Lug nut issues?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
nebojsa_o
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE, 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL, 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

I feel ridiculous having to make a post about this, but I have never had this issue with any other car. I got my new rims, and tires mounted and balanced, and wanted to put them on today. I grabbed my tools, and tried to take off the factory lug nuts. My 21mm socket is too tight, and doesn't fit. I tried a 22mm but that is too loose. I checked 13/16" and 7/8" as well, and neither of those fits properly. So I decided to grab the one from the trunk under the spare. That one doesn't fit either... It's very close, just like the 21mm, but it's not going on there. The nuts have some scratch marks on them, and that's about it, no obvious issues or signs of abuse by whoever in the past. I'm about 90% sure I could get the 21mm or factory one to fit if I hammered it on there, but I am worried about not being able to get the nuts out of the socket later... Has anyone seen something like this before?

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Some lug nuts can "swell" in wet condition areas. These lug nuts have a steel core and the and a polished cap. Rust forms between the two layers causing them to swell and not fit the OEM werech or sockets. The polished cap can also get distorted, twisted, etc, during regular servicing. There are actually 21.5mm sockets that most mechanics have and will use for this situation.

If you don't have and/or can't find a 21.5mm sockets use a 21mm socket to get them out. If they get stuck you can put something through the socket opening and tap them out. Then inspect and replace them with a solid one piece lug nut. AND. then post some pics of the new wheels and tires on your ride!

nebojsa_o
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE, 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL, 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

I have never heard of such a thing, but it does make sense. I rechecked earlier, and out of the 20 lug nuts, a 21mm socket fits exactly 1 of them, lol. I have never heard of a 21.5mm socket, but do have a couple buddies that might have something like that. If not, 21mm and hammer will have to do. Unfortunately I am going to work out of town tomorrow again so I can't try anything until next weekend. I will post pics once I manage to do all this. Any recommendations on lug nuts? I found some locally that are open end, which I'm not sure how I feel about. Also, my wheels are a graphite finish, so probably black, or gunmetal gray of some sort. Thanks for the response!

ArmedAviator
Car: 2012 M37x

I've always got capped lug nuts from JC Whitney in the past.

Altered
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x

I've used black Volk lugnuts which were amazing but they are pricey. Also, "Spline" type closed end ones work well with aftermarket wheels, since they fit where factory ones don't and usually they have a stop built into them so the lug key doesn't touch the wheel. I would look for anodized ones though because the black finish seems to come off otherwise after use.

Debonair

Open ended lugs seem more at home on race style wheels and cars IMO. I would go closed end. I am using TPI lug nuts in chrome. They come in a titanium (gun metal) color too (HERE).

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Debonair wrote:Open ended lugs seem more at home on race style wheels and cars IMO. I would go closed end. I am using TPI lug nuts in chrome. They come in a titanium (gun metal) color too (HERE).
I wonder if anyone has the Neon Chrome kind...they look cool in pics but don't know how they'd look on a car...lol.

GQM45s
Car: 2008 Infiniti M45 Sport Tech Pkg, Advance Tech Pkg, Mobile Entertainment Pkg

These are my lugs on my Waffes. btw our thread pitch is 12x1.25 do not mistaken for 1.5 and try to force them in. Otherwise you will need new studs

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Can you put up any distance shots? I want to see what it would like from 20ft or whatever...like someone rolling past you in a gas station or something lol.

GQM45s
Car: 2008 Infiniti M45 Sport Tech Pkg, Advance Tech Pkg, Mobile Entertainment Pkg

Far enough? also every angle you look it the color is different

other pics

my friend's neo chrome lugs

Ilya

Okay cool...so it doesn't really stand out all that much at a distance which is what I want. Only if you get close. I think I'll give them a try. Thanks.

GQM45s

mine are 44 mm in length, there are a variety of options in length, i would measure your lug depth on your wheels first and see how much it would poke out or if you want it to poke out that much

Debonair

GQM45s wrote:mine are 44 mm in length, there are a variety of options in length, i would measure your lug depth on your wheels first and see how much it would poke out or if you want it to poke out that much
I was about to post this too. Great advice. I went back and forth between longer and shorter lugnuts before deciding on short.

GQM45s

i was considering short as well, but with my wheels they almost sit flush on the face and with fat fingers its harder for me to take in and out, dont want to use an impact gun all the time cause i am afraid of the nuts or studs stripping

nebojsa_o

Well, the drivers side was extra awful. I bought a impact ready 21mm socket, and hammered it on there. Worked well enough, but I hope I never have to do it again. Passenger side had the same issue, but not nearly as bad, a few light taps with the hammer did the trick on that side. I ended up getting some Muteki SR35 lug nuts at a local shop. They had some 44mm ones, but I wasn't a huge fan how much they stick out. These fit great, and don't stick out. Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll make a new thread with a couple quick pictures right away.

jmissile
Car: 2011 m56s

I've got gloss black sport 20's and wish I could find a pic of some neochrome lug nuts. Anyone here rockin some? The caps on my factory ones are all boogered up and i need to do my brakes so trying to find some nice ones to replace them with but I don't want them to stick out or be open ended. Wouldn't be a good combo with that style wheel I'll. Any ideas?

Debonair

Measure the depth of the lugnut well and then find some closed-end lugs in the closest measurement to flush with the wheel face. If they are not sticking out they should look fine and add some subtle color to your wheels, IMO of course. I say go for it.

jmissile

jmissile wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:53 pm
I've got gloss black sport 20's and wish I could find a pic of some neochrome lug nuts. Anyone here rockin some? The caps on my factory ones are all boogered up and i need to do my brakes so trying to find some nice ones to replace them with but I don't want them to stick out or be open ended. Wouldn't be a good combo with that style wheel imo. Any ideas?

jmissile

I was looking at some options but most of them don't have the washer setup like the ones on my car now. I'm guessing they're the original oem ones. Would it be ok to replace them with the other type with the conical seat design on the factory sport 20s without damaging something or does it need to be the washer kind? These seem to be the most common aftermarket type and I'm not seeing a bunch with the washer...

jmissile

Anyone on here have the 20' sport rims and are using different type of lugnuts that don't have the washer? I don't know if I can run any of the other styles out there without having any issues, such as not providing the proper clamping force, messing up the rim where the washer previously seats on. Or is it possible the rim is machined in a way to accept both types of fastener?

EdBwoy

I wouldn't run anything other than the mag seat/ flat washer type because of the wheel itself. Washers do play a role especially on the flat mount surface because you are tightening steel nuts on aluminum - mainly prevents galling of the wheel.

Have you tried sourcing the correct lug nuts from the dealer or an online seller? 40224JK00A is the part number that goes with the sport wheels as well as many other cars, and can be found rather cheaply on eBay. Or do you expressly intend to get a different color?

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”