Lug nut torque?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Hey all,

I put my winters on last week and torqued them to 80 ft/lbs, which seems to be to spec. I checked them after ~70 km, and a few of them needed tightening. I decided to check again after another 70 km, and some of them needed tightening again. The fronts seem to need it more than the rears.

The wheels are aftermarket Enkei's with tuner lugs. Should I be torquing them to a higher spec? I don't think I'll feel comfortable until I try and they don't move at all.

Thanks all!

EX-KAT-35
Car: EX35, V70R, Civic

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=EX/2009/WT

This one is easy:

Follow the above link to the last page (p106). All the Service Manuals are posted live on this site.

:dblthumb:

Its also possible the lug not doesn't match the seat in the wheel? See images below. What do I know I'm a office girl. Everything I know my boyfriend taught me...

EX35WinterBeater

I knew the torque was 80 ft/lbs for the lugs, I already researched that part. It was more the question about them loosening, or if aftermarket items might require more torque.

I think the lugs marched the wheels alright, I'll have to double check.

Any other ideas?

macgiver

mac here , hey EX-KAT-35 gives the first sensible question , since aftermarker ENKEI your running ,and EX-KAT-35's 5 wheel chart with the different shape seats - thus needing those odd(not ALL odd) shaped lugs, and I will add huge selection exists out in world so just not limited to these 5 styles ! Just my opinion that the combinations ,lug + seat surface which are curved maybe the cullpret - slight mismatch of a close ,but no cigar situation , maybe yours , that "never really get/stay tight after properly torqued ! This easy test can reveal those , but may also "shed light" on the "Flat and the"Mag" types too. Anti-seize is fully coated ,thinly on lug and the wheel seat ,then push the lug into an "unmounted wheel" hole- make steady pressure and pull away from wheel and examine lug mating suface vs wheel "seat surfaces" and do like with "Plastigage" that measures bearing clearance/abnornal fit of engine's bearing fit. A nice squished out antisieze - leaving just trace of a film ,I'd say they are an intended "mate" , but if a heavier area of antisieze remains probably means not a matching "contour" and torquing that situation likely gets looser & looser on it's own .Lastly universal rule on whl. lugs/studs = lug & stud threads NO LUBE ! Brakeleen even ,then clean & dry ,wirebrush even ; Lug "mating surface & wheel hole's concave mating surface MAY have light film of antisieze so asnot to "gall" , also alleviates that three stooges sound effect of nails pulling out of a coffin , & eases removal , stopped w/flat . :dblthumb: :biggrin: Glen 11/9/2017

EX35WinterBeater

I checked them this morning and they all were properly torqued. I'll check them again in a week and if they're good, I can rest easy. Maybe I'm just crazy haha.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”