M35x Backup camera issues - Over exposure in the daylight

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
SergioGeorgini
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35x

I recently got a 2008 M35x and it is having a strange issue with the backup camera. In the daylight, when I put the car in reverse, the backup camera video looks overexposed/completely white screen. I can still see the parking assist red/yellow/green lines, but nothing but whiteness out of the camera. If I get another person to wave their hand directly in front the camera, I can see their hand with white distortion. Any further away than that and it's a total white out again.

At night, the camera appears to work properly. No issues thus far.

The previous owner mentioned that there may be a diagnostic setting somewhere that could fix this but he didn't know how to get there. Is this true? Does anyone out there know what could be wrong with my camera and how it could be repaired?

Thank you in advance.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

See if the dimming for the backlights works properly in light/dark. If the AV Unit thinks it's night all the time, the CCD will be set too sensitive to function in daylight.

SergioGeorgini

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:39 am
See if the dimming for the backlights works properly in light/dark. If the AV Unit thinks it's night all the time, the CCD will be set too sensitive to function in daylight.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure what the dimming of the backlights look like. Do you mean the reverse lights get dimmer in the day/brighter at night? I think you are onto something with the AV unit though...

I was in the car testing things out, in the daytime sunlight....Once in reverse, and I press the 'settings' button, at the top of the display screen while in reverse, it says 'Night mode'. Same thing at night time - it says 'day mode'. This must be culprit but I couldn't find a way change modes. How do I change day to night mode and vise versa?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you look all the way on the right of the Navi controls, there will be a button with sun-and-moon symbols on it. That's the day/night mode toggle.

SergioGeorgini

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:07 pm
If you look all the way on the right of the Navi controls, there will be a button with sun-and-moon symbols on it. That's the day/night mode toggle.
I tried that but it only dims the screen of the AV unit. It does not effect the camera's functioning. It's bizarre because, like I said, at night the camera works perfectly.

Do you (or anyone else) know of any reputable Infiniti parts people or stores (wreck yards even) that might have a camera for less than dealership prices? Are backup cameras from 06 and 07 M35's the same part number as 08 M35x?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

SergioGeorgini wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:01 pm
Do you (or anyone else) know of any reputable Infiniti parts people or stores (wreck yards even) that might have a camera for less than dealership prices? Are backup cameras from 06 and 07 M35's the same part number as 08 M35x?
Plug your VIN into InfinitiPartsDeal and look up the correct part number for your OE camera. Then clear your vehicle from IPD and search that p/n with no vehicle specified. At the bottom of the part page it will tell you what other MY's the part crosses to. Doing the same thing at NissanPartsDeal will tell you if it crosses to any Nissans. Using the Nissan/Infiniti p/n is also much more effective for googling (and much more likely to get you the right part) than googling by MMY.

mrvoiceguy
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 Journey

SergioGeorgini wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:01 pm
VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:07 pm
I tried that but it only dims the screen of the AV unit. It does not effect the camera's functioning. It's bizarre because, like I said, at night the camera works perfectly.

SergioGeorgini,

I have the same issue with my 2009 EX35. The two side cameras and the backup camera look overexposed, but the front camera is good. Did replacing the camera fix the issue, or were you able to find another solution?

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”