Manual Transmission

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Obsydian

Manual Transmission to suit VH41DE, starter motor on passenger side (right hand drive).

Anyone come across or considered this one?

The engine is not and will not be in it's familiar luxury car surroundings, machine shop work and massive fabrication is entirely not a problem. Looks like 300ZX flywheel and clutch will match up, anyone confirm?

Looking for an easy answer before investing the time to reinvent the wheel.

Bellhousing modification it may have to be... ?

VK45 easier or harder?

Once complete I will of course share info and images for your personal amusement...

Cheers,Obzai

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

The VH45de autotranny is same as used in the 300 ZXTT which also came with a manual.Maybe look at that manual tranny and then mate it to a VH45DE?

Fred..:confused:

Obsydian

Cheers for that, will look into it over the weekend.

Bolt patterns for block to bellhousing on VH and VG don't match, so perhaps they have interchangeable bellhousings?

Could make it quite easy!

Obzai

Eswift
Car: should be obvious enough

they probably do have interchangeable bell housings because the J30 in japan had both VG30 and VH41 engines, all with only auto trannies. this leads me to believe that for economies of scale, those bell housings were designed to be interchangeable.

Obsydian

Update:

No manual transmission bolts straight on.

Forget anything you read anywhere else, I have researched this by hand. With some work on an adaptor plate, a VQ series manual from a 300ZX may be made to fit, but it's really not very close. Looks like custom bellhousing would be required (I think some people already know this and have remained quiet).

Good news is, if you're going to make a custom bellhousing, you've got your pick of boxes to handle the torque ;)

Obzai

Eswift

you mean VG series, right?

also, arent the manual transmission bellhousings cast integrally with the rest of the transmission case?

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

vg manual trans is a two piece case(mostly). no bellhousing to swap. get a custom bellhousing and choose your tranny. the vg manual is a tough hombre, but it isnt as tough as say a getrag six speed. did that make your eyes light up? it did mine.

Obsydian

Cheers, yes I did mean VG... apologies.

and yes, the case of every Nissan manual box I looked at did not have a removable bellhousing, however the VQ auto for the V8 does, which makes it a little easier to play cut and shut.

That said:

"Good news is, if you're going to make a custom bellhousing, you've got your pick of boxes to handle the torque"

is only this:

"get a custom bellhousing and choose your tranny."

put more eloquently.

So the list expands from "does an RB25 or VG30 box come close?" to "supra 5 speed, this, that, the other" and now "getrag six speed" ;)

Still, at least this go kart should trundle nicely when we're done... if I can figure out where to put the seat...

Eswift

there is a tomei adapter plate available to suit the VG30D- series of engines for the hollinger h6s 6 speed tranny...retails at over a grand though

mmm getrag or hollinger....

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”