Maybe buying a nissan 200sx, maybe not

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
SheNeedsSpeed214
Car: Nissan 200sx

i found a nissan 200sx for sale but i dont know bmuch about them. im not sure if i want to buy it. i plan on taking this car to the street races and doing things like thatk and i dont know what 200sx's are capable of handling, and putting out on the strip. is there anyone who is familiar with these cars and could give me some feedback about what i can do with it? perfomance wise and with its looks. thanks

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

Haha, I'll be responsible and tell you streetracing is bad.

Now to the good stuff:

What trim level (SE-R or something else)?

I ask because the engines are different.

In the non-SE-Rs you have the GA16DE. To get a lot out of it, you'd really want to turbocharge it, but there are other parts available for it (intake, header, nitrous etc).

In the SE-R you have the famous SR20DE. It's the non-turbo variant of the one you always hear about. It's a great little engine and puts out decent power stock. Options are pretty much limitless, intake, exhaust, cams, header, turbo, nitrous, etc.

I have the last US version of the SR in my car, I'll be turboing it soon. The moderator of this section, RED_DET has an old-school Sentra SE-R (its a 2-door, just like the 200SX, but they didn't call them 200SXs during the early 90s) with a Japanese motor that's been turbocharged.

Of course, with either car you could swap any of the transverse (side-to-side) SR20 motors from Japan, they include turbo and non turbo ones.

Looks-wise you'll want to probably run nothing bigger than a 17in wheel, this is because the car tends to look goofy (and the brakes look really small) when you run larger ones, not to mention the excess weight. 18s are possible if you really want them though. There are plenty of bodykits out too, if that's your style.

Of course, last and certainly not least, the suspension is very capable from the factory (especially in the SE-R), but a good spring/shock upgrade would put you into great hands. Koni Yellow adjustable shocks with any of the good performance springs out there will net you a great-handling car. I believe KYB makes an adjustable AGX shock that would also do very well. There are a few coilover kits available too.

Basically, it can be very quick if you want it to. It depends on how far you go.

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

^^^ Couldn't have said it better my self. Need to nominate you as a mod in here.

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

I think I've read every thread in here, so most of what I've picked up has been what you know. Thanks for the good word!

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”