybe it just me then. I need all the cooling I can get. I know that if my fans aren't working, my car starts to overheat quickly. Could have something to do with my driving though. First gearrrrrrrrr, Second gearrrrrrrrrr, Third Gearrrrrrrrrrr, Fourth Gearrrrrrrrr, Speed governor, Stop and repeat.:nono

Nils
Car: road racing

Mechanical fans can outflow electrical fans.

Having that said, electrical fans are fine for street driving and a couple of passes down the 1320, but, if you intend to road race/drift your car I would definitly keep the mechanical fan on the car.

take care,nils

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”