M56S cool air coming from center speaker on dash.

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
jd3rdcoast
Car: 2013 M56S, K&N AF, Stillen Catback, Sport Pkg, Tech Pkg.

I have never noticed this before but had couple of condensation spots on windshield above center of dashboard. Put my hand over center speaker and can feel cool air blowing up on either side of center speaker. I’m wondering if this is normal or do I have a leak in the AC duct system behind dash?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Kill the fan and see if it stops. If it does then you have a leaky duct, if it doesn't (or if it only flows with the car moving) then there's a deteriorated gasket or other leak at the firewall. The ducts are plastic and usually have no seals, they're simply arranged with the inside sleeve of the joint upstream to minimize leakage. That means closing the louvers on the vents will often cause what seems like leakage in odd places, but it's actually just blowback from the closed airway. That will also happen if something makes it into the ductwork to cause an obstruction.

jd3rdcoast

Thanks for the direction VStar660cl. Well it seems definitely a leak in the ductwork. Adjusting fan speed or closing vent has direct effect on level of air coming up through the center dash speaker. All vents are normally opened here in Houston area. I had noticed The AC didn’t seem to be cooling as well recently. Now I know why. Not an AC problem but losing airflow and temp via the leak. Now to figure out how to access and reconnect or seal the interconnects. Something I can tackle or is best left to an expert? I’ve never pulled this one apart and would hate to not be able to put back together with same precision. Any assembly exploded view docs or instructions I can review anywhere?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Dunno, I'm a Nissan guy and my specific M knowledge is limited. One of the M mavens will have to help you with that. Vents can usually be popped out with little or no tools, but there are some very major exceptions.

EdBwoy

I suspect everything is working just as designed. Some Nissans and Infinitis have the upper vent feature. You can disable it in the climate settings.

If you'd like to see a demo of it in the M, check out this video - https://youtu.be/GLeuXMGixso
While the 2011+ specific section starts past halfway into the video, you might find it beneficial to watch the whole thing.

Something I'd like to say, is that I've heard of some people complain of the 2 condensation spots. I played around in the system to try and replicate it, and I found that:
1. They should disappear/dissipate rather quickly once you start the car and have the system running on AUTO
2. They are more likely to appear if the driver tweaks the AC system during normal operation (fiddling with the fan speed, mode or recirculation buttons). The system works best when left in AUTO.

jd3rdcoast

Thanks for the video link, that explains what I asked about. All is working as designed. I just didn’t recall seeing the condensation spots before and I believe for the longest time the Upper Vent setting was turned off. Also, the car was idling and not moving on a hot and humid day which allowed the windshield too cool at those spots and the condensation to form. Once start moving they rapidly evaporate. So I learned something new after 6yrs of owning my M56S. Still in love with this car! Thanks again.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”