Lug nuts "stiction" sound - could this lead to broken pieces

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
new989
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa; 5-speed

Hello,

I was planning on rotating my tires since my front set are balding and I've been sliding in the rain with just moderate braking. I tried taking off the rear tires first. I used my car jack handle as a breaker bar while trying to loosen the lug nuts and heard a crack sound. I then tried on a front tire - same thing for two nuts. I definitely thought I broke something but nothing looks broken. I looked online for similar symptoms and some people report that this stiction. Since I have around 60k on the odo. I have never taken the rear tires off so i'm hoping nothing did indeed break. I have given up now as i'm afraid that i'll break a stud/nut or something. Should I continue?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

At some point they have to come off to change tires. Better sooner than later. If air rachet used that can do it but simply leaving them on for a while can do it.

Put some grease or antiseize on the angle the nut seats against and that helps in the future. Make SURE though that you get the nuts back on good and tight.

new989
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa; 5-speed

Thanks. I went ahead and unloosened all 16 nuts. It only happened two more times but I looked at the rotor bolts and all looked okay unless there's a hairline crack I can't see. Got my tires rotated and sprayed every front strut, joint, control arm, etc. with Boeshield T-9 and now I have a creaking sound that I had before get worse.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”