Max making whistling noise?

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
nismopu
Car: 1987 Nissan 300ZX
1997 Nissan Maxima
1976 Datsun 280Z Turbo

This is my first experience in owning a max(GF's actually) and first experience with the Vq motor. From what I understand and from what I have raced in the past these cars are supposed to be pretty quick. This car feels like a turd sometimes and at idle it makes a very strange high pitch whistle. When you turn the car of it dissapears slowly. So I am under the assumption its vacuum or intake related, it might be nothing and it might be something I just dont know. Right after we bought it about 800 bucks was dumped into it buy the dealer when the check engine light was on. I was not alowed sufficient time to get the codes read to find out what was wrong the car and the bill has mysteriously dissapeared....hmmm. Anyway, the car is an Auto, Vq30de, SE, and a 97 model year. If you guys hae any suggestions as to what this might be or how to get some cheap poop out of this thing that would be great!

NISTECH

Answered in max tech

MaxKlinger
Car: 1996 Nissan Maxima GXE

'97 Maximas had a higher tendancy for alternator failure. Apparently the alternator makes a high pitched whine when it's on it's way out. I've never dealt with this firsthand as my alternator is the original and working just fine!

Good luck!

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”