M35-Steering Wheel Lock- No Start

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
idwoodhull
Car: 2007 M35 Sport

Common problem I read with Nissan is the steering wheel lock causing people to be stranded. Some solutions were to tap on the SWL assembly to get the car to start or just to replace it. Problem is those youtube videos and SWL part is for Nissans and does NOT fit Infiniti M35.

I bought plastic dash removal tools to prepare for this task but now I'm not sure (A) how to remove the dash to get to the steering wheel lock assembly. Altima seemed easy on youtube but not sure if Infiniti is easy too? (B) What that SWL part looks like now since it is not the same part that an Altima uses. Google shows nothing when searching for M35.

How much would this be at a dealer/shop? Can I take it to a shop and not Infiniti since I don't belong to a dealership regardless (bought from Carmax). Its a 2007 M35 and no warranty obviously.

My issue is that my car wont turn on. Radio works, lights work, dash lights works, brake lights light up, steering wheel in lock position, key fob works fine with unlocking/locking vehicle, keyfob inserted in Dash makes no change when trying to start. It like I am trying to start my car without my key fob. The yellow key light is on my cluster gauge which is an indication from what I have researched of a SWL issue.

Please help me with any advice that you have

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Well that's nuts. First I'm hearing off such an issue and I've been on the M forums since 2010.

Removing the dash might be covered in the FSM under the interior sections.

idwoodhull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy077eLJfXk

Here is a video of what I am talking about. They had recalls on this SWL issue on certain years. Pretty Big Problem

idwoodhull

Here is another video showing what exactly you have to tap on to get your car to start. This guy had a g35 but from my research it doesnt fit m35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zywVhHJWXgo

Six_Legs
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport
1995 Nissan 240SX SE 5spd

Try using the SHIFT LOCK RELEASE near the shifter.
Remove the cover, insert the key from the fob into the hole, and with your foot on the break, put the car in neutral and then try to start it.

idwoodhull

Guys, Here is the national news coverage of this issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOTh3PqYh20

idwoodhull

UPDATE: I went out there and removed the lower instrument panel beneath the steering wheel. I located the GOLD SWL assembly and tried the trick by tapping on it to start my car. After about 10 minutes of trying that it eventually started. I tried to find a Steering Wheel Lock (SWL) or Electronic Steering Wheel Lock (ESWL) fuse to pull so it doesn't give me issue any more but could not find the fuse in my car. It is not in my fuse boxes located in my engine bay by battery or beneath the steering wheel. I'm wondering if there is even a fuse for it on my car?

That kinda screw me because every time i turn it off, it wont start again. I got it to start a second time after about 25 minutes tapping and trying it. So it is not easy. I will attach pics of the SWL that I believe I may have to replace. I called Infiniti and they said they never even heard of this problem which i find hard to believe. After talking to the parts man he also said that SWL (gold part) would cost $1800 to buy not including labor. WTF?! I snipped at him a bit about that BS.

Anyone have any updates or links where i can buy this part. There is a bar code on the gold SWL and that number is not a part number as the Infiniti rep told me so. He emailed me this pdf form which seems to be part number 48700 but I cant find it anywhere online.

please see all pics and pdf attached.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Your photos aren't working...

BlackCat81
Car: 2006 M35x
2003 Lexus GX470

I've never seen a column lock go bad in my 4+ years as an Infiniti tech. Now NATS and antenna issues are a different story.

Ilya

BlackCat81 wrote:I've never seen a column lock go bad in my 4+ years as an Infiniti tech. Now NATS and antenna issues are a different story.
Yep, I had a NATS failure on my 99 Maxima, now that you mention that term.

Shong1121
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35

I am having the same problem right now and it is 2018 I have a 07 M35 and I could not find the part anywhere I was able to get it started only for it to not start again luckily I had it at home and it has been sitting for the last 2 months. I found the part on Ebay but now I am hearing that I will have to take the car to the dealership because it still will have to be reprogrammed. I called Infiniti and they told me parts and labor would be 1785. I do not know how much they will charge just to reprogram. I guess I will have to call. I messaged a mechanic online and he told me that it would not have to be reprogrammed does anyone know if this is true or not?

Ilya

Welcome to the forum Shong. Hopefully the OP gets a notification of this thread and maybe updates it what ended up happening in 2016. Hate when threads are left hanging :(

MightyT
Car: 2006 M35

Im having this issue right now with my teenage sons 2006 M35. It’s an intermittent problem for us. It’s happened 2 times. The first time it happened I discovered the video that involves tapping the steering lock. I’m 6’4” tall so having my foot on the brakes, pressing the start button while leaning under the steering column to tap on the lock required me to be a bit of a contortionist but it started immediately. After driving it a bit it started several times. My wife drove it and while she was out it did it again. I left the little hammer in the car “just in case” so she used it and it started right up.
The part is available “used” and “tested” online for about $70 but then your key needs to be programmed to activate it. I’ve been told that some locksmiths can come out and reprogram the key. While locksmiths aren’t known for being cheap, it would definitely be cheaper than having a dealer repair the car and reprogram the key. I haven’t replaced the part yet as I’m still hoping to find that someone has a fix that’s similar to many other Nissan’s that replace the lock without programming or ever worrying about the issue again...
If anybody knows of a way to do it please sound off! Tapping the locking mechanism wont work forever so I need to actually fix it soon!

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

MightyT wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:42 am
I haven’t replaced the part yet as I’m still hoping to find that someone has a fix that’s similar to many other Nissan’s that replace the lock without programming ...
I'm afraid you have no option than to have it programmed. The setup in the Nissans is quite different. In the Nissans the steering lock is controlled by the BCM. In the our Infiniti it is controlled by the I-Key unit. Nissan actually came up with a module (part# 48708-9N00A) that took the steering lock out of the equation. Not so for Infiniti.

Costee
2012 Nissan Murano SL

MightyT wrote:
I haven’t replaced the part yet as I’m still hoping to find that someone has a fix that’s similar to many other Nissan’s that replace the lock without programming ...
I'm afraid you have no option than to have it programmed. The setup in the Nissans is quite different. In the Nissans the steering lock is controlled by the BCM. In the our Infiniti it is controlled by the I-Key unit. Nissan actually came up with a module (part# 48708-9N00A) that took the steering lock out of the equation. Not so for Infiniti.

Costee
2012 Nissan Murano SL

MightyT wrote:
... I’m still hoping to find that someone has a fix that’s similar to many other Nissan’s that replace the lock without programming or ever worrying about the issue again...

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”