Maxima Regrets?

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
CT_Maxima

I am considering purchasing either an '09 SV Maxima or '09 Altima with SL package (4 Cyl). The difference is $7k, not insignificant.

The Max is real sweet and has an upscale interior. The Altima is OK and will do.

Has anyone decided on an Altima over a Maxima only to regret it afterwards?

mcheddadi
Car: R8

I went from a 04 maxima 3.5SE 6mt to a 08 Altima coupe 3.5SE and I couldn't be happier! I do miss the memory seats though

malnevets
Car: 07 Altima Majestic Blue

i've been in the 09 maximas and o.m.g. the interior is amazing.

if you have the money, go for it!!

you could also consider the altima 3.5 SL, this way you can have the power and the luxury

CT_Maxima

malnevets wrote:i've been in the 09 maximas and o.m.g. the interior is amazing.

if you have the money, go for it!!

you could also consider the altima 3.5 SL, this way you can have the power and the luxury
I have driven the 3.5 SL Altima and encountered a lot of torque steer. The Maxima is much smoother.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

CT_Maxima wrote:
I have driven the 3.5 SL Altima and encountered a lot of torque steer. The Maxima is much smoother.
You must have driven a crappy 3.5 then because my 3.5 coupe has almost no torque steer at all....

Slipping OE tires is a different thing....

SniperJoe
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 SE CVT, Premium, Tech, VDC.

No Regrets!

I went from a 2001 Maxima to a 2008 Coupe ... I have no need for 4-doors anymore.

CT_Maxima

marlin29311 wrote:
You must have driven a crappy 3.5 then because my 3.5 coupe has almost no torque steer at all....

Slipping OE tires is a different thing....
I drove a '08 Altima with the 3.5 liter engine. It torqued so hard that I though I found water. I told the salesperson to "drill here."

3ugene
Car: 2008 Altima Sedan 3.5SL

I've driven both (actually have 08 3.5SL)

Obviously... if you're willing to spend more then the Maxima is the better car.

One word though, with the price of the Maxima... why don't you get an 07 or 08 G35 Sedan o.O

CT_Maxima

3ugene wrote:I've driven both (actually have 08 3.5SL)

Obviously... if you're willing to spend more then the Maxima is the better car.

One word though, with the price of the Maxima... why don't you get an 07 or 08 G35 Sedan o.O
I have driven the G35 and found it to be very impressive. It has a firm sporty suspension similar to the Maxima with the sport package.

The big problem is....the 17 city mpg. The only way I can get this is to drive the G35 like a grandma. Why bother? The Maxima is helped out by the FWD and CVT. I have a better chance of getting decent mileage.

atlanta3.5
Car: 2007 Altima 3.5SL

Sounds like your mind is made up-not sure why you posted a question.However,-never had regrets that I bought my 3.5SL (sans torque steer) to end up getting 23+ mpg in awful Atlanta traffic.knowing your road conditions up there (grew up in Trumbull) the Maxima is going to be smoother on those chopped up winter roads. The Altima suspension is not as refinded as the Maxima.

I got a fully loaded 3.5 including nav, bluetooth, etc for 26k. I sit in my car an hour each way to work and feel it was the best decision based on cost, comfort, mileage and looks.

CT_Maxima

I do have my eye on an '09 Maxima. But the Altima is a worthy candidate also. I just wanted to see if any others have had the same decision.

It seems that if money is not an impediment, then go for the Max. It is worth the extra $7-8k

Keyan
Car: 2013 Altima 4D 3.5 SL

The max has a smaller trunk and slightly less interior space than the Altima sedan. It also has higher tire costs (245 18s) so if money, space, and total cost of ownership is a concern then you need to look at those too. Also Nissan is strongly recommending using "ester" oil in them, which at the dealers is a $100 oil change!

That said, they are very nice inside, although I wonder how much the shiny interior finishes glare in the right sun angle. Also there is no storage in the center dash area and the non-nav radio display looks very large and weird to me. Wish they would have made that smaller (like the altima) and put in some storage when going w/o nav.

As far as torque steer on a 3.5 - I have no idea what was wrong with the one you were driving. My 07 3.5SE has only a slight amount under full acceleration in certain conditions that you can easily correct for. Compared to my old 2005 which pulled like a crazy beast.

IMO, and I am biased, a fully loaded 3.5 SE is a better option vs the base "S" max - nearly the same HP to weight ratio, larger trunk, Bose, HID, same mileage, and the same sticker price. But if having a "4DSC" is a big deal, then the Max is also a very nice car and the handling and suspension is very refined vs the 3.5 SE, which is a bit more rough.

kuhan
Car: 2008 350Z Enthusiast 6-speed

i like the new max with newly designed headlights and led taillights. the car looks much better than alty, more luxurious and classy. hid projectors are also a big plus. Go with maxima if you have the money.

1hawaii50
Car: 2007 Altima

I have an 07 altima 2.5sS and I just purchased an 07 Max SE w/everything except NAV. I loved the 09 Max, but there was no way that I could swing the car payment. I've only been driving the Max for a week, but I think the Altima feels cheap to me after driving the Max.

kamikazeH20mln
Car: Nissan 08 Altima 4dr 3.5 SL Precision Gray

If you are going to do a max, you might as well do a Infinity G35 for the same amount of $$.

SuBXeRo

I drove an old 96 i30 for about 4 years and loved it to death and now i drive an 08 stock altima. The maxima is a big upgrade from the altimas in final craftsmenship. Plusher interior, nicer ammenities, 20 hp more than the 3.5 altima, it all depends. In the end though, either altima or maxima you car will depreciate half its value after 4 years.

7k is a big *** difference and well, it depends on what you want more. 7k worth of aftermarket accessories for the altima or 7k more and ano aftermarkets on the maxima or you wait a while.

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”