M45 2006 Camshaft Sensor P0340

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
bag26
Car: 2006 M45 Fully loaded

I"ve searched endlessly (atleast I think so) for how to locate the stupid Bank 1 camshaft sensor. All I keep getting is posters stating how easy it was. The FSM isn't very helpful because it only shows the diagram for a V6 which seems to be what the majority of people reference. I've tried to use the FSM and previous FSM years as a guide, but nothing really points out the Camshaft Sensor without removing the entire engine. I'm very technical (can't break an engine down to pistons, but savvy enough to follow good instructions or atleast pictures and diagrams). Even if it's pointing me to another thread. I'm afraid I may have found the location of the camshaft sensor, but it's buried into the manifold beneath tightly bound houses and what looks like air intake pipes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EdBwoy

Check out this link (hope the image translates well enough) https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... MwhJKBwwHA
There are 3 sensors/plugs on the left/driver side head - phase sensor at the top, the variable solenoid somewhere in the middle and the p0340 one you're looking for. It is the lower and outer most one and usually has a green insert.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Possible locations per FSM:

-----------------

Remove camshaft position sensor (PHASE) (bank 1 and bank
2) from cylinder head back side.

-----------------

If necessary, remove intake valve timing control position sensor
(right and left bank) and camshaft position sensor (PHASE) from
intake valve timing control cover and front cover.

So you may have already found it since you see a lot of intake hoses. However, on the V6's, it's at the bottom of the motor and usually removed by removing two 10mm bolts while laying under the car. This was the case on the M35 I believe and definitely other VQ motors from Nissan (such as my previous Maxima's).

EDIT: Google images yielded these results...not sure what car they are for exactly but came back for M45 so look in these spots too. If one of them is correct, come back here and update your thread for the benefit of the community.

EdBwoy

I found a picture from my archives that might build on Ilya's last 2 pics. The v8 has its cam sensor at the front of the engine. Although I correctly identified the one you are looking for, I erroneously mixed some sensor names in my first post. Below you will find the correct terminology from the FSM.

Here's a picture from my 06 engine replacement. I hope it helps illustrate where things are.
1. Intake valve timing control position sensor
2. Intake valve timing control solenoid valve
3. Camshaft position sensor (PHASE)

These 2 are from my 2003 M45, but the timing cover layout is the same for the 2 years. Note the green I had mentioned.

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

EdBwoy is right...#3 in the diagram. The new part number for the sensor is 23731-4M50B. The error code is P340 all right. Though it's called camshaft position sensor you'll buy it as the crankshaft position sensor (Nissan's way of playing games). While at it, you might as well change also the "real" crankshaft sensor somewhere further underneath the camshaft sensor. It's the same part number...with error code P0335. I've changed the two in my car as well as their two counterparts upstream identified as #1 in EdBwoy diagram. Those come as Valve Timing Control Sensors with error codes P1140 (B1) and P1145 (B2). Part number for both is 23731-2Y52A. Actually, the code I had was P1145 with my car at 95k miles. I decided to swap out all the four (2 pairs) since they all somewhat work together.

BlackCat81
Car: 2006 M35x
2003 Lexus GX470

Whenever you get a camshaft position sensor code, ALWAYS check to make sure it's not low on oil before wasting money on parts.

bag26
Car: 2006 M45 Fully loaded

Alright to follow up for the community. #3 in EdBwoy's picture is the exact location of the sensor and what I changed. It was relatively simple to get to once you remove the air intake covers(?) that sit right on top. I haven't had any P0340 symptoms since I replaced (Friday morning EST) the CamShaft sensor, although the check engine light is still on. The other errors are the next thing I'll address (Exhaust errors) by searching through the rest of the forums. Thanks for the picks, the time, and the help. Still baffled as to why the FSM doesn't call out an alternate location for the CamShaft Position Sensor in my model's rev. It only references the V6 throughout. Either way, many thanks again.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”