M45 "performance" tires are better than I first thought ...

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Hi, all.

On my 2003 M45, I have Bridgestone Turanza ER33 "performance tires" as delivered from Infiniti in a 234/45-18, WR rated. My initial impression of this tire was that it was an unmitigated disaster. They were incredibly noisy and very squirelly on curves. And, I was getting lots of black rubber dust on my car sides. I almost couldn't wait to get them worn out and replaced! :mad:

But, after the initial 1/32 - 2/32" of tire wore off (about 1000 miles or so), the tire performance has improved dramatically. There is no more rubber dust, and the grip and noise has improved a lot. Still not as good as other tires I have used, but much quieter and grippier now. I guess that the car sat at the dealer before being sold, and the tire was not exactly helped by this delay!

Now, I rank these tires as "decent", although I have not used them in wet weather yet (my personal concern for tires). After they wear out (which I expect in about 12k miles or so - given the tread wear so far), I will still change them for some other brand/model and size, but I can say that these are not as bad as I first thought! :)

It is really too bad that the Firestone Firehawk SZ50EP's are not made in a 18" size. :(

Z

russg

Keep us (me) posted as to whatever research you come up with for replacement tires. I'm already approaching 5k miles, so it won't be all that long before I have to pull a trigger on some sort of replacement. I don't have any real complaints with the Turanzas, other than their estimated tread life. With a UTOG wear rating of only 140, I don't expect them to last very long. Since replacements are likely to be at least $200+ a copy, I'd like something with better estimated tread life.

szh

Hi, Russ.

I have some info already - will post it soon. Unfortunately, the narrow rim width (7.5") of the OEM wheel is a bit of a limitation. So, the widest tire that can usefully be put on the car is a 245/45-18.

Z

dezm45

Guys, I have the ALL-SEASON tires -- being that I'm in NJ, and I think all the M45's up here in the Northeast came with the ALL-SEASON 'no cost' option ...

Now, I'm leasing the car -- how long should I expect my tires to last ? Think I'll get the full 3 years out of my lease ? I doubt it ...

Also -- when I got my car, they had a "Wheel Protection Package" warranty available. Thing costed like $500-600 ... I told them I didn't want it, initially .. so they offered it to me for cost, at around $295 or something. It was supposed to be for 3 years, but they gave it to me for 4. It covers the Wheels AND the Tires. I didn't get it at first, but went back and purchased it. I figured it was worth it, especially after they told me about a lady who has an FX45 and drove in a nasty pothole and ruined her right front wheel .. The WHEEL was like $900 to replace and the TIRE (FX's have 20" tires) was like $400 to replace ... she had the warranty and didn't have to pay a DIME. This alone made the $300 for 4 years worth it to me ! Unfortunately, and obviously, it doesn't cover treadlife !! Just curious though, did anyone else get this warranty ??

szh

I did not know about any wheel protection package ...

Z

szh

dezm45 wrote:Guys, I have the ALL-SEASON tires -- being that I'm in NJ, and I think all the M45's up here in the Northeast came with the ALL-SEASON 'no cost' option ...
Interesting! I do not know what the option commonly used here on the West Coast was. I suspect that the decision to ship the Michelin option in the Northeast is a good one on Infiniti's part - the Bridgestones that are on my car will be pretty bad in snow, I think.Quote » Now, I'm leasing the car -- how long should I expect my tires to last ? Think I'll get the full 3 years out of my lease ? I doubt it ...[/quote] I would be very surprised if you get more than 20-25k miles maximum out of them safely - maybe less. So if you drive more than that in the next three years, you will probably need new tires for sure. New tires look like they will run between $700 to $1100 for four (from Tire Rack, of course!) depending on the model you get. The Infiniti stock ones, Michelins and Bridgestones at 235/45-18, are more expensive than they should be - there are lower-cost alternatives in 245/45-18 that appear to be better. I will post info soon!

The Bridgestones I have look like they will go down to 2/32" in about 12k miles or so. But that is fine be me! I plan to replace them with better tires then. :)

Z

Jason B

All the M's and Q's I've seen have the pilots in the 18" flavor:

SIDVICIOUS
Car: GOLF, NEW SON,

WELL THE WIFE BORROWED MY M45 LAST NIGHT AND BLEW OUT A TIRE. COMPLETELY SHREDED THE SIDEWALL. THE STOCK TIRES ARE THE MICHELIN XSE P235/45R18 94V. I LEASE THE CAR AND HAVE ONLY ABOUT ONE YEAR LEFT BEFORE I TURN IT IN(BOOHOO) THE FULL SIZE SPARE WAS GREAT TO HAVE. THERE IS ABOUT 3/8THS INCH TREAD LEFT ON THE REST OF THE TIRES SO I THINK I CAN MAKE IT TO LEASE EAND OF 36,000 MILES, I HOPE. I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE WITH THE ORIGINAL MICHELINS AND HAVE FOUND THEM AT DISCOUNTTIREDIRECT.COM AND THEY(PILOT HX MXM4) I THINK THEY ARE THE SAME?

GO FOR $211.00 WITH FREE UPS SHIPPING. WHERE IS THIS COMPANY "TIRE RACK" THAT YOU MENTION. I AM OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR I REALLY DON'T KNOW TIRES THAT WELL

SIDVICIOUS

I FOUND THE TIRERACK WEB SITE AND THEY WANT $209.00 PLUS $12.00 FREIGHT AND THEY HAVE A SPOT FOR "OPTIONAL REFERAL CODE" DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE AND DOES IT GET ME A DISCOUNT?

szh

Hi, Sidvicious.

Have not seen you here in a while! Love to see you back ... even if the circumstances are not the best. Hope your wife was not going fast - could have been dangerous!

The Pilot HX MXM4 is the stock 2003 M45 tire, yes. Since you are not planning to keep the car past the 36k mark, it is simplest to just replace that one tire.

Since my Bridgestone Turanza ER33 tires wore sooner than yours (although they lasted about 22k miles!), I am now running Goodyear Eagle F1 Gs-D3 in a 245/45-18 100W size on the car.

Yes, Tire Rack is the best source for the Michelin tire. I do not think that we have any optional referral code to get any discounts, unfortunately! At least, not that I know of! If someone does, then they will chime in! I will also ask the other Moderators.

In regard to Tire Rack - do use the link here at NICO to "go to" their web site. This benefits us as the source of the sale - common Internet practice!

What do you plan to get after this lease is up? Have you checked out the new M45? Some other car? Inquiring minds want to know! Don't be a stranger to this forum, guy.

Z

SIDVICIOUS

WELL I ORDERED IT FROM TIRE RACK SINCE THEY ARE OUT OF DELAWARE AND I MIGHT GET IT IN A DAY OR TWO. THE DEALER WANTED $253.00 PLUS EXTRAS FOR MOUNTING ETC. RIGHT NOW I'M LOOKING AROUND FOR A USED 2003 G35 FOR THE WIFE TO REPLACE HER 97 MAXIMA...I WENT TO THE GRAND OPENING AT RAQY CATENA INFINITY HERE IN JERSEY AND I WASN'T THRILLED WITH THE CHANGES. IT LOOKS TO CLOSE TO THE G35 AND LIKE ALOT OF OTHER MFG'S OUT THERE. I HAVE A YEAR LEFT AND MAYBE I'LL LOOK TO BUY A USED 2004 M45 ...WE'LL SEE

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Referral code will save you maybe a bit over $10. Don't worry about it.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”