M56 Interior & Exterior LED Lighting Overhaul

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
rsilva800
Car: 94 Z32, 11 M37S , 01 Pathfinder

jcsenterprises wrote:Glad this thread got bumped up, it reminded me I wanted to tackle this. I am going to start with the 194's for the interior and license plate. I just can't decide if I go cheap (you can get 20 for as low as $4 from China) or spend a little more on the ledlight.com version that Rob posted above. I figure I'm going to get the ledlight.com for the license plate anyway, maybe just spend a few more dollars and get them for everything?
I was on the same boat as you, but then I realized. Do I really want to do this twice? And that's when I pull the trigger and went with the better option. No problems what so ever on the interior or exterior LED lights.

Rob

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Definitely go with a better bulb for the LP lights. As far as the others its up to you. I have not had the cheap bulbs fail anywhere else other than the LP position, but they are cheap so who knows.

There are only 10 194's used so you can probably afford to upgrade them as you see fit.

- 2 Front parking - they deserve better than the cheap 194 and will run often so I would use a better bulb there. I changed mine pretty quick after the initial upgrade so they had not failed yet but probably would have.
- 2 Front marker - they are also on a lot but somehow have lasted.
- 2 Footwell - have lasted just fine
- 2 Dome - have lasted just fine
- 2 License Plate - cheap bulbs failed often for me. Get better quality ones.

jcsenterprises
Car: 2011 M37x

I went ahead and ordered from ledlight.com. I got 13 as I'll do 194's for the puddle lights and trunk similar to Rob's write-up. Plus 13 put me just over $50 for free shipping!

Thanks guys

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

Debonair wrote:
Mjkkb2 wrote:Just ordered a set directly from JDM ASTAR website for $25.49 shipped.

Thanks
Nice! Let us know how they work out.
These turned out to be a disappointment. They wouldn't light up in the reverse light housing at all. I turned them, tried different things but no luck. I tried to test fit in the cabin overhead and only one worked, the other didn't. They are on the way back to the retailer. Back to the search....

Debonair

Mjkkb2 wrote:These turned out to be a disappointment. They wouldn't light up in the reverse light housing at all. I turned them, tried different things but no luck. I tried to test fit in the cabin overhead and only one worked, the other didn't. They are on the way back to the retailer. Back to the search....
Well that's a super bummer. I just got a new set from them for my DRL project and they are VERY bright.

rsilva800

Mjkkb2 wrote:
These turned out to be a disappointment. They wouldn't light up in the reverse light housing at all. I turned them, tried different things but no luck. I tried to test fit in the cabin overhead and only one worked, the other didn't. They are on the way back to the retailer. Back to the search....
Sorry to hear about that Mj

I am using these http://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-White-CREE- ... SwFAZTrmGB on my reverse light, have not had a single issue with them and they are extremely bright, I can actually see on my rear camera what is behind me at night. Below is a picture of how they look (you can also see how bright they would look on the backup camera)

Hope this helps.

Rob

infinitedrift
Car: 99' Cherokee
11' M56s
03' M45
03' Maxima(SOLD)
08' M35
91' 240(SOLD)
07' Crown Vic (wink)

@rsilva800, are you using load resistors? The trunk shouldn't need it right?

Debonair

infinitedrift wrote:@rsilva800, are you using load resistors? The trunk shouldn't need it right?
Only the turn signals (front and rear) need them.

Mjkkb2

rsilva800 wrote:
Mjkkb2 wrote:
Sorry to hear about that Mj

I am using these http://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-White-CREE- ... SwFAZTrmGB on my reverse light, have not had a single issue with them and they are extremely bright, I can actually see on my rear camera what is behind me at night. Below is a picture of how they look (you can also see how bright they would look on the backup camera)

Hope this helps.

Rob
These look very similar to the ones I have now. I was very happy with them initially. When I stand behind the car they look very bright, but the picture on the screen isn't satisfactory. Maybe my problem is the camera/screen and not the backup lights getting dimmer over time :confused:
It's hard to tell from your pic but your screen in the background looks much brighter than what I am used to.

rsilva800

infinitedrift wrote:@rsilva800, are you using load resistors? The trunk shouldn't need it right?
No resistors required for these.

Rob

rsilva800

Mjkkb2 wrote:
These look very similar to the ones I have now. I was very happy with them initially. When I stand behind the car they look very bright, but the picture on the screen isn't satisfactory. Maybe my problem is the camera/screen and not the backup lights getting dimmer over time :confused:
It's hard to tell from your pic but your screen in the background looks much brighter than what I am used to.
Mj, you are right the two bulbs look very similar, I had not noticed that before. These bulbs are a combination of 10 small high power LED's, maybe some of the LED's in your bulbs are not coming on or are faulty. I would test the bulbs to find out if all the LED chips are turning on.

Rob

lKoRTy

Does anyone have pics of upgraded led front parking lights?

Mjkkb2

rsilva800 wrote:
Mjkkb2 wrote:
Mj, you are right the two bulbs look very similar, I had not noticed that before. These bulbs are a combination of 10 small high power LED's, maybe some of the LED's in your bulbs are not coming on or are faulty. I would test the bulbs to find out if all the LED chips are turning on.

Rob
Could be. I will check it out when I have some time.

Debonair

lKoRTy wrote:Does anyone have pics of upgraded led front parking lights?
I'll have some as soon as this much needed rain here in Cali lets up. I converted them to DRL's but they are still running a 194 bulb.

Debonair

lKoRTy wrote:Does anyone have pics of upgraded led front parking lights?
Here are a couple with JDM Astar bulbs. Amazon- Direct

dagreat1
Car: 2012 M37

Man this all looks great, I have no choice but to do this upgrade... Has anyone also tried these? I'm kinda tempted to jump on them: http://www.amazon.com/Kaizen-Courtesy-W ... finiti+m37

Debonair

dagreat1 wrote:Man this all looks great, I have no choice but to do this upgrade... Has anyone also tried these? I'm kinda tempted to jump on them: http://www.amazon.com/Kaizen-Courtesy-W ... finiti+m37
Those look neat but are a little too gimmicky for me. But make your car your own, go for it!

Mjkkb2

I have these ghost/curtesy lights in mine. It is a bit overkill, but my kids love it and think it's so cool!

I didn't buy this particular model, but got one advertised with cree diods (supposedly). One issue I keep on having is; the light is so strong/bright it fades out the infiniti sign film and it has to be replaced constantly to keep the picture crisp. They usually come with an extra set of film. but I would ask the seller for more just to have some on hand.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

InfinitiAce wrote:Hi, I need a little help. I replaced all of the interior lights on my 2012 M37. I have one problem and two questions:

1. Problem: when I went to pull out the rear reading light, the entire mount came out. The mount is held in by the cover but now I can't snap it back in because the mount just pushes back. It just floats in the door. How to I fix this? Is there an easy way to fix the door?
So I pulled up Debonair's thread and handy chart to start the LED swap on my car, and as I was scouting out all the different bulbs and how they pop out, I did the same thing that InfinitiAce did too. I thought I was royally screwed...have to pull out the headliner, etc. [turned what should have been a 30 second job into a 3 hour ordeal] but then sat a moment and did some critical thinking:

If you take some strong twine, you can thread several pieces into the bulb base plastic part, pull on the strings to give you enough counter traction so that you can snap the whole mounting cover (I took off the middle rectangular frosted light cover) back on, then you can pull out the strings out, once the cover is back on. Then I snapped the middle frosted light cover piece back on - (this is the only piece you have to remove to get to the bulb). BAM! problem solved.

Craig

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

I am using these bulbs in my reverse lights:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/close ... tOba9CSClc

Just realized though, that they come with NO warranty since they're on closeout.

I am using the JDM Astar parking light bulbs and turn signal bulbs that Debonair gave the link/pics for which seem to be of very good quality,

Driver side: JDM Astar bulb, Passenger side: OEM

and they also make a similar reverse light bulb with a 1 year warranty. I'll go with these if the ones from TRS fail:

http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extreme ... +800+lumen

800 lumens is waaay bright - I can almost light up my entire garage when backing up!

Craig

MY2J
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37

hey fellas... anyone use these whole LED covers for the license plate?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-18-LED-Li ... iJ&vxp=mtr

Debonair

MY2J wrote:hey fellas... anyone use these whole LED covers for the license plate?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-18-LED-Li ... iJ&vxp=mtr
InfinitieDrift has them. They always looked good but also like they would be TOO bright for my taste. Hopefully he can chime in about they have performed.
infinitedrift wrote:Just picked these up. Heard good things about them.

MY2J

Debonair thank you for being everywhere! You've been a great help with my "new" car. I plan on pulling the trigger and buying those LED license covers to try them out.
I have yet another question concerning the LED bulbs for the fogs. I've been reading and notice you yourself haven't really made your mind up with your fogs either. I'm not a big fan of HID's and been having a hard time finding LED's in 3000K. I ran across these Philips and wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on them?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-X-treme ... Cd&vxp=mtr

Debonair

MY2J wrote:Debonair thank you for being everywhere! You've been a great help with my "new" car. I plan on pulling the trigger and buying those LED license covers to try them out.
I have yet another question concerning the LED bulbs for the fogs. I've been reading and notice you yourself haven't really made your mind up with your fogs either. I'm not a big fan of HID's and been having a hard time finding LED's in 3000K. I ran across these Philips and wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on them?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-X-treme ... Cd&vxp=mtr
Happy to help. :dblthumb: Let us know how those LP LED panels work for you.

I like HID but the 3000K bulbs just do not have the yellow pop I want them to. My previous car has yellow glass inserts built into the foglight housing. With the 3K HID bulbs the color was great. No so much on this car.

The Philips look legit. I googled them for images and the output and color looks good. See HERE. But at $150 i'll let you try them out and get back to us with results. :biggrin:

I am actually running a set of LED fogs right now and am happy with their output which is great, BUT one of the colored glass inserts was not a color match to the other so I am waiting for the replacement glass to arrive.

I was not planning on posting pics until I got the color corrected but here they are. The correct glass on the left, weak-sauce on the right.

MY2J

Thank you for sharing. That's the exact hue of yellow I'm going after as well. I assume your previous car was a Lexus GS? The "glass" comment is the reason I ask lol... my old IS300 had yellow projector fogs and I loved them.

So did you say you're putting new glass inserts on the fogs themselves just as your old car had? Sounds badass if you are.

Anyways... I'm trigger happy right now with this car still being 2 weeks old... so I think I'll buy both products and post my results here. I'm currently lurking around the wheel threads too lol... Kind of excited to know these cars can run low offsets :woot:

Debonair

MY2J wrote:Thank you for sharing. That's the exact hue of yellow I'm going after as well. I assume your previous car was a Lexus GS? The "glass" comment is the reason I ask lol... my old IS300 had yellow projector fogs and I loved them.

So did you say you're putting new glass inserts on the fogs themselves just as your old car had? Sounds badass if you are.

Anyways... I'm trigger happy right now with this car still being 2 weeks old... so I think I'll buy both products and post my results here. I'm currently lurking around the wheel threads too lol... Kind of excited to know these cars can run low offsets :woot:
Yep, GS430.

Not putting inserts in these fog lights, although I did spend some time looking for some that would work. Most of these high powered LED bulbs come in white and have a removable glass sleeve that you install over them to adjust the color.

MY2J

little update... didn't buy those license plate panels cause I found a set of LED's that worked out pretty good

and as far as the Philips LEDs go, they came out amazing! they fit with no issues with the windshield washer reservoir in the way (that was a PITA by the way lol).

Debonair

Those fogs look great! :dblthumb:

IEMaestro
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 S

I agree! Where did you purchase those Philips fog lights MY2J?

MY2J

eBay... seller: karpartstore (99.4% positive feedback)

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”