Mass Airflow Sensor

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
imperial7
Car: Manual 1995 Nissan 240sx

Hello,

I have a manual 1995 Nissan 240sx. When driving the car catches air which causes it to studder as if it is not getting gas. Sometimes the car will even shut off. This will happen no matter what gear I am in. I had the car checked by a local mechanic and was told to replace the mass airflow sensor which I did. Unfortunately the pigtail that attaches to the new filter is different from the old filter. I have cant find a pigtail to fit the new sensor. I have been searching for some time but cannot find a pigtail to fit. Has anyone else had this or a similar problem? Does anyone know where I can find a pigtail that will work or a good work around for the problem?

Thanks.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi and welcome to NICO Club!

If you slow down a bit, you won't be catching air so much. What kind of jumps are you launching off of anyway? That's kind of nutty. Is your suspension bad?

The '95 MAF has no pigtail, just a plug for your engine harness socket. Sounds like you need to return your MAF and purchase the correct one. Or, maybe you can describe what filter you're talking about. The MAF is separate from the air intake filter. Do you mean the air intake temperature sensor maybe?

Here's a picture of your MAF. There is no filter or pigtail. Your questions don't make much sense at the moment, but I still want to help. I've got a '95 and it's great fun when it's working properly. So, I'd like to get yours working so you can enjoy it again. Can you rephrase the question a bit to make it easier to help?

imperial7
Car: Manual 1995 Nissan 240sx

Thank you for your quick and witty response.

I am talking about the MAF. Mine is just like in the pic you posted. I used the word pigtail because when I search on ebay that is the term used. When looking at the pic you posted, the top center rectangular opening is where the pigtail would go into. Inside I have three short metal prongs that would attach to the pigtail. This was the way it was on the original one I replaced and the new one. The pigtails that I have found that claim to be adaptable to the 240 have four inserts and still do not fit in the opening. Whatever assistance you could provide would be appreciated.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Okay, well we're on the cutoff year for OBD stuff. There's early 1995 and late 1995, somewhere around March/ April of 1994, things changed. Check your drivers side door jamb and let me know what year and month your car was produced please. There's a three prong and a four prong MAF for 1995 or maybe it's 3 wire and 4 wire... I think. The plug is 'keyed' meaning it shouldn't accidentally fit other plugs. I don't have my car here at work or I'd look and take a photo for you. So, if your current wire harness doesn't plug into your new MAF, there is a chance you got the wrong MAF. I think my harness plug (pigtail?) has four wires leading up to it, and four slots in the plug, but only connects to the three prongs in the MAF. I'm gonna have to take a look tonight.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”