M35 Not Starting (After Rain?)

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
410bacci
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

M35 Not Starting (After Rain?)

Postby 410bacci » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:18 pm

Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am really hoping someone can help shed some light on my current hair pulling won't start problem. Read on for details.

Car is a 2006 Infiniti M35. Over the past 3-4 month I have had an intermittent problem where the car won't start. It started as a problem where the car would not recognize the key fob and thus, when I would press that start button nothing would happen. This would happen every now and again, then go back to normal. The battery appeared to have a charge as all the peripherals seemed to be working as normal, car just wouldn't start. Took it to the dealer a few times, they had a difficult time locating the problem as the non-starting was intermittent. They did replace some of the wiring that connects to the battery. I've replaced the key fob batteries and the car battery. I was looking into the steering lock immobilizer control box as the problem, but I am not fully convinced this is causing the problem.

It seems that I have narrowed it down to the problem happening after it rains. Yesterday here in Baltimore it rained/snowed all day and night. When I went to start the car in the morning, nothing happened, same problem. Likely, later today it will start up again fine.

Does anyone have an idea as to what this problem could be? It is thoroughly frustrating that I can't figure out what is causing this issue. I am so fed up that I am thinking about just getting rid of the car. I obviously don't want to do this because I like the car and it is functioning perfectly besides this starting issue.

Thanks for any help and insight!

Costee
Car: 2006 M45 Sport
2012 Murano SL

Re: M35 Not Starting (After Rain?)

Postby Costee » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:24 am

You said you've taken it to the dealer a number of times. I presume they would have scanned it for error codes. You mention nothing about that. Surely an error would have been registered with the symptom you describe. I suspect the I-key unit. Perhaps the IPDM too since you're associating the issue with wetness. A scan is needed to run the ECM, I-Key unit, and the IPDM.
If this happens again check the status of your security indicator light with the ignition in the ON position; check the light whether it's off, blinking, or on.

410bacci
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

Postby 410bacci » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I know, there were no codes being thrown. It is now not recognizing the key again. You can get in the car and the peripherals work but it seems like the car doesn't see the key so its not allowing the car to start, the fob works fine to unlock though. This makes me come back to the steering lock control unit as I've heard this is a common problem with Nissans and Infiniti's around made around this time.

Costee
Car: 2006 M45 Sport
2012 Murano SL

Postby Costee » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:11 pm

410bacci wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:34 am
Thanks for the reply.

As far as I know, there were no codes being thrown. It is now not recognizing the key again. You can get in the car and the peripherals work but it seems like the car doesn't see the key so its not allowing the car to start, the fob works fine to unlock though. This makes me come back to the steering lock control unit as I've heard this is a common problem with Nissans and Infiniti's around made around this time.
The steering lock and I-key are covered by the I-Key unit. I'm sure codes will be registered if you have a tool capable to scan this unit. Also covered by it is the PDU (power distribution unit). Any of these three could cause a no-start issue. The PDU is located behind the instrument cluster, and i'm wondering whether water could find its way to that area through an opening under the windshield.

EdBwoy

Postby EdBwoy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:27 am

Check for water pooling in the wrong places, such as the battery compartment or in the kick panels
https://forums.nicoclub.com/crazy-elect ... l#p6668904

adr4

Postby adr4 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:03 pm

I had the same issue, this has really nothing to do with the rain IMHO and maybe coincidence. I had to replace the intelligent key system, it was about a 2k fix. I did this about 4 years ago and everything has been fine since. Also I did not have any codes or check engine lights being displayed. Took the dealership over a week to figure it out. Also don't let them charge you for reprogramming the keys... this should be included.

kingcharlesm35X
Car: Infinite M35x

Postby kingcharlesm35X » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:03 am

I have issues with my M35x since August, luckily it is not my primary source of transportation. I am having the same "symptoms" as mentioned in this post....along with others. I truly dread taking it to the dealer but eventually I will have to. I purchased my M in June. I have an 06. I have done research on root causes to these problems (which vary drastically). I will try to keep you posted on the outcome.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”