max boost for nsport stage 1

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Lsnaple

i was looking on the site at the stage 1 kit and it says that they only have the wastgate for 7psi because thats the maximum reliable boost level.is that the most the stage 1 kit will make or can you tune it to make more? i think im gonna go the sleeper rout and i want somewhat high power but i want to be able to push more than 7psi. have any of yall tuned it or should i just save up more and go for a higher stage kit?any help is appreciated.

Wolf240SX
Car: Tuning my car, working on friends cars

you can stay with the stage 1 but you will need to get bigger injectors and a boost controler to gain any more hp out of it. They say 7psi the maximum at stage 1 because your stock injectors will not be able to flow enough fuel to feed the engine with any more than 7psi.

s14mc

what if i get some 440cc injectors...would it be too much for 8-9psi or so? (would the injector size ever be too big? or the ecu or whatever will manage them or what? i mean, is a 440cc injector always feed ar 440cc, or it can feed lower than 440cc to match the boost? sorry if it sounds dumb, but im new to turbo.)

s14mc

with the n-sport stage one and upgraded injectors(what size?)/boost controller what's the maximum boost safe on stock internals?

thanks

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

s14mc wrote:(would the injector size ever be too big? or the ecu or whatever will manage them or what? i mean, is a 440cc injector always feed ar 440cc, or it can feed lower than 440cc to match the boost? sorry if it sounds dumb, but im new to turbo.)
Injectors can't be too big. Those injectors can move up to 440cc of fuel.

Wolf240SX

with the stage 1 kit it comes with an FMU (fuel managment unit) so you can adjust the fuel pressure to the correct setting. The way the FMU works is that for every 1psi opf boost it provides 7psi of fuel. So you just have to play with it and get the right setting for idle and the FMU will take care of the rest. Max boost on stock internals varies with every car. To be on the safe side I would not go past 10psi at the most. I have heard of people going up to 14.5 with no problem and I have heard of people bending rods at 10 so it is your choice on hard you want to push your engine.

Lsnaple

thanks.is that all or would i need a bigger wastegate?

Wolf240SX

no you should not need a bigger wastegate because once you hook up the boost controller that reglates the boost not the wastegate they work in conjunction with one another I believe don't quote me I am learning as I go along with my car. Basically trial and error ( experience there is no better teacher)

george
Car: autocross

injectors can be too big....messes up the idle as the pules width changes

s14mc

i heard that if you got bigger injectors and jwt ecu then you don't need the fmu. is it better to play with the fmu+stock injectors or just go jwt with bigger injectors for around 10psi?

also...are injectors universial? which ones are good and blot-on? i heard MSD is good but what size is good for ~10psi?

any input is appereciated. Thanks

Jeff

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

It would be a good idea to go with bigger injectors, if you search and check up on alot of posts, the stock injectors are good upto 7PSI(I wouldnt trust them that high), if you spend the money in a turbo why not go all the way and buy some bigger injectors, it will save you alot of headaches in the end.

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

the FUM is dangerous above 7psi, sombody on here WAS running at 9psi on an FMU, but I stress was.........

don't cheep out on fuel, it's the best insurance policy your motor can have.

PaulOrlando, FL

Nsport240
Car: My Car

the first thing that you need to do is figure out how much power you want to produce, then you can tune your motor accordingly. I have to concur with Wolf 240, i wouldnt push it above 10psi on stock internals (How many miles does your motor have on it?). The deltagate wastegate that was provided with your kit has a 7 pound spring so that you cannot boost over 7psi, if you want to run more boost, you should start with a new wastegate (to be perfectly honest, i havent checked with deltagate to see if you can relpace the spring, i just bought a blitz unit) and a boost controller. I could go on for a while, if you would like, email me at [email protected]. Good luck.

Lsnaple

138,000. first im going to add a little suspension work, then get a rebuild.after that im going to be saving up for the turbo kit, which will probably have to be around the end of summer.right now im gathering info about it so i dont mess up and do something horrible like blow the engine.

What is and where can i buy that book about turbo's that people on here recommend?

white240

do i have to rebuild my engine for teh nsport turbo kit if i have 140kmiles .i will only be running 7 psi. doi have to? i know its definitly onteh safer side..but if i dont crank the boost will i be ok?then later down the line upgrade the internals and crank the boost?

DaveEEE

Movingviolation240 wrote:the FUM is dangerous above 7psi, sombody on here WAS running at 9psi on an FMU, but I stress was.........

don't cheep out on fuel, it's the best insurance policy your motor can have.

PaulOrlando, FL

Gah, paul, it had nothing to do with fuel and you know it. :mad:

-david, 93 ka24det

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Wolf240SX wrote:with the stage 1 kit it comes with an FMU (fuel managment unit) so you can adjust the fuel pressure to the correct setting. The way the FMU works is that for every 1psi opf boost it provides 7psi of fuel. So you just have to play with it and get the right setting for idle and the FMU will take care of the rest. Max boost on stock internals varies with every car. To be on the safe side I would not go past 10psi at the most. I have heard of people going up to 14.5 with no problem and I have heard of people bending rods at 10 so it is your choice on hard you want to push your engine.

Yes, while it will increase fuel pressure as boost increases, but the FMU adds a restriction in order to achieve the higher pressure. This means that as you increase fuel pressure, the pump will no longer be able to provide adequate fuel flow at such a high pressure. Also, fuel injectors can fail to open at too high a pressure as well. For only a small amount of boost, this is fine, but at higher boost levels, it becomes quite unreliable. A larrger pump might help, but ultimately, the FMU is quite limited.

As far as blowing motors, don't blame the motor as much as the tuning involved. Bad tuning of turbo motors, usually end up with detonation. You can put the most expensive, and strongest parts into a motor, but if you detonate enough, you will damage the motor.

C-Kwik

george wrote:injectors can be too big....messes up the idle as the pules width changes

Only if you go too big. I believe JWT can tune up to 70 lb injectors. Beyond that they get idle problems. If you're boosting that high, you may consider a dual stage injection system. Perhaps even with a separate fuel cell for the secondary injectors run on race gas for extra insurance.

C-Kwik

TrueSlide wrote:It would be a good idea to go with bigger injectors, if you search and check up on alot of posts, the stock injectors are good upto 7PSI(I wouldnt trust them that high), if you spend the money in a turbo why not go all the way and buy some bigger injectors, it will save you alot of headaches in the end.

7 PSI would be on the ragged edge if not beyond it's limits for stock injectors. With my FMU, 8-9 psi spikes resulted in detonation. 7 PSI without an FMU would be extrememly dangerous unless you backed off timing severely.

Nsport240

good call, listen to these guys, i am not on very much to post but there is really good advice in here. I think the biggest thing is just to spend a little bit more money now so you arent rebuilding your motor and bank account later.

Zebrahead
Car: cars, basketball, girls, fishing

IWannaS15 wrote:Injectors can't be too big. Those injectors can move up to 440cc of fuel.

Wrong. You can have too large injectors. A freind of mine put a GReddy turbo on his GSR motor (in a civic), and his car was running way too rich because the injectors were pouring in too much gas. The tuning shop he went to said even if they tuned it, it would run rich. Now he's putting on his stock injectors back on because he plans to run 5-6psi.

Nick.

C-Kwik

Zebrahead wrote:Wrong. You can have too large injectors. A freind of mine put a GReddy turbo on his GSR motor (in a civic), and his car was running way too rich because the injectors were pouring in too much gas. The tuning shop he went to said even if they tuned it, it would run rich. Now he's putting on his stock injectors back on because he plans to run 5-6psi.

Nick.

In order to Properly install different sized injectors, you need to compensate by retuning the ROM or using a stand-alone or piggy-back computer to modify the fuel injector pulse widths. If your friend put in larger injectors without making the proper adjustments, then it WILL run rich because a larger injector will flow more fuel at a given pulse width at the same fuel pressure.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

There seem to be alot of tuners(i use the term loosely) on here handing out info just cause they read it online. If you don't have experience with what your posting you shouldn't post.

Injector size, of course you can run an injector to big. If you install 70lb injectors on a 1.6 liter engine and run under 12 psi of boost and don't have the entire ecu remapped your probably going to be on the rich side.

If you want to run high boost you should buy a decent intank pump and a decent fuel press regulator. That way you don't starve your fuel rail.

Basically you have to consider each engine seperatly. Forced induction is the way to go for serious hp. More boost equals more power...its quite simple really.

The only thing that kills your forced induction motor aside from mistreatment is detonation. No one on here should be running high boost without a knock sensor and an AF gauge and a fuel system that will support atleast 5 psi more then you plan on running.

Don't just buy injectors and think you can up the boost...

WD

Nsport240

if we get back to the original post, the problem was, how much boost can i run on an Nsport stage 1 setup? very simply, 7 pounds. if you wnat to run more, its 7 lbs of fuel for every 1 lb of boost. if your stock injector cant handle 7x the amount of boost you want to run, get bigger ones. if your FPR cant handle bigger ones, upgrade it and so on. Sorry, i just wanted to make sure the original question was answered.

Lsnaple

thanks everybody!

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

For Zebrahead and his friend...

Injectors are like facets.They can be turned on just barely to where they drip, they can be turned on full blast, or any where in between.The ECU controls how far the injector "facet" is opened and how long it stays open. Of course, the ECU has to know how big of an injector it's controlling. If the ECU says, "Open full blast", a lot more fuel will be injected if you're using a big "facet" than if you're using the stock sized "facet".

The point is, if you're running high boost, you need bigger injectors. By installing bigger injectors and and programming the ECU accordingly, you can increase the amount of fuel injected into the cylinder. This doesn't mean that the larger injectors constantly run at their max flow. They just have a larger range of fuel delivering capability.

Nsport240

Exactly.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”