M35 ECU Reset

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Can u reset yur ECU with a Consult 3? You can buy one off Fleabay if you've got a spare grand and a half or so laying around. Do any of those aftermarket tuner control modules that let you reset error codes/modify certain settings allow you to see if the ECU has been reset, eg. Uprev Osiris, etc?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I'd think a reset of the ECU is possible with an code reader that is able to reset the DTC test (causing you and your car having to do drive cylces in order to go through all the emissions tests like O2, etc.)

I don't know if there is a way to verify, but I know I can clear my codes and I will have to go through the drive cycles again in order to make the car ready for emissions testing. Maybe it's the same result (ECU reset).

MasterFoo
Car: 2007 M35X Black with Bourbon interior

white_wolf wrote:Weird, I don't think my settings were reset.

I can confirm that my ecu has been reset though. The first couple of drives I stuck the car into auto-manual mode and "taught" my car where I wanted him to shift. After a day or two of auto-manual; I drove the car in normal "D" mode, and it shifted exactly as if I were controlling it... it was an odd combination of cool and freaky.

*edit: side note - I think our cars ecu is capable of being more than a one trick pony. I drove the car like a grandma at times, and other times I drove it "spiritedly" :biggrin: When I punch it now, it shifts right where I taught it to shift... at 6.5k.

It also holds the gear longer in upper rpm's... it shifts up when it figures out that I'm done passing traffic-makers.

My car reminds me of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde... calm and composed sometimes... and completely savage other times.

thanks, I will have to try this.

bejjutsu
Car: M35X ('06)

This may be a little off topic, but I had the MIL (Check Engine Soon) light come on today, and used the ECU to reset it.
I was due for an oil change, and because it didn't go off after driving a few miles after the change, I thought this was the next step.
I know now that there is a separate oil pressure light and that MIL is something different.

Will the MIL light come back on if there truly is a problem? I drove a long distance since resetting the ECU and the MIL hasn't come on at all.

Logan00
Car: 2008 Black M35x

I am hoping that someone can tell me what i am doing wrong. I have followed the above directions but am having no luck, I have done:

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” (NOT start) and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.

The problem is that my check engine light never blinks, I have attempted this at least 5 times, after every attempt once the check engine light doesn't blink, I start the car and start the process over again.

Any ideas? In case it matters, I have a 2008 M35x

Thanks

axefire
Car: 06 M35x
Umbria Grey/Burbon Interior
Navi
Tech

Great post. I bought my car 2nd hand over a year ago, so I decided to give this a try.

I noticed an immediate performance benefit with the transmission even though it's still in "learning" mode. I'm trying to "teach" it by using the auto-manual shifter but unfortunately I can't get past shifting into 3rd then immediately slowing down cause I'm doing 70 in a 45!!! Gotta hit the highway...

I notice about a 2 + increase in MPG right after the reset, much smoother shifts in auto, and overall better tranny behavior. I think this should be mandatory for anyone who 1) bought their car used or 2) has a change in driving habits (I.E. used to drive all back roads to work, changed jobs and now does a lot of highway driving, etc)... Maybe make this a sticky???

axefire
Navi
Tech

Logan00 wrote:I am hoping that someone can tell me what i am doing wrong. I have followed the above directions but am having no luck, I have done:

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” (NOT start) and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.

The problem is that my check engine light never blinks, I have attempted this at least 5 times, after every attempt once the check engine light doesn't blink, I start the car and start the process over again.

Thanks

You're not performing steps 2a and 2b fast enough. I had the same problem first 2 tries, then I just did it real quick and it worked fine...

Logan00

axefire wrote:
Logan00 wrote:I am hoping that someone can tell me what i am doing wrong. I have followed the above directions but am having no luck, I have done:

Thanks

You're not performing steps 2a and 2b fast enough. I had the same problem first 2 tries, then I just did it real quick and it worked fine...
Thanks, I will try it again but doing 2a and 2b faster :)

axefire
Navi
Tech

Yah think of it like tapping your foot but make sure the pedal hits the floor and you release all the way too...

Logan00

That is what I was doing but I guess I wasn't getting it done within 5 secs, I will use my stop watch next time.

FNAWSM
Car: Diamond Graphite '06 M45

So same procedure for m45 too right?

BWheetley
Car: 2012 Infiniti M35h

I tried this procedure on my 2012 M35h Hybrid and it worked just as written. Like everyone else said the timing is critical. It took me a few tries before I got it right.

FH212
Car: 2008 INFINITI M35S

I have a question for the experts, If the transmissions truly learn on these cars, wouldnt they learn the new persons driving habits after driving them for a period of time? Or is this a one time brand new deal?

The Bodyguard
Car: 08 M35 black loaded custom VIPDOUT
08 G35s sold 92k miles
08 M45s-sold 78k miles
07 M35-traded 53k miles
95 J30-sold 155k miles
Location: Cypress, TX (Houston) o.g. from southern cali (North Hollywood)!!

FH212 wrote:I have a question for the experts, If the transmissions truly learn on these cars, wouldnt they learn the new persons driving habits after driving them for a period of time? Or is this a one time brand new deal?
Reset the ECU and it will learn your ways... :bigthumb: you can retrain it with the manual mode first... but, you don't have to!

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

FH212 wrote:I have a question for the experts, If the transmissions truly learn on these cars, wouldnt they learn the new persons driving habits after driving them for a period of time? Or is this a one time brand new deal?
It is constantly learning, resetting the ECU just makes it start from scratch. I think I asked something similar once, and based on the response I get, people at least think it learns faster after a reset. This may be because it does (no more history to average out) or because the reset brings it closer to their style immediately.

Infinity_818
Car: 06 Infiniti M35 Luxury Edition, Journey Package, Tech Package, Black leather, limo tint.

I've been trying it for the past week with no luck as I purchased the car as 2nd owner and wants it to learn my driving habits, why isn't it simple like my previous BMW and mercedes which requires you to hold the gas pedal in for 30 seconds on the ON mode and boom you done.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Just go out and buy a code reader for OBD-II and then return it. lol. I'm pretty sure that clears the ECU.

timothy.kelley86
Car: 2008 M35

By the way the first post in this thread is thr correct method for our cars (Y50)

Wangtang408
Car: 2006 M35

timothy.kelley86 wrote:By the way the first post in this thread is thr correct method for our cars (Y50)
Yep I did it 2 days ago and it works. Make sure for steps 2a and 2b to push down hard and really fast.

Edit - when I say hard I meant all the way down.

drftnassmofo
Car: 84 s12 ca18et-TRADED
85 s12 ca18et-SOLD
92 fastback-SOLD
91 fastback-SOLD
90 coupe KADE swap-SOLD
06 Infiniti M45

Worked on the first try. Thanks a lot!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”