begin spring '06, out of hibernation
interior completely gutted, dry ice is awesome.. also stripping the excess seam sealer off everything to make sure rust isn't lurking underneath.
stripped engine bay. rusty and dirty as hell
rusty seams in front wheel wells
bottom of passenger side quarter panel
driver's side not nearly as bad
burning the bushings out of the subframe
and so the rust attacking commences...
started grinding those front shock tower plates
this crap was way too deep and i could see stuff hiding under there still, so i decided to just drill it (both sides) off, good thing i did
one coat of rust bullet sprayed on
wasted time on the upper radiator support next.. lots of rust hiding sandwiched between here
got to sandblasting a little bit. here is my sandblasting outfit
after spraying with rust bullet
new shock tower plates cut out and painted
front wheel wells and battery tray next.
my first attempt at cutting some metal out= horrible haha
battery tray patch cut out and welded up (i was a n00b at welding back then..)
wire-wheeled all the rubber/grime out of the wheel wells
stopped for a couple months for winter
picked up again spring '07..
i gave up on my radiator supports and decided to just get new ones and replace mine
got the upper support off, test fitting the new one
got the bottom one off
man this thing was super crusty
engine bay sanded down and rusty spots getting grinded down before sandblasting
decided to cut a few pieces out, i hate rusty seams!!
after blasting and spraying rust bullet
then i welded on the new radiator supports and shock tower plates
then i found another surprise
tried doing a little bit of cutting and gave up, saving it for later.
blasted the front wheel wells next, and coated with rust bullet
xenon lip came!
summer '07.. someone tell me if i'm crazy
starting on the journey through hell..
after countless hours and days later, working like this..
(yes i know the die grinder is on my balls/crotch)
(this is only 1 day's worth of crap, i was out there for like 5 or 6 days..)
the end result...
man, i don't think i want to ever do that again... being out in the 80 degree+ humid NJ summer weather wearing coveralls/ski mask/etc on my back for a few days.. holy SH*T is all i have to say..
after that i figured it was time for some welding
and painted up with more rust bullet
also finally painted over these welds
just some comparison pics of the engine bay after the rust fixage
now the hard part.
started on the rear section first (basically from rear seats back)
and some rust bullet
and then, a full spray
started the floor section next
rusty seat mount
where the e-brake cable goes through
glad i got that off...
wtf, i thought i was done with this crap...
after a little bit of cutting and poking
after a lot of cutting
edit- read on
in short, my plans for the car is to be rust free with brand new parts everywhere, basically a "brand new" car that i can drive daily on the street and is reliable (for the most part), with my own tasteful mods.
a brief list of what's left to do:
finish fixing rust on floor section
remove glass and sand everything down for paint
get most of the suspension powdercoated
new poly bushings installed
throw everything back together
anyways, i guess that's about it for now. thanks for looking and let me know what you guys think.