M56 HICAS Delete

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Pakitullanc
Car: 2012 Infiniti M56 S

Has anyone done that?
Info for doing it. Ik the GTR has a delete kit.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Not sure I've heard of it being done on this platform.

Pakitullanc

Ilya wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:09 am
Not sure I've heard of it being done on this platform.
I have not either. Figured maybe some used a gtr kit and fabricated it to work or made one themselves. Someone on Facebook sent me a picture supposedly of a M37s with delete HICAS kit. He could not provide any further info. Could be BS.

Pakitullanc

Here is the pic supposedly
Attachments
FB_IMG_1631151810896.jpg

EdBwoy

Pakitullanc wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:30 pm
That underside is nothing like an M37.

I don't think anyone has made one, or at least not publicly shared that fact...yet!

Not to pick on you, but 4WAS is a little more advanced than most people seem to acknowledge - a lot of people use HICAS as a synonym for all of Nissan's 4-wheel-steering systems and assume that all you need is a bar in the back and it's game over. 4WAS has a front steering component as well and that is both on the front steering rack as well as the steering column of the sport models, along with its related computers.

I love 4WAS, and I think a properly diagnosed issue is still cheaper to fix than it would cost to completely eliminate it. However, if enough people push for it, and are willing to throw the funds behind it, then a comprehensive solution can be developed.
My dream of a proper "delete kit" would be one that leaves people with a properly functional car with no lights on in the gauge cluster.

Pakitullanc

EdBwoy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:32 am
Pakitullanc wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:30 pm
That underside is nothing like an M37.

I don't think anyone has made one, or at least not publicly shared that fact...yet!

Not to pick on you, but 4WAS is a little more advanced than most people seem to acknowledge - a lot of people use HICAS as a synonym for all of Nissan's 4-wheel-steering systems and assume that all you need is a bar in the back and it's game over. 4WAS has a front steering component as well and that is both on the front steering rack as well as the steering column of the sport models, along with its related computers.

I love 4WAS, and I think a properly diagnosed issue is still cheaper to fix than it would cost to completely eliminate it. However, if enough people push for it, and are willing to throw the funds behind it, then a comprehensive solution can be developed.
My dream of a proper "delete kit" would be one that leaves people with a properly functional car with no lights on in the gauge cluster.
EdBwoy, you are totally fine. I totally agree with you about it's advancement. In my unfortunate circumstances I am trying to turn the instrument cluster lights off with little to no prior knowledge. Learning on the job, lol. I also cannot find any electrical mechanic in my area who dealt with something similar. Thus some hurdles/obstacles that are infringing my ability to resolve this issue.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

EdBwoy wrote:
The only way that could work without also disabling the front is if a device were to read the control signals to the rear actuator and motor and then output a pair of analog voltages corresponding to the two poles of the angle-sensor, "fooling" the 4WAS Main Control Unit into thinking the rear wheels were responding. Even if someone did that, it's likely it would seriously affect the ability of the VDC system to counteract a spin and keep you out of the weeds. The VDC in 4WAS vehicles almost certainly relies on rear countersteer in addition to individual brake actuations like a car with standard steering. So I think it's probable it would react incorrectly in a snap-spin situation and probably get you killed.

The only other option would be to obtain a new front rack from a non-4WAS vehicle, lock up the rear assembly, and reprogram the ABS, ECM and TCM with non-4WAS firmware versions.

Pakitullanc

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:12 am
EdBwoy wrote:
The only way that could work without also disabling the front is if a device were to read the control signals to the rear actuator and motor and then output a pair of analog voltages corresponding to the two poles of the angle-sensor, "fooling" the 4WAS Main Control Unit into thinking the rear wheels were responding. Even if someone did that, it's likely it would seriously affect the ability of the VDC system to counteract a spin and keep you out of the weeds. The VDC in 4WAS vehicles almost certainly relies on rear countersteer in addition to individual brake actuations like a car with standard steering. So I think it's probable it would react incorrectly in a snap-spin situation and probably get you killed.

The only other option would be to obtain a new front rack from a non-4WAS vehicle, lock up the rear assembly, and reprogram the ABS, ECM and TCM with non-4WAS firmware versions.

Wow, thanks for the info

EdBwoy

Pakitullanc wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:54 am
EdBwoy, you are totally fine. I totally agree with you about it's advancement. In my unfortunate circumstances I am trying to turn the instrument cluster lights off with little to no prior knowledge. Learning on the job, lol. I also cannot find any electrical mechanic in my area who dealt with something similar. Thus some hurdles/obstacles that are infringing my ability to resolve this issue.
I understand your position.
I think I might have caught an update by you on Facebook in the past 2 days or so, about having purchased a replacement part, or somehow further steps towards solving your issue, right?

If I'm mistaking you for someone else, please pardon me, but there are a few 4WAS-related discussions with a lot of varied inputs that it sometimes gets very noisy and hard to follow who's who, what are they doing, and why exactly they are doing what.

I would like to take a stab at your issues, so if you don't mind, shoot me an email to get me caught up.
[email protected]

EdBwoy

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:12 am
EdBwoy wrote:
The only way that could work without also disabling the front is if a device were to... "fool" the 4WAS Main Control Unit into thinking the rear wheels were responding...

Yeah, my idea of an ideal solution was more in line with your second option - to find a way to turn off the feature entirely, so that the car doesn't even look for the 4WAS system. This might entail a software modification, leaving the hardware intact, or it might require replacement of some mechanical components as well. I cannot say with certainty what works until I get to play with Consult or a suitable substitute.

Otherwise slapping a bar in the back and taking the chance of having your car trip out or burn something else out and turn the gauge cluster into a Christmas tree doesn't sound like a fun time to me.

Thankfully the feature has a fail-safe mode, so my understanding is that it should stop the party before any serious calamity.

See, I have been reading between the lines and I've come to realize that most people have no issue with 4WAS-proper. A vast majority of us don't even understand the function of the system, let alone know when it is active or when it is dormant.
What people don't like is lights on in the gauge cluster.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

EdBwoy wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:16 am
Otherwise slapping a bar in the back and taking the chance of having your car trip out or burn something else out and turn the gauge cluster into a Christmas tree doesn't sound like a fun time to me.

Thankfully the feature has a fail-safe mode, so my understanding is that it should stop the party before any serious calamity.

See, I have been reading between the lines and I've come to realize that most people have no issue with 4WAS-proper. A vast majority of us don't even understand the function of the system, let alone know when it is active or when it is dormant.
What people don't like is lights on in the gauge cluster.
Yah, the problem with "fooling" any system to get rid of a warning light is that it won't go failsafe. It will still think it's working properly, and may mis-perform instead of non-performing. Obviously that could be dangerous.

It should be possible to find out in advance which systems will need non-4WAS firmware installed. The CAN xmit/receive chart in the LAN section of the ESM will tell which systems have direct contact with the 4WAS Main Controller. Whichever systems hear from the 4WAS will need new firmware. Since the cluster and BCM can't be reprogrammed, if either one of those is on the contact list then it would need to be replaced with a non-4WAS equivalent. However, they probably aren't on the list. My guess is, at most it would be the ECM, TCM, ABS, and ADAS.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”