Maxima starting problems

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
thomas.wagner_3

I have a 99 Maxima with 80K miles on it. Lately, especially on cold starts, it has been giving me problems with starting. It has never not started, but two different problems are occurring. The first is that the engine will catch right away and jump to about 1500 RPM and then immediately drop down to about 5 for a few seconds then back to normal idle revs. If it doesn't do that, it is usually taking a little longer to start. The starter motor still turns over at normal speed, but something is not catching. Once it catches, though, it runs fine. Recently I have replaced the ignition coils and spark plugs and battery. I also took the car into the dealer and they couldn't find a problem. Any ideas as to what is going on? Thanks in advance.

NISTECH

When you are cranking it and the problem exists look at your security light. If it is out this problem does not apply. If it is on solid while you are cranking you have a NATS problem. There where a few incedents I have had to deal with where the ECM and IVMS had to be replaced to resolve the incedent.There was actually a TSB on this incedent but I dont recall the exact number of it.

When you took it to the dealer did they check for codes with CONSULT II?

Keep in mind your problem is an am start up problem. So when you take it to the dealer they will start it once in the morning if it doesnt act up that is one whole day gone since any following starts that day you know it wont screw up since it only happens when you start it first thing in the am. Therefore you may need to leave the car with them for a few days till they can verify there really is a problem.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”