Maintainance costs

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

Is a Y34 M45 going to cost me a lot more to maintain than an I30 or I35? I'm not worried about major failures-that's what a warranty is for...but will things like brakes and stuff be outrageously expensive? I'm a college student and I can probably afford $1000/year in maintainance costs....

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

MattB wrote:Is a Y34 M45 going to cost me a lot more to maintain than an I30 or I35? I'm not worried about major failures-that's what a warranty is for...but will things like brakes and stuff be outrageously expensive? I'm a college student and I can probably afford $1000/year in maintainance costs....
My guess is that the Y34 will be higher than the I30 or I35, but not more than 20% to 25%, I would think. Little things like more spark plugs, more injectors, etc., will up the regular maintenance costs for those changes.

Tires (at 18") are definitely more expensive (assuming stock rims for the Y34 and the I30/35.) I use 245/45-18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 now and these are almost $1k for the four wheels (less cost than the stock OEM's, by the way!)

I recently received the coupon book from the local Infiniti dealer ... it is at home. So, I'll take a look later and see what their regular service costs are listed at for all the cars and post them here sometime soon.

I also have the details somewhere for how much my Y34 has cost me over the past few years ... I will look for that too.

Z

MattB

szhosain wrote:
My guess is that the Y34 will be higher than the I30 or I35, but not more than 20% to 25%, I would think. Little things like more spark plugs, more injectors, etc., will up the regular maintenance costs for those changes.

Tires (at 18") are definitely more expensive (assuming stock rims for the Y34 and the I30/35.) I use 245/45-18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 now and these are almost $1k for the four wheels (less cost than the stock OEM's, by the way!)

I recently received the coupon book from the local Infiniti dealer ... it is at home. So, I'll take a look later and see what their regular service costs are listed at for all the cars and post them here sometime soon.

I also have the details somewhere for how much my Y34 has cost me over the past few years ... I will look for that too.

Z
Thanks, that's a big help to me...having information on how much it costs to maintain will really help me determine whether I can actually afford the car.

As for the tires, has going with 245/45/18 instead of the OEM 235/45/18 run into any issues like rubbing? If it's totally fine that's great to know too because the OEM Michelin all-season tires are hideously expensive.

szh

Dang, I forgot to look at the maintenance costs on that flyer! I will try to do so tonight ... sorry about that.

The 245/45-18 size has worked out perfectly, with only the very slightest of speedo error! No rubbing and the far larger choice of tires makes for lower cost than OEM. As I mentioned, I am currently using the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, so the price is not a lot lower than the OEM Michelin or OEM Bridgestone Turanza, but the handling is way superior!

There are lower cost options in 245/45-18 available too (like Avon). I have a spreadsheet of possible tires for the Y34 M45 that lists details (specs, speedo error estimates based on actual tire specs - not hypothetical size calculations, etc.) If you (or anyone else) wants a copy, please drop me an e-mail!

Z

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

a newish M will cost less than a G50 Q to maintain to as new standards..... Im in college and have no problem with maintenance... dont worry about it, buy the damn car.....

MattB

elwesso wrote:a newish M will cost less than a G50 Q to maintain to as new standards..... Im in college and have no problem with maintenance... dont worry about it, buy the damn car.....
I just have to wait and see where the prices are by the time I'm planning on buying one (summer 06). I'm hoping that there will be a bunch of unwanted lease return '03s and the price will drop below $20000 for something with around 50-60K on it. I'm not even concerned about options...if I can get one in black, graphite, silver, or red (I saw one in red the other day and really liked the color) I'd buy it (assuming it had a clean carfax and was checked out by a dealer first).

This with black interior and a spoiler would be great.

szh

Matt, I have put the service prices into another thread, since it may be informative for other people too, with an appropriate thread title: zerothread?id=148207

Z

P.S. I think that red color (Garnet Fire, as I recall) is very, very nice indeed!

MattB

Thanks for posting that. Gives me some good information in comparing costs.

MattB

They've dropped below $20000....this has too many miles for what I want but I like the price...this dealer has two, one at $18K and one at $20K.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...t=166

szh

MattB wrote:They've dropped below $20000....this has too many miles for what I want but I like the price...this dealer has two, one at $18K and one at $20K.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...t=166
Yeah, that mileage is pretty high! If it is a lease return, you also have to watch out for what was not done (like the transmission fluid changes, etc.) to the car for normal maintenance ... when people know they are going to turn the vehicle in after some period, many folks get sloppy about maintenance, unfortunately. I found this out the hard way with my previous 1995 Q45 (I purchased it used in 1998.)

I have had my current 2003 M45 since September of 2003 and I have just under 30,000 miles on it (going in for a service next Monday 12/2). I own this car (no lease) and look after it a lot better than most people, because I plan to keep it for many years! (I have a thread here somewhere about the overkill fluid changes I do with new cars after break-in.)

Z

MattB

szhosain wrote:
Yeah, that mileage is pretty high! If it is a lease return, you also have to watch out for what was not done (like the transmission fluid changes, etc.) to the car for normal maintenance ... when people know they are going to turn the vehicle in after some period, many folks get sloppy about maintenance, unfortunately. I found this out the hard way with my previous 1995 Q45 (I purchased it used in 1998.)

Z
Yeah I work at a Honda/VW dealer during my summer breaks from school and see a lot of lease return cars that are beat to hell. I figure a top to bottom check by an Infiniti tech would be able to give me a decent idea how its been treated.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”