Mass Airflow Sensor Replacement

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
@Jab011
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid

Hi everyone, I have a 2017 Rogue Hybrid and I had my check engine light turn on and after taking it into the dealership they said my MAF needs to be replaced. After looking at the price of a replacement MAF (ranges between $293 and $358) I was shocked to get an quote of more than $800. They said the following things need to be done and that's how they got to this estimate: "mass air flow sensor , clean throttle , idle -re-learn and possible ecm reprogram"

Does this make sense or are they trying to screw me over? I was expecting this to be closer to around $500 to fix this issue.

Please let me know as I don't know if I can shell out that much money at the moment.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If the code was a P0448 then an ECM repro could be necessary in order to make the P-DTC erasable, there's a bulletin about it:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/ ... 8-0001.pdf

However, there are a lot of different MAF-related codes and it's hard to help you without knowing what it is. If it was P0101, that's never caused by the MAF itself and is usually from a small vacuum leak, dirty Throttle Body, or bad PCV Valve.

The part number for your MAF is 22680-5RB0A, RockAuto lists a very reputable Hitachi for $120. There's also a Beck-Arnley for $65 but it I don't think I'd trust it. Aftermarket MAF's generally work fine on Nissans, but you must perform an Idle Air Volume Learn (IAVL) after replacement in order to match the new MAF to the the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) in the ECM's memory. If you have the CVTz50 app to monitor your tranny then it has work support for IAVL and you can DIY it. The MAF itself is two phillips head screws with a stubby screwdriver to replace, and should take no more than 10 minutes. IAVL will take another 10. Cleaning the Throttle Body (if needed) is about a 30 minute job. Reflashing the ECM (if needed) is also about 30 minutes. So by my calculation they should be charging you about 1.5 hours at most. Dealer rates are generally around $150/hr these days, so assuming they use the most expensive sensor and it needs all the work, that would make the tab 225 + 358 = $583. That means they're fixing to charge you 2.5~3.0 hours for labor, which is ridiculous.

@Jab011
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid

Thank you very much for the response, it was a huge help when talking to the dealership. I greatly appreciate the insight. I have taken my car to a different location.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”