M35 Dipstick

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
BlackBourbon
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x

I am happy to report that after less than 2 months of ownership, I have had very few problems and virtually no complaints. I did have the wierd dirty glass problems that others have noted, but otherwise, everything has been great.

I was wondering, however, if anyone else had a problem replacing their dipstick. It seems the problem for me was so bad, I misplaced it and was leaking oil out the dipstick tube.

Any thoughts/comments? (I know what suggestion you guys would have...)

---------------------------- M35x/Black/Bourbon/Journey/Tech/AeroTo Come: Tint/Chrome Wheels

larry.contrisciano
Car: Infiniti M35 sport 06' and Acura TL 04'

The day I picked up my car at the dealer, I opened the hood to look inside and then I pulled the dip-stick to make sure there was oil in the engine.

My sales rep who was going over all the deatils, along with another Infiniti person, laughed at me and said that they never saw anyone open the hood and especially never saw anyone pull the dip stick....

It took three people ten minutes to get the stick back in (seriously). You need a flashlight and need to be tall (I'm not) to look right over the hole. Even after all that time, I was still not sure we even got it back in the hole.

Obviously, they needed to make the tube entrance about 1.5" higher, so the user has a sight-line. But noooooooo

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I think you should ghetto rig it.....

BlackBourbon

Well, as it turns out, I had left something out when stating that I had no problems with the car... When I first took delivery, I noticed an odd odor coming from the engine compartment (like the smell of burning rubber.) I mentioned this to the sales person at the dealer; and he suggested it was just an odor from the engine break-in period. Now I have owned 2 new cars before this one, and never had that smell before.

More recently, when the engine got up to temperature, I noticed an off white light smoke coming out of the car. In checking, I thought I misplaced the dipstick.

The problem continued after properly replacing it (no small feat, as was mentioned above...) so I took it in today to the service department.

They found that there WAS a leak. The service tech didn't tell the Service Manager where, and are keeping the car over the weekend just to test and be sure that they fixed the leak (the SM said this kind of problem was quite unusual.) So they loaned me a G35x for the weekend. Nice car, but NOT the same .

So, for all those that may smell a burning in their engine compartment (I HOPE I'm the only one; Don't delay in having your car checked out!
Modified by BlackBourbon at 10:32 AM 11/6/2005

SilverShadow

I had the same problem at first, then I remembered what I did on my G35, try rotating the dip stick counter-clockwise (toward the front of the car) then try removing it. It works for me. Do the same thing when replacing it, have the yellow ring face the front of the car and as you insert it rotate it. If you notice where the dip stick goes there is a small brass looking plate the also helps.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

BlackBourbon wrote:They found that there WAS a leak. The service tech didn't tell the Service Manager where, and are keeping the car over the weekend just to test and be sure that they fixed the leak (the SM said this kind of problem was quite unusual.)
Ouch! I would definitely ask about the location of the leak and what they did to fix it!

Z

BlackBourbon

szhosain wrote:
Ouch! I would definitely ask about the location of the leak and what they did to fix it!

Z
Yep, I picked up my car today and as it turns out, they replaced the dipstick tube (which was burned somehow), the gasket for the valve cover, the valve cover itself, and another gasket (which I can't remember where,) and I had to get going on my next journey so my receipt is at home and don't have access to it now.

I am glad to say, that after several hundred more miles put on today, no leaks, no bad odors, amd performance seems to be up to par.

I will continue to keep you posted.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”