Making a drink I got the recipe for... Guignolet

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

I was at a friend's restaurant this weekend, and he had made this. It is hands down, one of the best drinks I have ever tasted. It doesn't taste like wine, has a little bit of a bite, but not much, and is sweet. A few glasses will knock your d**k in the dirt.

He gave me the recipe, and so I will be making a large batch, since cherry leaves will be gone in a few weeks.

It's called "Guignolet". It can be served chilled, but I preferred it best after it warmed a little and was about 50º-60º.

Ingredients:

1 Bottle dry red wine (pinot noir, merlot or zinfandel) 3/4 Cup vodka1/3 Cup Sugar60 leaves from a cherry tree, washed. Pick the leaves while still green. 10-15 Cherries destemmed but NOT pitted. (Yes, you want to use the pits.

If you want a sweet drink, use sweet cherries. If you like a less sweet drink, use tart or pie cherries. What I drank was made with sweet cherries.

Mix all contents together, and put in a large seal able container. Store somewhere cool (40º-55ºF) and dark. Cover and let stand for 15 days.

After the 15 days, using a super fine strainer (shinwa) or if not available, many layers of cheesecloth, filter out the contents, so the drink is free of solids.

Using a ladel and funnel, bottle into wine bottles and cork. Fill bottle 1.5" - 2" from top. Can be stored for up to a year in a cool location. Refrigerate after opening.

To prepare bottles for bottling;

Wash and brush with soapy water. Rinse well. Take a large pot of water, and boil. Place bottles in boiling water until they are completely filled and submerged. Let boil for 10 minutes. Remove bottles with tongs, and place upside down to drain. (After the bottles drain, flip them right side up while still hot. The moisture that may be left will evaporate out, and you won't be left with condensation on the inside.) Place your new corks in near boiling (NOT BOILING) water for 3 minutes. (don't re-use the old corks)

Corking a bottle with a fresh cork is a PITA. If you are doing a large batch like I am (10-15 bottles) it is definitely worth getting a bottle corker.

gammer_ghn

Yes that is a very old drink made by Armenians who shared their borders with Russia and its called Vishnovka. It is used for belly aches and high class desert drink. You can buy it at any Armenian liquor store... Use the cherry stems with seeds you will get a way better result without the leaf taste... And cognac sets this drink off very well. I love how there are so many different collaborations with alcohol cultures and people. I want my own distillery.

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

that actually sounds really good. too bad i don't have the patience to make it myself. i guess i'll have to try and find some at a liquor store.

Beancooker

It was also made by the French. Definitely a dessert drink. In France it was originally produced where Cointreau was first made.

The use of the cherry leaves is essential. The leaves contain a substance that gives the drink it's "potency". Without the leaves, it won't give you such a relaxing feeling after a glass or two.

gammer_ghn

Thats where the stems come in and the seeds. haha put like 30-40 stems in there in one of your bottles and you will enjoy it. also leave it under the sun it will help with the extraction of the needed ingredients and having them sink down to the end of the bottle.

Beancooker

Good to know. I'll follow the recipe that I have for most of my batch, but I'll make one bottle with your advice. I'll let you know the outcome in a few weeks.

Oh, I live in WA State, the sun is gone and won't be back until June or July.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

sounds like it'll take a while to make....

I'll continue to buy beer....or mix vodka with whatever kind juive I have around...

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

How about you brew 16 instead of 15 and ship me one? There's a shiny nickel in it for you if you do.

Beancooker

I'll see what I can do.

I have a 3.5 gallon carboy and it's almost filled. I do have to be reserved, this has to last me until next season.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Make 2 batches? You know you can't be reserved...

Beancooker

I sacrificed money toward a new bumper, so I could make this. It was my birthday present. Wine alone was near $100, plus the Vodka, $30 then cherries, a carboy, I have to get a corker and corks. Remember, what you pay for a bottle of vodka, add WA State tax of 34% and it's a spendy bottle.

Here is the criminal breakdown;

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

jesus....get me a transam and a rig and we'll run ya some up there in 18 hours.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I GOT YOUR BACK BANDIT! Call me Snowman!I'll keep an eye out for any Bears and Texas gumball machines from my rockin chair, meet up at the choke and puke? C'mon back now!

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Do you pick the cherry leaves yourself or is this a store bought item? I don't ever remember seeing cherry leaves in one of our stores.

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

RIP Jerry Reed, you were far greater a man than I.

So where the crap am I supposed to find cherry leaves? I can handle ornamental non-fruiting cherry tree leaves, but there aint no real cherry trees in this state. So, can I use sketchy southern cherry tree leaves?

Beancooker

I went to a buddy's house and picked the damn leaves myself. Wet, cold and pissing rain.

You definitely want the leaves of a fruit bearing cherry tree. I was quite surprised at how fragrant the leaves were. After the ride to my house with them in the trunk, I open the trunk, and it reeked of cherries.

Cherries don't grow in Alabama? That is something I didn't know.

Beancooker

So I cracked open the carboy and poured a glass to see the progress. I'm half lit, and damn it is tasty. It even tasted good on the first sip.

Probably bottle it this weekend.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

dgcda

One of my favorite vin maison, for red wine guignolet, the leaves have to be taken from a guigne(wild cherry) or a sour cherry tree, preferably a morello or (my favorite) montmorency. Use of additional ripe sour cherries is secondary to using the leaves, and use at least 100 fresh leaves per liter of wine. This wine is an aperitif, ie when made correctly only a touch sweet, and to be served with savory starters like toasted nuts, duck pate on toast, or blue cheese stuffed figs. And the extra fine strainer is a "chinoise."

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

gammer_ghn wrote:Yes that is a very old drink made by Armenians who shared their borders with Russia and its called Vishnovka. It is used for belly aches and high class desert drink. You can buy it at any Armenian liquor store... Use the cherry stems with seeds you will get a way better result without the leaf taste... And cognac sets this drink off very well. I love how there are so many different collaborations with alcohol cultures and people. I want my own distillery.
haha Armenians think they invented everything. Classic.

ADDirishboy
Car: 2008 Nissan Titan Pro4x

dgcda wrote:One of my favorite vin maison, for red wine guignolet, the leaves have to be taken from a guigne(wild cherry) or a sour cherry tree, preferably a morello or (my favorite) montmorency. Use of additional ripe sour cherries is secondary to using the leaves, and use at least 100 fresh leaves per liter of wine. This wine is an aperitif, ie when made correctly only a touch sweet, and to be served with savory starters like toasted nuts, duck pate on toast, or blue cheese stuffed figs. And the extra fine strainer is a "chinoise."
So you actually google searched something obscure, somehow came across a 2 year old thread, created a user name and all that shiz just to bump a zombie thread? :tisk:

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

I totally missed that. Wow.

sentrastace
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

we makin moonshine?!?!?! :p
this actually sounds really good. think ill try it.

Return to “General Chat”