Mazda 929 - a personal pining

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
masshead87
Car: 1996 Infiniti Q45

I know I'll get some laughs, and probably would get worse if this weren't posted semi-anonymously on the Internet, but even after close to 18 months of mostly bliss with my Q45, sometimes I still wish I had gotten the Mazda 929 that was for sale at the same time.

Why? Well, for one the styling is gorgeous, IMO. I love the glass layout, it flows with the body even better than the Q. Ditto with the cabin, artful, ergonomic and eye-pleasing lines form the car's interior with care given all the way down to the "seashell" stitching pattern of the leather interior. The technology for a 1992 model year matches some of the stated innovations that Toyota is loudly announcing now, 19 years later....even the base model had a built in solar cell in the sunroof for cabin ventilation.

Mechanically, it wasn't too refined but then again, this was Mazda's first attempt at a huge luxury sedan (they actually had a whole luxury line in the works, to be called Amati). It was a V-6 so of course pick-up time for a car that big wasn't great, I think it was 0-60 in about 10.2. But to me, the lack of complicated add-ons under the hood would have meant fewer trips to a shop compared to the jungle (at first - the Q45 forum helps A LOT) under the hood on my Q.

Does anyone else remember this car? I would be driving one now if the owner hadn't taken a vacation when I had needed to buy my next ride. Some of the customized 929s, especially out of Australia, are just plain sexy. Sometimes I daydream of Mazda releasing another full-size sedan. But that's doubtful, given how much the failed Amati venture hurt their business.

2the40
Car: Genesis

Yeah my family used to have a 93. I was two toned in off-white and gray, with the gray leather interior.

I've got great memories of that car, but shortly after we sold it I heard the guy who bought it ended up catastrophically killing the motor.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

929s are nice cars. I've always liked them. Don't know if I'd ever own one because there are too many other options that do one thing or another better, but I still like them a lot. The real killer for me is the lack of power. I'd rather have a Millenia. Yeah, the Millenia's FWD and quite a bit smaller, but it's a much more well-rounded car.

Return to “Others”