Manual to Power Windows

NICO's official source for Nissan upholstery, carpet, headliners, and trim information!
L_adan_C
Car: 92 240sx/ Hatch/ red

Hey guys in new here, i've had my 240 for about a month. I've had this burning question for a while now. Is it possible to convert a manual window setup to a power window. I know it's possible with aftermarket kits. But i wonder if it's possible just by swapping in door panels and regulators. I know there would have to a power source that doesn't seem like a tough task. Anyone ever tried this?

RalliartRsX

Bump for some knowledge and light on subject

Black on Gold

I was thinking this myself. Im sure you could just buy Power Windows,etc panels along with the switches onto the door. Havent tried it but doesnt seem all that hard.

mattscar
Car: 1989 240sx, 1992 Miata

they have manual windows here in the US?

beans33
Car: 1993 ca18det 240sx

im thinking about goin from manual to power as well. I got another 240 thats the same color so Im just thinking about switching both whole doors. Im not sure what wiring will need to be done. any help is appreciated

Slidewaysgtr7412
Car: 1991 nissan 240sx hatch

BUMP. sorry i know this is old, if any of you want to i will trade window regulators/assemblys if you have a 91 or compatible

xxcrashxx
Car: 95 Infiniti J30

this might help ya out a bit.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com...lasso

u could even try searching for that on ebay. :D

zerosum6
Car: 240sx Coupe

I just did this in my car just get a power window regulator with the motor attached to it,put it in and wire up the switches[aftermarket is easier]

jubee
Car: 92hs13

wow this is funny i stumbled on this casue i was gonna do the same thing. i have a buddie that is getting me a a set of mint condition doors but they are PW locks and windows. i don't think the wiring would be too diffcult on doing the switch.

Edub1
Car: 89 240sx KA-T

I'm doing it. The wiring is highly involved and will require all the harnesses and an amplifier and lock timer.

Instead of going through all that I'm going to 86 the door controlls and make a switch panel where my ashtray was. In this pannel I will have one switch for the locks, wired to a remote and one for each window. The switches are the type that flip flop the current from one direction to the other.

The doors have limit switches too if you want to have a one tap style auto window.

A.Tech
Car: 1998 Nissan Maxima SE Black on Black 5-speed, and yes. I know my avatar is a Gen 5... lol

If there is a power window door for a 240SX I would just swap doors. However I don't think it is possible to just simply slap in power motors and call it a day. The reason is how the door is made. The Scissor track works different from the ones in a hand crank window. Not to mention the door may have no mounting hole for a motor nor a place where you can stick the motors teeth into pinon gear for the window.

I don't know much about 240SX doors it is just this is mostly what is in most cars that have different setups. However knowing Nissan you could be lucky enough to have the door that the power version uses and have all the correct mounting holes and pinion gear in there to just slap the Hardness, switch, motor... Etc. in there without too much issues...

good luck...hope this helped.

Edub1

I am swaping my doors to power ones. The locks connect to a timer which I believe lock the doors after a certain time period. The windows have the one click automatic system. Unless you have all the wiring it will be a major PIA to hook them up stock like. That's why I'm just going to wire from scratch with the basic open close functions.

zerosum6

I have had both the add on crank in the car and the factory power ones,both are easy to do.

The add on ones use where your handle used to be and fits on with adapters to for the teeth,if your window is hard to crank this will make it slow. If your crank is stuck you will need new window regulators anyway.

The factory replacement way to go is to find a junked 240 with power and take the power window regulator and motor that is attached to it out and swap for yours.

Both ways will require either a switch kit or relays to make it work, since all factory and aftermarket power window operate on 2 wire reversing wires you can use a set of cool SPAL window switches for eitherGo to http://www.spalusa.com/ for the power window add ons and the window kits you need.

I will probobly do a writeup on this after i take pics to clear up any questions,if you have any just let me know at [email protected]
A.Tech wrote:If there is a power window door for a 240SX I would just swap doors. However I don't think it is possible to just simply slap in power motors and call it a day. The reason is how the door is made. The Scissor track works different from the ones in a hand crank window. Not to mention the door may have no mounting hole for a motor nor a place where you can stick the motors teeth into pinon gear for the window.

I don't know much about 240SX doors it is just this is mostly what is in most cars that have different setups. However knowing Nissan you could be lucky enough to have the door that the power version uses and have all the correct mounting holes and pinion gear in there to just slap the Hardness, switch, motor... Etc. in there without too much issues...

good luck...hope this helped.

nuts_and_screws

I guess the whole package comes with the wirings and everything. If not, there must be a supplier somehwere.

________________________________Auveco Body Hardware and Fasteners - Auveco Body Hardware and Speciality Fasteners

zerosum6

nuts_and_screws wrote:I guess the whole package comes with the wirings and everything. If not, there must be a supplier somehwere.

________________________________Auveco Body Hardware and Fasteners - Auveco Body Hardware and Speciality Fasteners
To get the power windows to work you either need a kit like the SPAL one where power runs through the switch,or you can use any switch [even a single contact switch like an alarm valet button] with a set of relays.

If you want to use the factory 240 power window switches it will be alot of work as you would need to correctly wire up the switches and the power window amplifier.

2nd-There is no way to just take the wiring out of the factory power 240 as the wires for the windows run through the factory wiring harness you would need to rip out and swap the ENTIRE wiring harness to do so.

sir420
Car: 85 300zx and 2 90 240sx

Doing this conversion myself but ditching the nissan electric door locks since aftermarket kit is waaayyy easier. I have got the wireing harness and all the components down to a ground wire and a hot lead. Now need to install all the wireing in the dash. I am useing the wireing from my doner car which made it pretty much plug and play. I had the windows going up and down on my garage floor before ever attempting to put them in the car. I may post some pics of whats left and what is needed to put these in.

Edub1

Windows are a piece of cake. The locks are kind of complicated - I'll figure it out eventually.

sir420
Car: 85 300zx and 2 90 240sx

Half way through with this conversion. 3 wires for passanger side and 4 for drivers. one black for ground and one white with black stripe for positive terminal. everything else is eitherin the door or traveling to the other side

RPS13-RB25
Car: S13 w/ S2 RB25DET

is there anyone here that would want to trade their black manual window door panels for black power ones? i have 2 sets of power panels and switches that are just laying around and i've been looking for manual door panels for months. i know this is kinda a thread jack and sorry for that but this seems like the right place to mantion this as most of you seem to be wanting to go the exact opposite way that i am. let me know if anyone's interested.

btw, if going from manual to power is anything like going from power to manual (as i would assume it is) there should be no complications other than wiring it to power somehow. my swap took about 10 minutes on each side.

Edub1

Would you be willing to pull the wiring and components for the power ones?

kurama240sx
Car: 93240sx coupe

how are you making the white with black stripe a positive terminal. im having trouble with this part

Return to “Interiors”