M35 Not Starting (After Rain?)

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
410bacci
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am really hoping someone can help shed some light on my current hair pulling won't start problem. Read on for details.

Car is a 2006 Infiniti M35. Over the past 3-4 month I have had an intermittent problem where the car won't start. It started as a problem where the car would not recognize the key fob and thus, when I would press that start button nothing would happen. This would happen every now and again, then go back to normal. The battery appeared to have a charge as all the peripherals seemed to be working as normal, car just wouldn't start. Took it to the dealer a few times, they had a difficult time locating the problem as the non-starting was intermittent. They did replace some of the wiring that connects to the battery. I've replaced the key fob batteries and the car battery. I was looking into the steering lock immobilizer control box as the problem, but I am not fully convinced this is causing the problem.

It seems that I have narrowed it down to the problem happening after it rains. Yesterday here in Baltimore it rained/snowed all day and night. When I went to start the car in the morning, nothing happened, same problem. Likely, later today it will start up again fine.

Does anyone have an idea as to what this problem could be? It is thoroughly frustrating that I can't figure out what is causing this issue. I am so fed up that I am thinking about just getting rid of the car. I obviously don't want to do this because I like the car and it is functioning perfectly besides this starting issue.

Thanks for any help and insight!

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

You said you've taken it to the dealer a number of times. I presume they would have scanned it for error codes. You mention nothing about that. Surely an error would have been registered with the symptom you describe. I suspect the I-key unit. Perhaps the IPDM too since you're associating the issue with wetness. A scan is needed to run the ECM, I-Key unit, and the IPDM.
If this happens again check the status of your security indicator light with the ignition in the ON position; check the light whether it's off, blinking, or on.

410bacci
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I know, there were no codes being thrown. It is now not recognizing the key again. You can get in the car and the peripherals work but it seems like the car doesn't see the key so its not allowing the car to start, the fob works fine to unlock though. This makes me come back to the steering lock control unit as I've heard this is a common problem with Nissans and Infiniti's around made around this time.

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

410bacci wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:34 am
Thanks for the reply.

As far as I know, there were no codes being thrown. It is now not recognizing the key again. You can get in the car and the peripherals work but it seems like the car doesn't see the key so its not allowing the car to start, the fob works fine to unlock though. This makes me come back to the steering lock control unit as I've heard this is a common problem with Nissans and Infiniti's around made around this time.
The steering lock and I-key are covered by the I-Key unit. I'm sure codes will be registered if you have a tool capable to scan this unit. Also covered by it is the PDU (power distribution unit). Any of these three could cause a no-start issue. The PDU is located behind the instrument cluster, and i'm wondering whether water could find its way to that area through an opening under the windshield.

EdBwoy

Check for water pooling in the wrong places, such as the battery compartment or in the kick panels
https://forums.nicoclub.com/crazy-elect ... l#p6668904

adr4

I had the same issue, this has really nothing to do with the rain IMHO and maybe coincidence. I had to replace the intelligent key system, it was about a 2k fix. I did this about 4 years ago and everything has been fine since. Also I did not have any codes or check engine lights being displayed. Took the dealership over a week to figure it out. Also don't let them charge you for reprogramming the keys... this should be included.

kingcharlesm35X
Car: Infinite M35x

I have issues with my M35x since August, luckily it is not my primary source of transportation. I am having the same "symptoms" as mentioned in this post....along with others. I truly dread taking it to the dealer but eventually I will have to. I purchased my M in June. I have an 06. I have done research on root causes to these problems (which vary drastically). I will try to keep you posted on the outcome.

stevennevets
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X

Any new information on this would be helpful. My 06 M35 shows the "no key" light on the dash and the airbag light is on but its real low sometimes and others its brighter. I think its related to moisture to a degree. I say this because once I took of the cover to the module just to see and it looked dry. so for the hell of it I put some damp rid in front of it and put the cover back on. Three rain storms later it happened again. I put a small fan induced heater in the floor for about an hour and it started. The next thing I did was tape around the windshield with clear tape. The next storm (this one was bad for 30 45 min.) came when the car was parked. It started about 15 min after the storm passed (around 10pm) but the next morning...it happened again. Theres been a couple times where it wouldnt start even trying the heat gun on the module (beside the brake pedal)for 30 min. but then the next morning it starts fine. It started one time with the "no key) light on. Please help...I dont want everyone to start thinking Infiniti sucks. Thank you...Steven.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

You keep mentioning the weather condition when this trouble starts. I suspect moisture is the culprit. Figuring out where and how the moisture is getting in can be long process. However, if you find no damp areas inside the cabin or up under the dash, it could be seal on the firewall that has deteriorated, or maybe in the area of the ground wires and fuses under the hood? I would also check all connections starting at the battery, but by now, you probably did that.

stevennevets

All the carpet is dry. Even under the carpet where the key module is (left drivers side) that being said I pulled out the bag of damp rid I had behind the cover of the fuse box and module and there was what I would say was a good bit of water in the bag for it to have pulled it from that small compartment

stevennevets

After the car sat at work (wouldn't start) over night it started the next morning but not at lunch. When I got off work it started so I drove it 2.5 hrs and parked it. 3 hrs later it happened again but with 2 symptoms I never mentioned before. They are airbag light on and a wining noise from under or inside the plenum or intake. I found the location via stethoscope. I decided to start pulling fuses until I found what the noise was linked to. A fuse in the fuse box by the parking brake that was labeled
IGN It's a 15a listed for ENG CONT INJ. When I pulled the fuse there was a noise from under the hood that sounded like moving a manual trans in/out of gear so I kept moving the fuse in/out trying to locate the noise and on about the 7th or 8th time the wining noise quit, the airbag light went off so I started the car. What's the problem? Is it the Ecu? Wouldn't it throw a code. I did get a code a week ago when this happened. I think it was a u1000 which is a communication error between computer and module.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

The communication code throws a red flag onto the pitch. Best thing is get it to a dealer with one of those scanners that costs a small fortune. They need to actually drive it under live scan to monitor the all of the communications and get a clue as to which module is acting up and why. Cross your fingers and toes that it's just a physical connection issue and not an actual computer failure. If they tell you it's the computer, it might be time to find a day when it starts right up repeatedly and trade it.

stevennevets

FYI I found a company that will repair any computer or module, unit ect...with lifetime warranty and a 1 day turn around. For the m35 it's 275.00 they will diagnose it first and if nothing is wrong they send it back no charge. G7 computers.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”