m tr4nch's restoration/build thread !! (56k = death)

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
stk240atx044
Car: 1993 240sx S13 hatch

Damn when I took a look at the first page I didnt expect much but as I got to the bottom I was pretty shocked.. sweet build thread man...nice job on the detail, I hope i can remember to take pictures of my progress as I take mine from its stock demeanor and 2jz the s*** outta it. Beware when considering your paint choice tho..Black shows EVERYTHING!!! I just got mine resprayed super black and I hate it... I am considering another respray when I do my tear down, maybe BMW gunmetal silver. :naughty:

Anyway, Keep up the good work... look forward to seeing the finished product :dblthumb:

dgms240
Car: '90 s13 hatch ka24det

awesome work man! any updates on this?

RCA

One of the best threads on NICO...

Any estimated time for completion?

m tr4nch
Car: RS13, Z31, P11

haven't had much time lately to get anything done, BUT i did receive my latest nissan order (and quite possibly the last)...

kouki tail kit :naughty:
$400 shipped :biggrin:

all new front bumper brackets

new seatbelt buckles. they were free with the lifetime seatbelt warranty so i figured might as well get them.
didn't get any other components since i plan on going with some new oem 180sx manual belts.

still waiting on a fog light switch and bracket.

troskinatior
Car: A Two Tone Piggy Coupe

I love you.

m tr4nch

troskinatior wrote:I love you.
:inoutgay: :eek: lolz

anyways, forgot to post this picture..

the boxes the kouki tails come in have this really nice cloth padding inside to protect the lamps.

:bigthumb:

ska69
Car: 200sx s13 ca18det

great resto!

btw, what's the p/n for the brackets? I bought the same fog lights (thanks to you :biggrin:) but didn't receive any brackets...lol..

ska69

oh, that cloth padding is really nice :naughty:

m tr4nch

ska69 wrote:great resto!

btw, what's the p/n for the brackets? I bought the same fog lights (thanks to you :biggrin:) but didn't receive any brackets...lol..
thanks! which lights are you talking about? the canadian DRL's? i don't know the part number for those brackets (they don't show in the FAST program since i don't have the canadian database), the ones in that picture are for the turn signals.

S13_RB25
Car: A 240 but no RB yet!

Damn nice build bro. By the way where are you located at in NJ??

JoseBronx

:hat

m tr4nch

S13_RB25 wrote:Damn nice build bro. By the way where are you located at in NJ??
thanks man. i live in belmar.
JoseBronx wrote::hat
:dblthumb:

ska69

m tr4nch, yep the DRL's (I call them fog lights :gapteeth: )...I believe they are the same as pathfinder lights.

I was referring to this
:)

m tr4nch

ska69 wrote:m tr4nch, yep the DRL's (I call them fog lights :gapteeth: )...I believe they are the same as pathfinder lights.

I was referring to this
:)
ah okay, yeah i meant fog light switch, and a (rear bumper) bracket, lol
no idea on the ones that go in the bumper for the DRL's.

ska69

seems I misread you :blush: I found some pathfinder fog light brackets @ ebay not long ago, but lost the link them :crazy: I guess I'll have to fabricate something. :yesnod

once again, great project! :mike Truly aspiring...I must've re-read this thread 3-5 times :gapteeth: picked up a lot from it too :chuckle:

my resto's not global as yours but it made my car look much better, maybe I'll post some pics later on :)

TimTurboZ
Car: 95 S14 w/RBXX... 65' Mustang GT

So...whats up with the car? Also you welded up your battery tray...no FMIC to go with the RB? Also what are your plans for the motor, just finally piece the car together and run the RB stock?

splintercell
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx HB
1991 Nissan Silvia

what gauge and width steel did you use on frame rail? i need too cut out a section in rear near towhook.

m tr4nch

TimTurboZ wrote:So...whats up with the car? Also you welded up your battery tray...no FMIC to go with the RB? Also what are your plans for the motor, just finally piece the car together and run the RB stock?
i welded up the tray so there's a solid piece there, i'll be cutting a hole out for the IC piping when i get to that point. as for the RB, my plan is to just do the normal swap-maintenance parts replacements like water pump, belts, gaskets and what not for now and drop it in stock. i'll drive it around stock to get used to it, and eventually i'll shoot for hp in the low to mid 300's. that should be plenty for me.
splintercell wrote:what gauge and width steel did you use on frame rail? i need too cut out a section in rear near towhook.
for the frame rail i used 16 gauge steel, which i believe is thicker than stock (18 gauge i think?).

239am
Car: '91 240sx fastback

What a build you have taken on. I just joined up here and bought a 240 this weekend (third one but first in a couple years). I'd love to do a resto like this in the future. What kinda background do you have that your able to do all the labor yourself. When I began reading it said you have no automotive experience, but it looks like you have a good idea of welding and painting if you taught yourself where did you start? Sorry if you mentioned it i did my best to try and read all your posts. My sister lives in Neptune maybe if theirs ever an eastcoast meet up I could stay with her to see that in all its greatness when done!

ridge
Car: 2002 GGP IS300 5 speed

hows it coming along? have you even started putting the car back together?

m tr4nch

239am wrote:What a build you have taken on. I just joined up here and bought a 240 this weekend (third one but first in a couple years). I'd love to do a resto like this in the future. What kinda background do you have that your able to do all the labor yourself. When I began reading it said you have no automotive experience, but it looks like you have a good idea of welding and painting if you taught yourself where did you start? Sorry if you mentioned it i did my best to try and read all your posts. My sister lives in Neptune maybe if theirs ever an eastcoast meet up I could stay with her to see that in all its greatness when done!
thanks man. it's true, i had no experience of working on a car pretty much at all before i started this. i am very mechanically inclined though, which i think helped. i just did a ton of reading and learned as i went along basically. same goes with welding and the small amount of painting i've done. i guess you could call all of this "practice" as if i were to do another car, it wouldn't take me nearly as long. where are you from? i know a bunch of people from neptune and i drive through there every day :bigthumb:
ridge wrote:hows it coming along? have you even started putting the car back together?
no, not yet. i am really almost done with the actual restoration part, just a few more things left. speaking of which, i'll have some small updates coming soon, within the next week i'd imagine :biggrin:

splintercell
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx HB
1991 Nissan Silvia

:bigthumb: :popcorn:

punkmonkey0913
Car: 91' 240 coupe

nuts

239am
Car: '91 240sx fastback

m tr4nch wrote:
thanks man. it's true, i had no experience of working on a car pretty much at all before i started this. i am very mechanically inclined though, which i think helped. i just did a ton of reading and learned as i went along basically. same goes with welding and the small amount of painting i've done. i guess you could call all of this "practice" as if i were to do another car, it wouldn't take me nearly as long. where are you from? i know a bunch of people from neptune and i drive through there every day :bigthumb:
I am from Cincinnati, but my sister and brother in law live there, but I visit once and a while. I am going to start my build in the spring hopefully I will make the car like new again, but it doesn't seem to have as much rust. I do need new rocker panels tho :ohno:
thats the one panel, but the other is the same. I found the parts on partsfornissans.com is it extremely hard to do do you know? Cant wait for the update and cant believe you have been up to this for like 5 years right?

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

239, that part fo sheetmetal is actually part of the rear quarter panel. The rocker starts at the door sill and runs to the front.

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

I know it's from July, but where are you getting brand new 180sx seatbelts? Or were you just talking about getting some new (meaning used from an importer) belts? thanks.

m tr4nch

239am wrote:I am from Cincinnati, but my sister and brother in law live there, but I visit once and a while. I am going to start my build in the spring hopefully I will make the car like new again, but it doesn't seem to have as much rust. I do need new rocker panels tho :ohno:
thats the one panel, but the other is the same. I found the parts on partsfornissans.com is it extremely hard to do do you know? Cant wait for the update and cant believe you have been up to this for like 5 years right?
ah i see.
yeah i'm gonna have to say the difficulty to cut that out and replace is on the higher side. take a look at ca20det's thread, he had to do the same thing. hijacker's right, it's part of the quarter panel.
and yeah, passed the 5 year mark this summer :frown: lol
homeslicej2 wrote:I know it's from July, but where are you getting brand new 180sx seatbelts? Or were you just talking about getting some new (meaning used from an importer) belts? thanks.
i plan to order a set from west covina nissan here: http://www.thenismoshop.com/ikorb.php?f ... t_id=13090

indomiekid1
Car: S14.

very awesome!!!!!!!!!! :bigthumb:

m tr4nch

okay so i've been slacking with the updates.. been at the garage the last couple weeks trying to get some things done.

decided i'm going to re-do the shock tower reinforcements. reason being that i wasn't great at welding when i originally did them, and i used 20 gauge sheet (same as stock). i'll be using 16 gauge this time.

still clean under there after 3 years :biggrin:

new pieces cut out

door hinge patches are done, ready to be welded up

frame rail patches are done, ready to be welded. the two pieces in front will be welded inside those two rear pieces for added strength.

patched up the hole in the floor where the driver's right foot rests.

patched up the bottom of the passenger door below the speaker opening.

thought this was pretty cool. metal shavings/dust on the floor aligned with the welder's ground cable and wire-feed cable from the current running through them.

anyways, that's all for now. next on the list is to sandblast part of my fenders where there is a little bit of pitted rust on the inside that a wire wheel couldn't take care of.
will have more soon. :bigthumb:

StricNyne

nice nice nice

Return to “240sx General Discussion”