Macbook help please!

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
packerjd04
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima S 2.5 Coupe

Hey guys i have had my macbook for about a year now, got it last year for school, and for the past couple weeks the fan is always running at high rpms and the cpu and whatnot are just running very hot. I have tried figuring out what is going on but have come up with nothing, can anyone help shed some light on what might be wrong or going on? Any help is appreciated thanks in advance!!

O and a little extra - i noticed that one time when the fan was running high and the cpu was very hot in the processes it said my norton antivirus autoprotect was taking up 99% of the cpu work. It was really odd and might have something to do with it?

240Knightrider

Its possible nortons had something to do with it.

I personally dont believe nortons is very good at a residential level and they should stick to enterprise.

It may also be dirty inside, and if possible try to clean it out. Sometimes taking off the bottom compartments will reveal what you need to clean.

Hope this helps

packerjd04
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima S 2.5 Coupe

Thanks ill see if it continues more and might have to just take off norton.

nzmoman
Car: 240sx 2 of em' and always lookin for more

yeah, you may want to do something about that... My fan only comes on when I am pugged in and running a recording software with interfaces plugged in. In that situation, I always unplug my battery and run a cooling tray under it. you can get them for like 20 bucks on ebay and 30 at walmart or an office store.

Ive had my macbook pro for over 2 years with no virus protection. Normally as long as you update your computer on a regular basis you will be fine....its not like the PC.

also, if you must have it, you should check and see if you can run Norton from an external hard drive.

BippuBoss

alrite let me just say that if you're running norton on a MAC then there's something wrong. apple products in general do NOT need any antivirus as virus's are somehow not made for Mac's.

I had a problem a couple months after I got a macbook about two years ago. Took it to an Apple store and they said it was the Heatsink or something like that. If you have the protection plan, I would take it in. Everything will be replaced for free, or it should be.

Before you take it in, maybe there is something blocking the fan. I've noticed that if you're doing a lot of work that requires a lot of power your fan will start to run at higher rpm's. You might just need to add some RAM

Return to “Computers / Electronics”