M45 Y34 vs 2006 and beyond

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
GJEMD

It seems from this blog that Y34 M45 owners are more satisfied with their cars than owners of 2006-2008 M35/45. It may just be more of the later so greater opportunity for complaints. I own a 2004 M45 since new, now 60,000 miles. This car has been bullet proof.

paperfootball

GJEMD wrote:It seems from this blog that Y34 M45 owners are more satisfied with their cars than owners of 2006-2008 M35/45. It may just be more of the later so greater opportunity for complaints. I own a 2004 M45 since new, now 60,000 miles. This car has been bullet proof.
I have a 2003 and must say that it *such* a huge PITA having a car that is so "rare." Everythig on this turd costs more than it should, is harder to source, and half the time cannot be found at all. It would be nice to availability of parts of the new M's.

I love my car ad sought after its unique styling, but the new M compared to the Y34 is simply apples to oranges IMO. Although styling is subjective, it would be hard for any Y34 owner to argue that our interior fit/finish is close to that of the new M. Let's face it, the dash of our Y34's looks like a minivan.

Having driven both and loving my Y34 for so many reasons, the newer M is simply the better mousetrap.

CakeDaddy
Car: Y34,Pathfinder SE, Mercedes CLK500AMG Sport Pkg & A Fleet of Premium Avis Rental Cars

paperfootball wrote:
, the newer M is simply the better mousetrap.
please explain the above expression
GJEMD wrote:It seems from this blog that Y34 M45 owners are more satisfied with their cars than owners of 2006-2008 M35/45. It may just be more of the later so greater opportunity for complaints. I own a 2004 M45 since new, now 60,000 miles. This car has been bullet proof.
Hmmmm. I just dont think there are enough y34 owners out there to even complain, so therefore the complaint numbers are low. Just my take on it.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Agreed. Only a bit over 8000 Y34's were sold here in the US. So, the complaint percentage is a lot lower, I suspect. There have been some pretty painful specific problems too: fuel gauge (I have now encountered this), oil consumption (no problems for me here)!

Regardless of which, I love my 2003 M45. it is unique, powerful, semi-luxurious and sporty.

Z

GJEMD

much of the Y34 is interchangeable with the G50/Q45, brakes, drive train, interior. I just believe the Y34 benefits from simplicity and 20 yrs of manufacturing evolution of the platform in Japan. My 2004 was one of the last built 8/2004 production ceased 10/2004. Something to be said for the fulfillment of an engineering concept.

paperfootball

CakeDaddy wrote:
please explain the above expression
Drive a 06+, then drive ours, it's simply a more refined vehicle in every way.

I love my 03, but it is certainly not teh nicest vehicle evaaar!one11!

Mark Linkous
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x

Hello,I could not disagree more with Paperfootball's assertions. I honestly think the build quality and such is far superior on the Y34. Much of this having to do with the Y34 being designed prior to Renault taking over Nissan. Don't get me wrong, the 2006+ is much better dynamically. Far more up to date chassis and platform. In fact, when I purchased my 2004 M in 2006, I could have gotten a brand new G for the exact same price out the door. It was the build quality that made me go with the M even though the G handled far better.

I knew going in that there were downsides to purchasing a low production vehicle. Obviously, finding junkyard parts will be a great deal more difficult owing to how few were made. However, the Y34 was built when Nissan was still Nissan and not under control of Le' Cost Cutter. Again, the FM platform is killer and now used practically across the board with Infiniti.Cheers,ML
Modified by Mark Linkous at 10:21 AM 5/8/2009

CakeDaddy
Car: Y34,Pathfinder SE, Mercedes CLK500AMG Sport Pkg & A Fleet of Premium Avis Rental Cars

paperfootball wrote:
Let's face it, the dash of our Y34's looks like a minivan.
I had to go look at my car to see what you were talking about and honestly…. I do not see it. You are on your own with the mini van dash comment. Sorry!
paperfootball wrote:
Drive a 06+, then drive ours, it's simply a more refined vehicle in every way.

I love my 03, but it is certainly not teh nicest vehicle evaaar!one11!
Ok…. I’ve driven the newer M45 on 3 different occasions and I must say that its…………. Well… pretty different in a good way from our Y34’s, but I think the Y34 is better looking. I seriousl doubt if I'll ever cross over to that car. BIG MAXIMA is what I always say when I see it. No offense. The new M’s and G’s all look the same coming at me in the streets and when you have the 06-current M guys & gals look at your Y34 and stare and smile…. That does it for me.

RAGTPZ
Car: 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo Convertible, 2010 Infiniti FX50S

A buddy of mine has an 06 and I have a Y34. Although I like his interior better, I like everything else on mine better. Just has that "big ride" feel where the new M doesn't. Other than the fuel gauge problem my car has been perfect, only needing a brake job and I am now at 70,000 miles.

YAY Y34!

Mark Linkous

Hello,The description of the dashboard looking like a minivan was taken from a Car & Driver review for the Y34. It was in regards to the location of the VIS (vehicle information screen). It was not stated in regards to the actual dashboard however. Weak description that was taken from a review...

paperfootball

Yeah, I remember reading the review after buying my car and thinking, "yep, it does look like a minivan dash." I don't see what the big deal is, I look at the gauge cluster in our cars and it looks so plain--just like a minivan.

Cake, you are dead on with the styling. I would much rather have my car than anything on the road(at this price point anyways), mainly because the styling is so unique. I just think that comparing our cars to the new M is apples to oranges.

Mark Linkous

Hello,Considering both M's share identical drivetrains, it is not as though they have nothing in common. Furthermore, many of the options currently available on the M were also available on the Y34 (Intelligent Cruise Control, Nav, Heated/Cooled Seats, etc...

Again, the FM platform trounces the LFR platform which underpinned the Y34 and F50. Strangely, the slalom tests and skidpad tests are not that far apart. I have driven the current M many times and quite like it. The interior packaging is much, much better. For as big of a car as the Y34 is, the interior is cozy to put it charitably.Cheers,ML

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

The Y50 front suspension design is more sophisticated than the Y34 MacPherson strut which derives from the FGY33 and is echoed in the F50.

Unfortunately neither has the VLSD featured on the G50 and FGY33.

GJEMD

The cozy interior of the Y34 is why it doesn't look like a BIG MAXIMA. I've only driven the M35 and couldn't get past the tractorish engine compared to the M45. Now thats apples and oranges for sure.

kingpin
Car: 2004 M 45

drove both cars loved the y34 , can;'t seem to get by the front of the 0 6 - looks too close to the g...

something about jumping out of a car with pillar less door frames that's dropped to the ground i am just a big fan !! Y 34 all the way - its a love it or hate it car

GJEMD

If you look at the new Maxima and most passenger cars it appears the current M looks dated now. Its funny how many new cars have Y34 lines. I've had 3 people ask me if my 2004 M45 was a 2009.

Mr. Robato
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45 Black/Black

Which is better is all subjective I think. I like Y34 better than Fuga. I bought a 2003 because I like the style and also it is SOOOO rare. Wish I were able to buy 2004, but did not have enough budget for that.

I have not seen another yet since I purchased it. I remember seeing only 2 of them in the last four months. Fuga is probably more sophisticated and superior car performance-wise, but it does not matter to me. Fuga seems to be bloated G35/37 (aka skyline) and the upcoming one is more so. You find ones quite a bit.

Oh, and one more thing. There is a difference of the heritage. Gloria had been a prestigious car and a Toyot Crown fighter (together with its brother, Cedric) for almost 50 years in Japan until it got discontinued. As people may know, there are lots of Nissan cars that have never been brought to the US market and for whatever reasons, Nissan decided to bring Gloria to the US market for ONLY 2 years at the end of its life. That is something special to me.
Modified by Mr. Robato at 10:38 AM 8/29/2009

fiveliterbeater
Car: 2006 EVO IX, 2000 Maxima SE,2005 Altima 3.5 SE

CakeDaddy wrote:
I had to go look at my car to see what you were talking about and honestly…. I do not see it. You are on your own with the mini van dash comment. Sorry!The new M’s and G’s all look the same coming at me in the streets and when you have the 06-current M guys & gals look at your Y34 and stare and smile…. That does it for me.
the Y34's gauge cluster DOES look like a minivan; and that comparison made by paperfootball was plagirisim (spelling?) and was written in an old article when the 03-04 M's were being reviewed; another member here on the board actually provided the link as well (wish i'd saved it)i agree on the "M looking like a maxima comment"; i consider our Y50's to be a "refined Maxima" lol...and as far as guys and gals looking at your car, are you sure they're not laughing at you instead of laughing with you?

j/k lol
Modified by fiveliterbeater at 10:55 AM 8/29/2009

fiveliterbeater

Petrol head wrote:something about jumping out of a car with pillar less door frames that's dropped to the ground i am just a big fan !!
i agree with that! i love pillar-less door frames. my old lexus had them. i thought it was sooo cool! wish they would've carried that over on the Y50

Y34GLORIA
Car: 2003 INFINITI M45 Y34 CEDRIC/GLORIA

Mr. Robato wrote:Which is better is all subjective I think. I like Y34 better than Fuga. I bought a 2003 because I like the style and also it is SOOOO rare. Wish I were able to buy 2004, but did not have enough budget for that.

I have not seen another yet since I purchased it. I remember seeing only 2 of them in the last four months. Fuga is probably more sophisticated and superior car performance-wise, but it does not matter to me. Fuga seems to be bloated G35/37 (aka skyline) and the upcoming one is more so. You find ones quite a bit.

Oh, and one more thing. There is a difference of the heritage. Gloria had been a prestigious car and a Toyot Crown fighter (together with its brother, Cedric) for almost 50 years in Japan until it got discontinued. As people may know, there are lots of Nissan cars that have never been brought to the US market and for whatever reasons, Nissan decided to bring Gloria to the US market for ONLY 2 years at the end of its life. That is something special to me.

Modified by Mr. Robato at 10:38 AM 8/29/2009
Well said brother, I was gonna say the same I guess u just beat me. lol BTW GLORIA was derived from PRICE motor compay when NISSAN merge with them back in the 60's alone with SKYLINE line. The Y34 CEDRIC/GLORIA came out in 1999 in Japan. Sadly stupid RENAUL FRENCH deicde to end the GLORIA line in 2004 due to 5 years re-design times. That is the reason why Y34 stop in 2004 other than poor sale in the US. I would just keep CEDRIC/GLORIA name cause it sounds sexyer.

Y34GLORIA

fiveliterbeater wrote:
the Y34's gauge cluster DOES look like a minivan; and that comparison made by paperfootball was plagirisim (spelling?) and was written in an old article when the 03-04 M's were being reviewed; another member here on the board actually provided the link as well (wish i'd saved it)i agree on the "M looking like a maxima comment"; i consider our Y50's to be a "refined Maxima" lol...and as far as guys and gals looking at your car, are you sure they're not laughing at you instead of laughing with you?

j/k lol

I had to admit I like Y50 interiors better than Y34. lol BTW Y34 in Japan dose not have the same interiors as the US spec one and so dose the engine. CEDRIC/GLORIA line were never ever issue and V8 engine. It was always 6 cylender TURBO engine so that really made the 03-04 M45 unigue.

fiveliterbeater

GJEMD wrote: I own a 2004 M45 since new, now 60,000 miles. This car has been bullet proof.
how much does it burn inside to spend 50k on a car only to know that 4 years later is only worth about 1/5 of that? my hats off to those who have cash to burn.
Modified by fiveliterbeater at 1:06 PM 8/29/2009

fiveliterbeater

Mark Linkous wrote:Much of this having to do with the Y34 being designed prior to Renault taking over Nissan. However, the Y34 was built when Nissan was still Nissan and not under control of Le' Cost Cutter. Again, the FM platform is killer and now used practically across the board with InfinitiModified by Mark Linkous at 10:21 AM 5/8/2009
actually bud, I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but the above comment is very wrong; Renault started investing in Nissan in March of 99 and had purchased a 36% steak in the company; that piece increased to 38% in Nov 01 and again higher to 44% in mar of 02. so to recap, unfortunately ur M is subject to "french" styling and build quality as well. sorry : (
Modified by fiveliterbeater at 3:24 PM 8/30/2009

rsg123
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

fiveliterbeater wrote:
actually bud, I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but the above comment is very wrong; Renault started investing in Nissan in March of 99 and had purchased a 36% steak in the company; that piece increased to 38% in Nov 01 and again higher to 44% in mar of 02. so to recap, unfortunately ur M is subject to "french" styling and build quality as well. sorry : (

Modified by fiveliterbeater at 11:45 AM 8/30/2009
oh, snap!Seriously though, it's a very subjective matter in which car you think looks better. I never understood the appeal of the 03-04's looks. Apparently the sales numbers indicate that the vast majority of the U.S. population agreed with me. The 06-10 is just a more modern design which I think is pretty distinct from the G. The 2011 M is another story.

fiveliterbeater

rsg123 wrote:
oh, snap!Seriously though, it's a very subjective matter in which car you think looks better. I never understood the appeal of the 03-04's looks. Apparently the sales numbers indicate that the vast majority of the U.S. population agreed with me. The 06-10 is just a more modern design which I think is pretty distinct from the G. The 2011 M is another story.
to me, it's an ok car; the Y34 reminds me of a crown victoria or gran marquis; but just more refined and a hell of a lot more stylish; Nissan/Infiniti enthusiats (spelling?) I'm certain approve of the new M as sales numbers show it. and it seems as though they will be continuing this platform for awhile as the next generation M is even more of an improvement of the current Y50.

Y34GLORIA

fiveliterbeater wrote:

Modified by fiveliterbeater at 3:24 PM 8/30/2009
Actually not really true there, Y34 chasis is base on the Long sedan chasis design continue from Y33 and in fact still very "Japanese" design. If u WIKI it the PORSCHE actually assist the Y34 CEDRIC/GLORIA design, it was intent for JDM home market only. This chasis were never meant to be an export model so therefore its very Japanese however u want to call it. Keep in mind, the CEDRIC/GLORIA lione never had and V8 engine in it before it was discontinue in 2004 when it was due for redesign. The Gloria line has been around since the 50's. The Franch just tho to cease the production line alone with Cefiro to the new FUGA and TEANA for more cost effective production. Y50 is represent the new NISSAN under franch directions rather the older chasis. The R34 the last great SKYLINE series and Y34 represent the old NISSAN approach to their vehicles. The Y34 basically took and 3 years old chasis put a Q45 engine in it and similar dashboard to creat a new car. Never the less, it did allow Infiniti to expand the use of the 4.5L V8 that had been exclusive to the Q45.

paperfootball

fiveliterbeater wrote:

j/k lol

Think I read it on edmunds, guess I should have quoted my source parenthetically. Either way, I stand by it, every time I get in my car I lol at the dash. I don't know why everyone gets bent out of shape about the Y34. I *love* my Y34, but it's just not in the same league as the new M's. I have no interest in the newer body style as I love the styling of the Y34, but it does have its down falls.....

Can't imaging having purchased this car new.

ken in az
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56
2002 Chevy Silverado
1989 Nissan 300ZX
2008 Ford F250 Diesel/Canam X3 Turbo

Not that I'm a good spellar but dand tis thred shud go downs in histories as the worstest speling evar!

rsg123
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

ken in az wrote:Not that I'm a good spellar but dand tis thred shud go downs in histories as the worstest speling evar!
true lol...even the guy who spelled "parenthetically" correctly misspelled "imagine":
paperfootball wrote:
Think I read it on edmunds, guess I should have quoted my source parenthetically. Either way, I stand by it, every time I get in my car I lol at the dash. I don't know why everyone gets bent out of shape about the Y34. I *love* my Y34, but it's just not in the same league as the new M's. I have no interest in the newer body style as I love the styling of the Y34, but it does have its down falls.....

Can't imaging having purchased this car new.

fiveliterbeater

paperfootball wrote: I don't know why everyone gets bent out of shape about the Y34. I
....i don't know either; some can handle a little humor and others get butt hurt about their ride being offended; personally, i think that any car under 100k has at least one flaw. me personally, i get a little bitter inside when people call my M a Maxima; but it's just a little humor and besides....ther're right!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”