M37X 2011 Center Console Rattle Anyone else?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
darkNimbus
Car: 2011 M37X | Moonlight White | Premium Pkg

After driving over rough roads for 15 minutes, I noticed driving over small pot holes or cracks causes the center console to rattle. I noticed its coming from the shifter console and center navigation knob. I want to take apart the console and add felt tape or something but not sure how to do this. Anyone else experience this? How did you resolve it?

wideopn11
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x Moonlight White

Takeda CAI
Stillen exhaust w/ MeganRacing Y-pipe
SCALE coilovers 16K/10K F/R
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Check the service manual for instructions to take apart the center console. I've not had the need to attempt this yet.

http://www.nicoclub.com/infiniti-service-manuals

darkNimbus

wideopn11 wrote:Check the service manual for instructions to take apart the center console. I've not had the need to attempt this yet.

http://www.nicoclub.com/infiniti-service-manuals
Very handy service manual. Thank you! I took apart the center console using the service manual and applied felt tape on shifter assembly. No more rattles. :)

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

Glad you were able to fix it, never had that problem with my M

securityguy
Car: 2012 M37x

darkNimbus - I have a similar "rattle" when I go over rough pavement...sounds like a strong, fast vibration. Not sure if this is a similar sound you heard but kind of like going over the multiple speed bumps before paying a toll where it makes several quick vibratory noises. Sounds to me like it is also coming from around the shifter area. Where exactly did you apply the tape and what made you go to that location? The instructions for disassembly appear a bit intimidating but willing to try as I think I'll do a better job than the dealer with far less "damage" even though its under warranty. I know its coming from the center console just not exactly sure where. Any help is greatly appreciated.

darkNimbus

securityguy wrote:darkNimbus - I have a similar "rattle" when I go over rough pavement...sounds like a strong, fast vibration. Not sure if this is a similar sound you heard but kind of like going over the multiple speed bumps before paying a toll where it makes several quick vibratory noises. Sounds to me like it is also coming from around the shifter area. Where exactly did you apply the tape and what made you go to that location? The instructions for disassembly appear a bit intimidating but willing to try as I think I'll do a better job than the dealer with far less "damage" even though its under warranty. I know its coming from the center console just not exactly sure where. Any help is greatly appreciated.
SecurityGuy - before I took anything apart I made sure exactly where the noise was coming from. My noise was coming from the shifter assembly where the silver bezel meets the center console. This is where I placed the felt tape around the silver bezel.

First try using a piece of paper and placing it between the silver bezel and center console (I used a paper business card). Then drive around and try to replicate the noise. If you don't hear the noise anymore then you have found the rattle. Repeat this process until you find it.

Taking apart the center console is not too difficult, just very time consuming process. Follow the service manual instructions and read it through carefully before attempting. The very first piece will be the hardest to take out because it can be easily damaged (be careful) and don't rush.

Let me know if you need more information.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”