M35 valve cover

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
cfrankling
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

Hi there

I have an 06 M35 with 160k that needs the valve cover gasket. I took it to my local dealership to get an estimate and they told me that the valve cover would need to be replaced, the cover alone is almost $300. Is the valve cover replacement really necessary?

What are your thoughts?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Was it cracked? Or did they just say as part of the work it needs to be replaced as well? If it's not cracked, and you replace the gasket, I see no reason to replace the cover...that seems odd. Might be trying to pull one over on you but lets see what the rest of the community who has done this work says...

cfrankling

No cracks, they say that with 160k, the cover may be brittle and break when tightening the bolts. I agree with you, they might be trying to pull one on me.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

I wouldnt worry about cracking the cover itself, that seems like it would be hard to do unless you went a good bit over the torque specification. The valve cover does have gaskets built-in for the spark plugs though, and if any of those are leaking you must replace the whole cover. You can tell if they are leaking by oil getting into the spark plug tube.

Last year at some point another member asked about valve covers and I remember a few links in that thread for getting a set of replacement covers and gaskets for around $300 or so. You should look for that if you need to replace the covers at all because then you get everything for the price they want to charge you just for 1 cover.

cfrankling

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:13 am
I wouldnt worry about cracking the cover itself, that seems like it would be hard to do unless you went a good bit over the torque specification. The valve cover does have gaskets built-in for the spark plugs though, and if any of those are leaking you must replace the whole cover. You can tell if they are leaking by oil getting into the spark plug tube.

Last year at some point another member asked about valve covers and I remember a few links in that thread for getting a set of replacement covers and gaskets for around $300 or so. You should look for that if you need to replace the covers at all because then you get everything for the price they want to charge you just for 1 cover.
Good tips, thank for the advice, will look into your suggestion.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”