M37x wheel alignment results

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Geom37x
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x

Enthusiast please chime in how are my result what do I need to make better , my car feels like it wandering all over the road. First time post I added photo of my results.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

It could be any number of things - you need to go to a local shop to have them look at your suspension components. It's not something we can diagnose on the internet. Likely your car needs new sway bar links/tie rods/ball joints, etc.

Geom37x
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x

Thanks for the reply, but that was the first thing i did, local shop stated suspension is in good shape. All four struts and links had been changed. I was trying to figure out would a little more toe in would give me more stability on the road.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Are you perhaps referring to what is known as 'tramlining'? If so, Infiniti M's (both Y34 and Y50s) are known for it - it can get better or worse depending on tires, tire pressure, etc. but never quite goes away. I have Pilot Sport 4s on my M56x right now and that thing is constantly a fight cause the tires are grippy and looking for every little crack in the road.

conaigh
Car: Current - 18 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa, Stone - Essential, Sport, Proactive Pack
Sold - 14 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD - Premium, Sport Pack

Ilya wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:46 pm
Are you perhaps referring to what is known as 'tramlining'? If so, Infiniti M's (both Y34 and Y50s) are known for it - it can get better or worse depending on tires, tire pressure, etc. but never quite goes away. I have Pilot Sport 4s on my M56x right now and that thing is constantly a fight cause the tires are grippy and looking for every little crack in the road.
Holy s***, this is the term I was looking for.

I was going to post on this a while ago asking if that's what OP was experiencing... I was experiencing tramlining to the point where I wouldn't drive by the jersey wall on some roads in my area that I knew I'd get jerked around on. I had to get my spiral cable replaced and tramlining went away after. It was to the point I was going to take the spacers off to see if that helped. I need to get the spiral cable replaced again, noise is back, but have been putting it off cause with my luck, tramlining would come back.

Ilya

conaigh wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:49 am
Ilya wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:46 pm
Holy s***, this is the term I was looking for.

I was going to post on this a while ago asking if that's what OP was experiencing... I was experiencing tramlining to the point where I wouldn't drive by the jersey wall on some roads in my area that I knew I'd get jerked around on. I had to get my spiral cable replaced and tramlining went away after. It was to the point I was going to take the spacers off to see if that helped. I need to get the spiral cable replaced again, noise is back, but have been putting it off cause with my luck, tramlining would come back.
What is this spiral cable you refer too?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Ilya wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:07 pm
What is this spiral cable you refer too?
The spiral cable (also called clockspring) is in the steering wheel, but on most of the older stuff it comes with the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS). It shouldn't affect the suspension per se, but on anything with active steering or 4WAS, a sloppy or malfunctioning SAS could cause some twitchy steering behavior. That's the only reason I can think of why a clockspring would fix a steering stability issue.

conaigh
Car: Current - 18 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa, Stone - Essential, Sport, Proactive Pack
Sold - 14 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD - Premium, Sport Pack

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am
The spiral cable (also called clockspring) is in the steering wheel, but on most of the older stuff it comes with the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS). It shouldn't affect the suspension per se, but on anything with active steering or 4WAS, a sloppy or malfunctioning SAS could cause some twitchy steering behavior. That's the only reason I can think of why a clockspring would fix a steering stability issue.
Yea, I was a little confused after the tech was done and I drove it. Literally drove in to work fighting it and drove home in a "different" car. The only thing I could thing of at the time would be it effecting speed sensitive steering since no 4WAS / DAS (thank god) but regardless, haven't felt it since.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

By the way, there's a simple alignment fix for tramlining in cars which have either extreme negative camber from the factory for handling or low profile tires with very inflexible sidewalls. Some extra toe-out on the front wheels will make it much more resistant to tramming, and some extra toe-in on the rear wheels will compensate for any loose steering caused by the extra front toe-out and keep the car going straight on the highway.
:)

Ilya

Man, that's great info. Learned something new today and I've owned M's for nearly 15 years.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”