Making a Frankenstein......

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
240SX=fun4me!
Car: Stuff

OK, I'm definitely gonna get booed at, flamed, and have burning dogcrap in a bag thrown at me, but I am about to undertake a Frankenstein straight-shot car. I'll be honest, I've never done this before, but i have a friend who has that is going in this with me 50/50. He just put an LT1 corvette engine in a 2nd Gen. RX7 body.

Well anyways, this is what i am really here about: I am buying a beat up cheap Pontiac Fiero GT (500-1000$-ish) and ripping out all the extras(seats, dash, ventilation,etc.). From their I am installing a full rollcage.

'What does this have to do with Nissan?' you might be saying. Well here it is. I want to put this engine... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...46098

...In this car... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=6419

I KNOW this is gonna be a horrendous amount of work (mostly frame fab and engine fitment) but I really want to do it...I mean, how many Fieros have Skyline swaps, seriosly. Not to mention the power to weight ratio involved.

Fiero's are Mid engine cars, and this is why I want to use this particular vehicle.

My question is: Is it possible for me to fit the Skyline engine into the rear...and match up the drivetrain? I know I'll need custom axles and all, and a new rear-end to handle the power, but I'm more worried about tranny-to-drivetrain compatability. I don't know enough about this motor or the drivetrain it comes with ( I have a 240SX only) but I am assuming this is the AWD version, which means that there shud be a 'drive?' output on the front and one for the rear tires. What I proposed to do was to turn the engine backwards and only use the front-wheel drives for it. But would that damage the tranny(since it might think the rear tires are slipping all the time?)

Well i will have many more questions to come, but first i need to start planning costs.

Please remember when replying, I am NEWB to skyline motors, I'm gonna read up on em a bit, so please be easy on me when ya flame me for my stupidity

-Cab

wawazat8402
Car: 89 Sil80- RB25DET

rb25 is rwd, rb26dett is awd.

silvia-junkie
Car: s14 kouki

the fiero has a engine inline with the axles while the rb has the engine intersecting the axels good luck lining that up

Fenvy
Car: 2005 350Z Base 6MT

I wouldn't buy from him

look at his feedback, not a very reliable source of engine supplier if you know what I mean. Also, I hav a feeling he's someone who pump his own feedbacks

240SX=fun4me!

yea, lining up the axles is gonna be my biggest concern. I need to get the Fiero and take some measurements from where the axles come out of the tranny and see if they would line up at all with the engine.

I think it might be possible, because my MY05 Subaru Impreza's drive tranny is right in line with my drive axles, so i was assuming the AWD Skyline's would be as well. But like i said, I'm gonna get the Car and start measuring sheet out.

ty for the engine inform. I haven't had the greatest luck finding to many deatails about engine/drivetrain combos online. It's mostly HP talk and basic specs, nothing more in depth.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I won't say "it can't be done" anything can be done with enough money, look at Michael Jackson. I will say that the RB is a bad choice for that car due to the length. Having an RB and having stood next to a Fiero I have to say there is no way to fit the motor and any kind of transmission in that car. If you want to put the RB in something get a longer RWD car, if you want to put nissan power in the Fiero go with one of the four bangers, I would reccomend the CA myself, cut the front clip off a pulsar and graft it under the rear of the Fiero.

240SX=fun4me!

Ok guys, I've done a bit more planning. I have finally recieved the Fiero I plan to use, and am now in the stage of buying the motor and finding some help around Northeast PA.

I've decided to go with the VG30DETT motor. Its a V6, not inline, and puts out nearly the same numbers i wanted HP/TQ ways. The engine is on the cheaper side to get, but is more expensive overall to modify (double everything).

I'll have the money to get the engine within the next 4-6 weeks, and will then be ordering. I'll probably jump on an E-bay deal (seems to be the cheapest), but if you guys know of an importers that are reliable (and cheap) I wouldn't mind the referrals.

I'm going to be making a Cardomain site so that I can make a step by step of the project for all of you who are interested.

Next stop after this: Find an automotive machine shop.

xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

good luck, that swap will require a lot of hard work. and a lot of hard work every time you try to wrench on it. ive seen how hard it is to work on a vg30 in a 300zx, i couldnt imagine working on one in a fiero. i hope you like motor pulls.

240SX=fun4me!

Xek, The hardest part will only be rewiring everything, and getting gauges for it all. Pulling a fiero apart is literally Disonnect some wires, pull 4 bolts on the rear cradle, and drop. It's easy as hell to work on.

The Fiero is built with room for a V6 engine, plus, im cutting out the trunk space in front of the motor to give more lee-way to work on the engine.

Im keeping the Fiero Stock 5-speed tranny (rated to use up until 450 horses, if ya know how to shift ). All thats gonna be a hassle is I need to make a custom plate to fit the VG up to the Fiero Transmission.

sean8564
Car: 1993 GTR Vspec, 1991 300zx TT Black , 1993 Nissan Silvia, 1990 Nissan 240sx Coupe RB25DET

Dude that is going to be one crazy car

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

I am not sure what model fiero came with the V6 but if you can find a tranny from a V6 model, you might be able to get that VG30 mated up to it, even though it will be horizontally mounted, but the V6 Fiero's were anyway...give that some thought. And think about the VG30ET. Only single turbo, but still can make decent power.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”