M56 IPDM Module

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
DougC
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

In Jan 2014 my park lights started misbehaving : they would stay on (I've never actually turned them on !) after I shut off the car....sometimes. People started hunting down the Infinti owner (me) in stores to say "hey you left your park lights on!". Embarrassing. Two dealers tried their best to fix it...could not, but today after $400, they said IPDM module is shot so they had to hot wire all the lights to be always on because no replacement IPDM module is available (for $600). When they gave me back the car the windows have lost their auto-up function, the high beams require the light switch set to the last position (dim ?) to be accessible...and you have to turn off the lights when you turn off the car or they just stay on forever. It's a mess. Any help out there ? Doug

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Wow. Never heard of the IPDM go bad. Although, I do know that a LOT of the electronics run through it.

To fix the windows, roll them down and then hold the up switch after they have closed for 5 seconds (or is it 10?) to relearn the auto-up function. The other stuff, I'm not so sure of.

That's rough.

DougC

Thanks very much for the tip on the windows ! I'll go try that right now. The thing that I intentionally did not mention in my first post was that ALSO in Jan., 2014 I imported the car to Canada and had DRL's installed...the dealer had a heck of a time doing it and I am worried that their efforts with the DRL's may have caused the subsequent park light problems....perhaps by damaging the IPDM somehow ? Well, in any case, thanks for your help...hopefully I can fix the mess because I really enjoy my M56.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

If the dealer might have started the issue, I'd continue to badger them and possibly talk to Infiniti Canada...something fishy going on.

DougC

Thanks again. I followed your instructions on re-setting the window auto-up function and it worked perfectly...many thanks ! The lights will be a tough one to resolve obviously. Both service managers that I've dealt with here in Canada genuinely wanted to help....but then the problems did not get fixed, and I was paying the $$$ for attempts.(over $1,000 so far) I'm sure they're frustrated but I'm running out of willingness to pay several hundred more to make the lights (DRL's included) function the way they're supposed to. I'll try Halifax Infiniti one last time, and if I cannot get it resolved for under a couple of hundred dollars, I'll just learn to live with the lights always on. I do appreciate your support IlyaKol. Doug

Ilya

So I take it the car is no longer under warranty then? I'd still inquire from Infiniti Canada on what can be done since the issues started happening after their dealership(s) worked on the car. Was the car under warranty when the work was done? This may help.

I remember on my 2007, I brought attention to a suspension issue I was having while under warranty. Then my warranty expired a week later and because I had brought it to someones attention when it was still under warranty, the service manager honored the resolution (new steering rack).

DougC

The warranty issue will be an interesting discussion. They have all been good about it but I bought my 2011 M56 in Tucson in Dec., 2010. Imported it to Canada Jan 2014. It only has 40,000 miles on it but the original bumper to bumper warranty has expired. Halifax Infiniti has not been charging me for the last couple of visits to try to fix the park light problem, but of course Vancouver Infiniti did charge me, feeling no warranty obligation. I think Halifax Infiniti is getting fed up with the problem, and now that I've had another dealer in there modifying their modification I suspect they'll want me to pay for them to try again to get things right. I'll see. The car is such a gem that I want to keep it for at least a few more years. Thanks for your support, Doug

Ilya

Halifax sounds like a good place. I'd focus on using them for sure going forward, wish all dealers were like that. But you may be right, since you went to another dealer they may start charging.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Just curious, why did you intentionally not disclose that you had taken the car to a dealer to get DRL's installed?

Sounds like you have a busted BCM. If you have to turn off your lights, ie, they are no longer automatically shutting off, it's the BCM.

The biggest shocker to me is that an Infiniti dealership did this install. That just doesn't sound right.

DougC

Well, as to why I did not disclose the DRL connection: I had always made that correlation before when talking to dealers..or anyone, looking for advice. I was convinced (as was Halifax Infiniti) that the problem had come from the DRL installation. After this last unsuccessful attempt to fix the problem, and this dealer's suggestion that the problem may well NOT be the DRL's, I thought I'd try not to prejudice anyone on the forum by my perhaps incorrect assumption that the problem had been caused by the DRL installation. So the non-disclosure was to encourage a fresh approach to the problem. That kind of "hidden agenda" always bothers me which I why I quickly updated the previous respondent thta there was a possible DRL module connection.

If you would, what is a BCM ? Thanks, Doug

Ilya

DougC wrote:Well, as to why I did not disclose the DRL connection: I had always made that correlation before when talking to dealers..or anyone, looking for advice. I was convinced (as was Halifax Infiniti) that the problem had come from the DRL installation. After this last unsuccessful attempt to fix the problem, and this dealer's suggestion that the problem may well NOT be the DRL's, I thought I'd try not to prejudice anyone on the forum by my perhaps incorrect assumption that the problem had been caused by the DRL installation. So the non-disclosure was to encourage a fresh approach to the problem. That kind of "hidden agenda" always bothers me which I why I quickly updated the previous respondent thta there was a possible DRL module connection.

BCM is the body control module. Much like the IPDM, it also controls a TON of electronics in the car. I didn't even think to mention that, but Reggie is right...BCM could definitely be doing this. The dealership should be able to diagnose both via the Consult scanners they have on hand...surprised they hadn't.

BCM controls a lot of interior functions (such as air, etc.) but also some exterior functions. I do know that our exterior lighting (front) system does go through the IPDM (at least it did on the Y50) because many members (including one tech who is a member on that sub-forum) said that's what would need to be altered in order to have 'independent fog lights'.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

DougC wrote:Well, as to why I did not disclose the DRL connection: I had always made that correlation before when talking to dealers..or anyone, looking for advice. I was convinced (as was Halifax Infiniti) that the problem had come from the DRL installation. After this last unsuccessful attempt to fix the problem, and this dealer's suggestion that the problem may well NOT be the DRL's, I thought I'd try not to prejudice anyone on the forum by my perhaps incorrect assumption that the problem had been caused by the DRL installation. So the non-disclosure was to encourage a fresh approach to the problem. That kind of "hidden agenda" always bothers me which I why I quickly updated the previous respondent thta there was a possible DRL module connection.

When you intentionally withhold information it appears as though you're hiding something.

Sounds like you had someone attempt to install the DRL's and they shorted out the BCM. Good luck with the fix, the BCM is fairly expensive.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”