M35H MPG + AC system is always on?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
sadboy
Car: 2012 M35H

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2012 M35H - have not really enjoyed the car thus far due to a plethora of issues discussed in a previous thread including the dreaded heater core.

To top everything off - I am not getting any stellar gas mileage.

Living in Canada, our winters are generally pretty cold and the car has new Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's on it.

I get around 19-21 MPG driving 80% city which is nothing to brag about.

Also I have noticed that when using the window defroster/cycling between climate zones the AC is always on which makes me think it even further compromises fuel economy.

I usually end up getting ~400KM or less per tank and I can only fill up 50-55L when the car apparently has a 68L tank.

Any thoughts?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

That does seem a bit low. I don't have an H so can't really help there though...

That being said these cars are not great on MPG...mine is below the EPA rating and has always been below.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

A similar topic to this recently came up in the Rogue Forum: Rogue SL 2018 - AC question

The AC removes excess humidity and is what helps defog your windows faster then just cranking up the heat. If you have auto climate control, the AC will kick in whenever the system thinks it's required, to remove moisture and keep the cabin at your desired temperature. Unfortunately it does affect gas mileage.

belleth

400km sounds quite a bit low...

I usually fill up around 14-15 gallons (53-57L), have gone past 16 at times. Keep in mind that 68L is probably the entire fuel system, not just the tank. When i'm past 15 gallons, that usually means the computer is already blinking (not showing remaining range) and the gas needle is below "E" :) Although it does seem there is some left to go on.

400km though... that is low... that's about 250 miles... while I normally get 350+ easy.

Here is a link to my 130 fillups since I bought the car:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/infiniti/m35h ... luk/443578

by the book the car should be 29MPG on average...my average is around 25MPG. have i gotten 29? yeah, a couple of times but not regularly. If you look at history of my MPGs, you will see that winter does suffer, however, things I did notice.
- lead foot = kills MPGs, and this car is easy to drive a bit harder. It is a heavy vehicle, and city acceleration kills it.
- sport mode = kills MPGs, but it is soooooo much more fun :)
- I did get good results with ECO mode, but only used it on maybe 10 fill ups and it just gets a bit annoying sometimes, but makes a difference.
- This car shines in nice weather on a highway going the speed limit, easily 30+mpgs, just can't go 65 on highways in Jersey... you will get run over.
- AIR FILTERS!!! I actually did notice drops in MPGs as my filters age... check both of yours.

- this last one... no personal experience... but... tires... lower resistance tires vs more aggressive, they could have more resistance, thus higher gas mileage... this is strictly based on TireRack tests though, and not really on our specific vehicle or any specific tire just a general comment, but could easily account for 1 MPG

On a plus side... I did drive m37 for a bit... I was averaging 17-18, if not for M35h, I'd be looking at M56... and I can pretty much estimate that I would be at 16-17 (based on my driving). To me hybrid made sense.

Reference: 29MPG = 8.11 Liters per 100km
25 mpg = 9.41 Liters per 100km

sadboy

Rogue One wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:27 pm
A similar topic to this recently came up in the Rogue Forum: Rogue SL 2018 - AC question

The AC removes excess humidity and is what helps defog your windows faster then just cranking up the heat. If you have auto climate control, the AC will kick in whenever the system thinks it's required, to remove moisture and keep the cabin at your desired temperature. Unfortunately it does affect gas mileage.
Thanks for the reference, the thing that annoys me is how its never really disclosed anywhere on my dash so that I know that the AC is running. I have to go in to the climate control settings to fully know.

sadboy

belleth wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:21 pm
400km sounds quite a bit low...

I usually fill up around 14-15 gallons (53-57L), have gone past 16 at times. Keep in mind that 68L is probably the entire fuel system, not just the tank. When i'm past 15 gallons, that usually means the computer is already blinking (not showing remaining range) and the gas needle is below "E" :) Although it does seem there is some left to go on.

400km though... that is low... that's about 250 miles... while I normally get 350+ easy.

Here is a link to my 130 fillups since I bought the car:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/infiniti/m35h ... luk/443578

by the book the car should be 29MPG on average...my average is around 25MPG. have i gotten 29? yeah, a couple of times but not regularly. If you look at history of my MPGs, you will see that winter does suffer, however, things I did notice.
- lead foot = kills MPGs, and this car is easy to drive a bit harder. It is a heavy vehicle, and city acceleration kills it.
- sport mode = kills MPGs, but it is soooooo much more fun :)
- I did get good results with ECO mode, but only used it on maybe 10 fill ups and it just gets a bit annoying sometimes, but makes a difference.
- This car shines in nice weather on a highway going the speed limit, easily 30+mpgs, just can't go 65 on highways in Jersey... you will get run over.
- AIR FILTERS!!! I actually did notice drops in MPGs as my filters age... check both of yours.

- this last one... no personal experience... but... tires... lower resistance tires vs more aggressive, they could have more resistance, thus higher gas mileage... this is strictly based on TireRack tests though, and not really on our specific vehicle or any specific tire just a general comment, but could easily account for 1 MPG

On a plus side... I did drive m37 for a bit... I was averaging 17-18, if not for M35h, I'd be looking at M56... and I can pretty much estimate that I would be at 16-17 (based on my driving). To me hybrid made sense.

Reference: 29MPG = 8.11 Liters per 100km
25 mpg = 9.41 Liters per 100km

Thanks for the link to your fuel ups - I have always had bad luck gas mileage wise. Even any Honda 4 cylinders I owned would max get me maybe 400-550KM of driving on a full tank. I think its a combination of cold weather, city driving and stop and go traffic.

The filters were changed when the car was bought.

I use eco mode right now but have disabled the eco-pedal as it was dangerous during left hand turns and made the car awfully frustrating to drive.

I filled up 57L yesterday and had only driven the car 360KM's during that time. I think the AC being on, really cold temperatures and other factors are influencing it. Other then that, I cannot possibly see why I would be getting such poor mileage.

Living in Canada has its definite downsides vehicle wise :(

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Seems a bit low to me too. But when Infiniti introduced the hybrid, they emphasized they were adding hp in an economical way. They came very close to admitting they were not going after significantly high mpg and the focus was on hp instead.

Davealan
Car: 2012 M Hybrid Black Obsidian & graphite w/ Deluxe Touring package

Hey there as a fellow M35H owner and a Canadian, I too feel your pain about a crap heater core though I don't have to deal with the Canadian winters anymore!

As for milage when I lived in the flat lands of Hampton Roads (outside of Norfolk, VA) I regularly reached 32 mpg with a mix of residential and highway driving, now living in hilly Nashville and I get 27 mpg.

See my other posts for my winter climate management methods. I am now finding the AC to intermittently go out, I checked and the AC is at correct pressure so it must be the compressor. It is one thing to put on layers in the winter but no feasible to remove them in the summer :-(

I won't put anymore $$$ into this money pit and it is the last Infiniti I will ever buy!

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”