May be selling 91 240sx

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Xfritzx71
Car: 1991 240sx

I have a 1991 240sx mint with 40,000 miles black with metallic blue and silver flecks (black and turns blue in the sun) aftermarket exhaust but I also have the factory exhaust in mint condition what should I ask for it ?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

That paint doesn't sound like it came that way from the factory. How good of a job is it, and did they do the engine bay and door jams and such? Do you have any pictures?

Xfritzx71

It was a $3000 paint job I believe ppmg done by the best auto shop in Racine,wi othey didn’t do the engine bay or door jams but the factory color was black so the car looks black it just turns blue in certain angles in the sun so the engine bay / door jams didn’t seem worth the extra money. I’m going to be inheriting this car soon and I am just trying to see what I should ask. 40,000 miles on a 91 never driving in snow garage kept it has to been the cleanest one out there.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Pictures will help sell the car. Service records will help with the value of the car. A garaged 240sx in WI is a bit rare, so you have that going for you. You also have low mileage going for you, provided it's verifiable through the records you hopefully have. The value is whatever you agree to sell it for, likely a bit more than in other states, but only by a grand maybe, providing you can find the correct buyer. 3K for paint doesn't say much about the quality except that you hope it's okay. Check for overspray on wheels windows, trim, lights, etc. Check for orange peel and check for runs. Put on the OEM exhaust for more value I'd think. OEM stock still has appeal to it, especially for an old 240sx. Oh, and stick is ideal. If it's auto, there goes a good chunk of the value.

You should keep it, post pictures, have fun!

Xfritzx71

The car is in WY at the moment. It’s from WI it’s never seen snow it is stick and the paint job was done by the 1# auto body in Racine,WI. I just don’t have a clue on what it’s worth. I’m into euro cars myself and don’t need to keep it because I got a SL55 AMG

centralcoaster33

Well, the SL is a nice ride also. Try shopping for a similar 240sx and use those listings as data for your price point. Craigslist, Autotrader and our Classified's section will have comparable listings. Then adjust for location and availability. Then brace yourself for all the teenagers that are getting their license and just need their mom's permission to buy your 240sx... and a few scammers. :gapteeth:

Xfritzx71

Yeah been looking there already not too many out there and definitely not with 40,000 miles on it that’s why I seemed out this Nissan forum group

centralcoaster33

Verifiable low mileage is a plus for value, but not as much as you'd think. Now, KBB sucks for the 240sx value, because it's about half I think. You can still use their program to get scalable values though. Plug in your 40K car, write down the value, plug in 80K, 120K and then 160K (more if you like) for the same car and you'll have a scale factor you can apply to the value of another similar 240sx with higher mileage. Likewise, pay attention to what KBB describes as poor, good, fair, excellent condition. Most people overestimate their cars location on that scale. It seems excellent to the seller, but there's non-OEM parts on there, limited records, minor repairs, etc that make the car just good or fair. So, place the car accordingly, adjust for mileage, double that number, then scale it to the current market... imho.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”